Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about sick as a pike

Started by imitationleather, July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

What awful, awful news. He seemed like such a lovely, thoughtful, open, funny man. Condolences to all who knew him well.

Ah fuck that's devastating. He was an absolutely lovely bloke, spent a couple of great evenings with him and Julia in the past, he was funny, warm, generous and just such a genuinely nice guy, don't know what to say really. Horrible news.

selectivememory

How sad. Really enjoyed his posts over the years and was sorry to see he was having such a rough time of it recently.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 08:50:55 PM
Oh my god. I meant to call him again over the last day or two but I've really been in a bad way this week, and I know Buelligan and others have been keeping up with him regularly. Fucking hell.

I've been meaning to get in touch. I'm glad people had been keeping up with him. Terribly sad news. He was a lovely man, and Julia was brilliant too.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 08:59:06 PM
I'm stunned, just sort of sitting here waiting for confirmation that this is a stupid joke. He was the nicest fucking bloke.

He really was. Kind and hilarious.

Famous Mortimer

non capisco

Ah jeez, so sorry to hear this. I've been in quiet awe of him ever since he posted years ago that he co-wrote the Harry Enfield Big Bob Joylove sketches and the Smith and Jones charades sketch. ("Bleep cleep chimney?"). Posted on here as far back as I can remember and always came across as a mint bloke. All my best to anyone who knew him personally. This is such fucking horrible news.

Kelvin

Very sad news. Seemed like a really nice guy, can't remember him ever being a dick, just funny and insightful.

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry to hear that. Seemed like a good guy.

Glebe

Oh no, horrendous... I don't know what to say. Fuck. Rest in deepest Peace dear Pikey. Deepest condolences to his family.

phes

How awful. I didn't know sick as a pike but he was one of the posters who was active best part of twenty years ago when I first came across CaB and so he is an indelible part of this place that I love so much. Really sorry to hear what he had been through and thoughts are with everyone here who has lost this friend and fellow poster.

Barry Admin

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,68445.msg4207143.html#msg4207143

Quote from: sick as a pike
Quote from: via Twit 2, previous pageI have abandoned the dream kitchens for a low fire
and a prescriptive literature of the spirit... etc
(Derek Mahon)
In the wake of grief, this has done for me. 
For reasons of stupendous vanity but also comfort, here's me rendering it less poetic today.

https://vocaroo.com/35KWfkuuFMB

Barry Admin

Quote from: non capisco on July 08, 2020, 09:39:26 PM
Ah jeez, so sorry to hear this. I've been in quiet awe of him ever since he posted years ago that he co-wrote the Harry Enfield Big Bob Joylove sketches and the Smith and Jones charades sketch. ("Bleep cleep chimney?"). Posted on here as far back as I can remember and always came across as a mint bloke. All my best to anyone who knew him personally. This is such fucking horrible news.

He said recently that he'd also come up with the idea for kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse:

Quote from: sick as a pike on May 16, 2020, 11:35:10 AM
Ideas.
I know Graham has a different narrative, but...

Years ago, I was with him and Arthur at a party. We were standing behind lovely producer and extremely important comedy commissioner Geoffrey Perkins.  I seem to remember that Irish ex-president Mary McAleese was there as well.  So, really not a venue or time to be disrespectful.  Which is when I suggested to them that a really great thing to do would be to kick Geoffrey Perkins up the arse, then deny it.

But that seems to have got lost in comedy history, or I'm just flattering myself.

I'm gutted, he was lovely, they both were. I met them at the 10th anniversary meet and he wanted a photo, so I insisted that a more flattering angle - to compensate for my silly height - would involve both of us crouching down awkwardly. He did this without hesitation, and I kicked myself afterwards for being such a dick, because I only did it for a laugh.

paruses

Really sorry to read about this. Will miss his posts. And avatar.

Blue Jam

Sad news. Inventor of SM:TV Live's amazing "Wonky Donkey" and an absolutely sound bloke. Rest in peace.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM
I just saw on Facebook that sick as a pike passed away yesterday.

I don't know any further details but obviously he was much loved on here and so I thought I'd better let everyone know.

Really upset about this. He'd had a very bad few months.

What?

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 08, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
oh no fucking hell. yeah he was mega upset about his partner dying recently (as you would be of course)

What?

Oh, god, I had no idea. This is terrible. I'll miss him posting here.

I met him in 2004 at a CaB London meet, when we went to a Victorian steam fair, and he was great. My condolences to his family and friends, and his partner's family and friends.

gib

Sorry to hear about this. He always came across as a lovely guy on here.

Jockice

idunnosomename

Here is his post here about his partner dying of COVID.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=79642.0

he might have seemed stoic about it but what he posted publicly on facebook is heartwrenching. really really sad about this.

the

He was a frighteningly talented professional comedy writer, and amongst many other things wrote one of my favourite sketches of all time (together with his writing partner):

The Fast Show - Holy Police

Basically a perfect three-minute sketch. Takes the simple conceit of the Fast Show's 'Christians' sketches and completely runs off with it. Not a line wasted.

I'm glad I got a chance to meet him and tell him how brilliant it is. And yes, he really was a nice guy. It doesn't feel right that this should happen.

Absorb the anus burn

dr beat

Terribly sad news.  My deepest condolences.  RIP.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Only early 50s as well ffs

Love the Holy Police sketch. "Even better news: We forgave him and let him go"

Beagle 2

Oh my god, that's horrendous news. Completely stunned by this.

Uncle TechTip

Those of you who reached out to him, thank you.

Thanks for letting us know, imi. He was lovely, funny and warm and it was heartbreaking to see him so lost after his wife's death. Condolences to his loved ones.

idunnosomename

gawd whitehouse and williams really belt out that harmony. lovely stuff

Twit 2

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 09:45:09 PM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,68445.msg4207143.html#msg4207143
(Derek Mahon)
In the wake of grief, this has done for me. 
For reasons of stupendous vanity but also comfort, here's me rendering it less poetic today.

https://vocaroo.com/35KWfkuuFMB

Fuck. I missed that voice recording at the time. I'm glad he got a bit of solace from poetry there. That poem is contained with the essential anthology "Staying Alive", which is full of very powerful poems for reckoning with the enormity of the world.

Desperately sad.

SavageHedgehog

Always enjoyed his posts about his experiences in comedy, and anything else for that matter. R.I.P.

Buelligan

Just got in from work to see this thread.  I just don't know what to say.  Extremely upset I suppose.  What can you fucking do, eh?