Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about sick as a pike

Started by imitationleather, July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Having great difficulty in believing it.

idunnosomename

i must say i do rather like how one of his final posts here was, in his usually modest way, taking down Graham Linehan claiming, through cruel demented hubris, sole creation of the "beloved comedy moment" of kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse. final kick up the arse. cheers pike

Jack Shaftoe

Gary Howe (Rich's writing partner on many projects) has set up a JustGiving page for Richard, to donate to Angel Comedy Trust:

QuoteA restricted fund operating under the auspices of Prism the Gift Fund Registered Charity No: 1099682. Our aim is to transform lives by providing accessible live comedy, enabling participation in comic writing and performance, and advocating recognition of comedy as an art form.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gary-howe4?fbclid=IwAR211NPUlIuQvnH2ooa5mIryC8_exOxLlaAKDA3Nddlaiy_XkifThFrS4kY

Barry Admin

Dewt

It absolutely blew my mind when we'd be talking about comedy here and he'd just casually relate an anecdote about being involved with it, as humble as can be.

Enzo

Just saw this horrendous news. By far my favourite poster on here. RIP

Leee

Absolutely awful news. I met him a couple of times, including the 10th anniversary meet, and we had a little chat on Facebook from time to time. I'm also very proud to say that I was once the proud owner of his copy of Blazing Saddles on VHS. Lovely bloke, and a shit way to go.

Among his many comedy credits, he also wrote for the ITV Saturday night game show Scavengers, in which "Commander John Leslie" hammed his way through an intergalactic Crystal Maze rip-off in the mid-90s. A show that I, in my delinquency, loved, and was absolutely fascinated to find out more about. To his credit (or otherwise), he indulged me more than once.

Fucking Covid.

idunnosomename

I wondered if we could go through his post history and find the mentions of the bits he wrote? if that's not too creepy? if we divvied it up wouldn't take too long. there was one enfield bit i was a bit starstruck to find out he wrote and im curious what it was.

Jack Shaftoe

Rich's sister has put up an online memorial here: https://www.mykeeper.com/profile/RichardPreddy2/

QuoteRichard will be remembered by everyone he met as a kind, generous, funny, caring man with a gentle soul and a wicked sense of the ridiculous.

Once you had met Richard, he would be impossible to forget.

Richard was born in Farnborough Kent, September 1966. John and Barbara Preddy's first child, and then they gave him an annoying little sister, Sarah who came along 4 years later.

Richard spent his very early years worrying his Mother by being polite, extremely well behaved and quietly staring into space. Some of you may know him as Ian, the name he was given at birth, but later he decided that Ian was a name for an oaf, so he changed it to Richard. Which he considered to be the name of someone clever and important.

He attended Biggin Hill Infant and Junior School, and then completed his secondary education at Hayes School, making many friends, and creating lasting memories with his in class room antics and drama performances.  He was an intelligent soul, albeit a bit lazy.

At Kent University he studied Drama and Theology before dropping Theology on the grounds that "nobody knows anything about God, especially not God".  It was Kent where he met his first writing partner Gary Howe and first caught a glimpse of Julia.

After spending two weeks with Gary Howe in the University recording studio writing and recording a one minute comedy sketch about a man stealing a Mars bar they both determined there and then to make a career of it. A mere 11 years later they decided to do something about it and sent material to Harry Enfield who said 'Yeah alright' to a few pages. The rest is history (not all of it, just that bit)

During the aforementioned history bit he spent 14 happy years with his then partner Laura Gibbons and they became affectionately known as 'The Twickenham Two' to the local police force.

On moving full-time to rural Kent Richard threw himself into country life.

He become an accidental business man, when on a whim in the pub one evening with friends, the Bee Friendly Seed company was formed. This suited his ethical and caring nature.

He arrived Elham as the enigmatic townie, then to amazement of his Elham friends he and Julia announced they were off to pursue their rural dreams. They bought the 10-acre, Pastoral Farm at Wootton. Richard adapted so readily to the change in lifestyle and he was now to be found wearing wellies and a holey jumper and feeding sheep, still in a slightly enigmatic fashion.

He finally added Airbnb Superhost to his portfolio of skills.

He endeared himself to the countryfolk of Elham and Wootton and made so many good friends around the area.

In Richards words 'I really wish you hadn't died; I think it was a bad plan all around.'

He will be greatly missed by many.

the

This got a guffaw out of me:

QuoteAfter spending two weeks with Gary Howe in the University recording studio writing and recording a one minute comedy sketch about a man stealing a Mars bar they both determined there and then to make a career of it. A mere 11 years later they decided to do something about it and sent material to Harry Enfield

I like hearing about other peoples' catastrophic procrastination, always makes me feel better.

Morrison Lard

Awwww, this sucks :-(

RIP sick as a pike

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: the on July 17, 2020, 12:32:19 PMI like hearing about other peoples' catastrophic procrastination, always makes me feel better.

Indeed, but it invites the question of what did he spend those intervening 11 years doing?

Lovely tribute, btw.

Cerys

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 19, 2020, 04:16:12 PM
Indeed, but it invites the question of what did he spend those intervening 11 years doing?

I got an email from him ages ago in which he mentioned that he had a deadline and so was engaged in the far more important task of taking photos of himself with sellotape all over his face.  So probably that.

Neville Chamberlain

Bloody heck, how did I miss this thread?!?

This is terribly shit news. His contributions were always nothing less than hugely guffaw-worthy. Lovely - and a very funny - tribute, by the way.

Huzzie

Heartbreaking news. Love and best wishes to you all.

Jack Shaftoe

Details for Richard's funeral - today, sorry for short notice - if anyone would like to attend online. I'm not, as I attended his partner Julia's online and somehow it's more depressing than actually being there, with none of the nice moments of seeing people you haven't seen for ages and going 'cuh' at. But you may feel differently, in which case have at it.

QuoteWe now have the information for Richard Preddy Webcast of the funeral.

Please log on to

https://www.wesleymedia.co.uk/webcast-view on 30th July at 12 using the following information

Login / Order ID: 41503
Password: mddbqwyk

They suggest that you check your computer or device is compatible before the funeral.
Details of everything below.
Please share to anyone you know who would like to attend via the webcast.
Thank you

Barbara Preddy Pip Hope Sarah Lees

Buelligan

Thanks old love, not sure if I can bear to.  Still, each slow dusk.

Buelligan

I did watch.  I cried but smiled too.  He came in to old Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor, lovely stuff but obvs brought to mind the tragic marvelous Lebowski scene.  The feed kept cutting out so many of the words were lost.  Left hanging, incomprehensible.  Imagining him angelic swishing his long coat about and laughing, presenting a poo on a plate, perhaps garnished with a candle.  I lit one and cried a bit more.  Something very good left.

Mister Six

Jack Shaftoe

well they don't light themselves you IDIOT

Mister Six

Not with that attitude they won't.

Barry Admin

Thanks for keeping us informed Jack, and thanks for representing us Buelligan. I'm afraid I slept all day after another being awake through another fitful night, so am not long up and sadly missed it.

All Surrogate

I've been thinking about what to say, but I've not come up with anything to match the true sadness of the situation. I never met sick as pike, nor interacted with him much here, but given his posts on CaB, it's no surprise that he was repected and loved by many. My deep condolences to his friends and family.

Brundle-Fly

Stumbled across this tonight: Sick As A Pike In the credits. Yaay!

I used to know the singer, Nick Sanderson too. Age 47, June 2008.  Gone.

Look after yourselves, Cabbers xx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYbjq1TifZ0