Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:17:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about sick as a pike

Started by imitationleather, July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It seems from this tweet by Richard's partner's studio that it was Covid which he died from too.

https://twitter.com/PremisesStudios/status/1281181713176186881

Barry Admin

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 09, 2020, 12:58:09 PM
It seems from this tweet by Richard's partner's studio that it was Covid which he died from too.

Thought so. RIP.

touchingcloth

FUCK. One of the best of us :( I was only thinking about him and how he must be coping following his partner's death yesterday. FUCK.

Edit: a warning about the twitter link above, but it includes a picture of him and his partner, and seeing it has affected me quite badly.

no_offenc

Ach that's fucking horrible. Poor sod. RIP Pikey.

TrenterPercenter

pancreas

Quote from: Flouncer on July 09, 2020, 12:04:48 PM
Argh, this is awful news. These threads are always a gut punch, but Pike was a fascinating poster. I often used to think when reading his posts, how lucky we were as comedy nerds to have him around. I knew he'd got some impressive writing credits but reading the CV on his management company's page, I realise he's contributed to loads of stuff I've enjoyed over the years. As others have said, an acutely talented bloke but really down to earth - you never got the sense that he was bragging or setting out to impress people when he mentioned his involvement in stuff. Very sad news indeed.

+1

koeman

This is just so awful. So, so sad.

I still remember the thrill of working out who he was and realising I knew his name from The Fast Show credits. To share a forum with someone who wrote sketches I knew and loved - amazing. Wish I'd told him. RIP Pikey.

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 09, 2020, 01:30:31 PM
FUCK. One of the best of us :( I was only thinking about him and how he must be coping following his partner's death yesterday. FUCK.

Edit: a warning about the twitter link above, but it includes a picture of him and his partner, and seeing it has affected me quite badly.

Sorry - should have thought before posting.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sad news indeed. I can't remember any particular interaction I had with him over the years, but, much like the rest of us, I was always impressed by what a class act he was regarding criticism.
R.I.P

buttgammon

How horrible that it was Covid of all things - utterly heartbreaking.

greencalx

This is indeed grim news. RIP both of them.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 09, 2020, 01:51:26 PM
Sorry - should have thought before posting.

Don't be sorry. It's a lovely picture, it just hit me hard so I thought I'd mention it for other tender flowers.

Consignia

This is so very sad to hear. Didn't interact with him much, but always did love his little anecdotes he slipped in here and there. So tragic that both he and his wife got taken by COVID, in such a short period of time.

Mister Six

Horrendous news. Was never lucky enough to meet him in person, but I can certainly believe all the kind words. My condolences to all his friends on here, and of course his family and everyone else who knew him.

EOLAN

Watched one of his Fast Show sketches earlier  wonderful stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktRFK-HeuU

Not knowing him but seemed like a wonderful sweet guy. Rest in Peace and condolences to all his those close to him.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 09, 2020, 09:17:42 AM...I did want to share one thing that I think this place in particular will enjoy, him once telling me that Simon Hoggart had given his sitcom Sunnyside Farm an absolute kicking in his review, in the Telegraph, I think, culminating in something not too far from 'and I hope the creators of this awful piece of shit die in a horrific train crash'. Except Richard was giggling while he told me this.

ME: I don't get it, why are you laughing?
RICH: Because every morning, he and I come into London on the same train.

Many thanks for sharing that - I wasn't expecting that something would make me laugh in this thread, let alone something that I feel has a lesson.

I've always been very fond of Sunnyside Farm and remember Richard kindly taking the trouble to give me a bit more information about the show, which I always appreciated and was totally in keeping in his posts here.

Thanks again for sharing that - it's helped to push to the forefront of how many laughs Richard inspired and how missed he is/will be.

touchingcloth

He was always great about talking about the process of writing, and giving insights into some of the shows he has worked on. Always interesting, never show-offy, a loss to the forum.

Alberon

I once remarked that the one good line from The Strangerers was "Look! Dog eggs!" which turned out to be a line he had written.

Also, I've said it before here, though probably not enough, but I always really liked Green Wing.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: koeman on July 09, 2020, 01:50:47 PM
To share a forum with someone who wrote sketches I knew and loved - amazing. Wish I'd told him.

I know how you feel, but I'm sure that his humble attitude here was a sign that he didn't need to be told, and he knew he was among the best company who would have appreciated his work on a sincere, singular human level. CaB, especially in the last decade, has always been very open-minded place regarding comedy discussion. It's not the same as showcasing your talents to a large, faceless audience; everyone has their own valid opinion and if there's anywhere on earth you can guarantee sharing warm anecdotes about working on classic comedy would be well received by everyone individually, it's right here.

Sorry, not sure if this post is necessary. My point is that I'm sure that even if he was too humble to accept that he was loved here, he surely knew that whatever he contributed would be welcomed with open arms. He was one of us, and he was one of the greats.

SpiderChrist

Oh what utterly fucking crap news. Rest in peace.

Brundle-Fly

I believe it was Richard who came up with one of my favorite comic misunderstandings in a sketch ever. At the 5 minute mark.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=701121280037388

Shit Good Nose

Fuck!

Terrible news.

On the bright side, he leaves a good amount of quality work behind him which any creative type would be proud of.

Years ago (in my previous CaB guise) I once admitted to him that I thought Sunnyside Farm was one of his weaker works (although nothing anywhere near as bad as wishing a train crash on him), but also said I'd always had the feeling that time would be VERY kind to the show, which I think has happened in more recent years.  Slightly more recently I also remember we had a to-and-fro about Jurgen the German (which I think he was mostly responsible for[?]), which he suspected would be cancelled (although at that point that wasn't the term everyone was using) and I was very confident in saying that it was far too over the top and ridiculous (in a comedy way) to worry about that.  Seems he had his finger on the pulse early...

RIP pikey.

niat

RIP sick as a pike.

I knew he was in the industry but it was only when I saw this thread and put it together with tweets I'd seen from comedians over the last couple of days that I put a real name to his user name. Very sad, he was always very insightful and seemed like a nice chap.

Harry Badger

Quote from: niat on July 09, 2020, 03:05:10 PM
RIP sick as a pike.

I knew he was in the industry but it was only when I saw this thread and put it together with tweets I'd seen from comedians over the last couple of days that I put a real name to his user name. Very sad, he was always very insightful and seemed like a nice chap.

Same here. An absolute gem of a poster. Very very sad news.

idunnosomename

I'm sorry I did love Jurgen the German. Trying to remember what my top fav And Chums line was his. It'll come to me

koeman

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 09, 2020, 02:46:07 PM
Sorry, not sure if this post is necessary. My point is that I'm sure that even if he was too humble to accept that he was loved here, he surely knew that whatever he contributed would be welcomed with open arms. He was one of us, and he was one of the greats.

You're right. Well said.

thugler

Really horrible news, so sad. Had no idea about the writing, and seems like he contributed to a lot of stuff I dug. That christian cops sketch in the fast show was one of my faves as well.

RIP pike

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 09, 2020, 02:46:07 PM
I know how you feel, but I'm sure that his humble attitude here was a sign that he didn't need to be told, and he knew he was among the best company who would have appreciated his work on a sincere, singular human level. CaB, especially in the last decade, has always been very open-minded place regarding comedy discussion. It's not the same as showcasing your talents to a large, faceless audience; everyone has their own valid opinion and if there's anywhere on earth you can guarantee sharing warm anecdotes about working on classic comedy would be well received by everyone individually, it's right here.

Yes, absolutely. I was genuinely really upset when I read this last night, and as I read more about him I realized how many little comedy things he wrote that meant (and still mean) a great deal to me growing up, and I never mentioned it to him. Then I thought it sounded a bit self-involved (I%u2019m sure he%u2019d give a massive shit about my opinion) so I didn't post it.

Reading your words has helped. Thank you.

Jack Shaftoe

Because I had a couple of people ask: I can confirm that Richard's cats* are fine and being looked after by his two tenants.

This is all going to be very weird, whenever I was in any kind of meeting with Richard, he was always the first person I'd email after to say 'what was all that about? Did you think X was being weird?' He was my sensible touchstone.

Also I don't think the other writers I've worked with on various projects with him would mind me saying his stuff was absolutely what I read first when it appeared in my inbox, or on the corner of the end of the table at the end of the day. That's my favourite memory of him, this little pile of quietly hysterical madness that if I was lucky I'd get to read before anyone else.

* correction: one cat and a small horse, apparently, jesus christ, did I even know this man at all?