Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about sick as a pike

Started by imitationleather, July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: Buelligan on July 08, 2020, 10:42:24 PM
Just got in from work to see this thread.  I just don't know what to say.  Extremely upset I suppose.  What can you fucking do, eh?

Yeah, I wanted to message you, and then I didn't want to. I'm just walking around in the drizzle at the minute feeling miserable and wishing I'd phoned him, or checked when he was last online, or just something.

Bazooka

Terrible. If he came up with the Bishop Brennan arse kicking then he must be solid, how awful.

Thomas

Oh, no, that's horrible news. He seemed to be absolutely, sheerly lovely. Always insightful and funny, and a contributor to comedy that people here love. Such a loss.

Pingers

This is thoroughly shit news - one of those posters whose avatar you clocked and knew you were going to read something really good.

Alberon

Buelligan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 10:48:12 PM
Yeah, I wanted to message you, and then I didn't want to. I'm just walking around in the drizzle at the minute feeling miserable and wishing I'd phoned him, or checked when he was last online, or just something.

Ta Neil.  I did check, then I thought I shouldn't poke my stick in.  Fucking hell.  Don't feel bad, I say that, I feel fucking bad.  Need a bigger catching glove or something.  Fucking hell.

Jake Thingray

When Green Wing was on, he dealt gracefully with how most posters on here hated it. Terribly sorry he's gone, hope he's found some solace, can only offer best wishes to those close to him.

Thomas

Quote from: Jake Thingray on July 08, 2020, 11:14:02 PM
When Green Wing was on, he dealt gracefully with how most posters on here hated it.

Whenever something he was involved with came up, he never bragged or lorded it over the discussion. Just humbly mentioned his involvement if there was a fun or interesting story attached.

Kryton

Mr_Simnock

He was down to earth and very funny , great in harry potter too, will be missed

alan nagsworth

What a terrible loss. I hope he's at peace now, no one should suffer those circumstances, least of all someone so wonderfully talented and kind.

Harpo Speaks

Very sad news. RIP Pike. One of the CaB veterans and I always really enjoyed his contributions in Comedy Chat. Never anything other than humble when discussing sketches he had written and shows he had contributed to.

Dewt

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Thomas on July 08, 2020, 11:17:23 PM
Whenever something he was involved with came up, he never bragged or lorded it over the discussion. Just humbly mentioned his involvement if there was a fun or interesting story attached.
Very true. I remember a story of his where he'd been put out by the diva behaviour of someone in Smack the Pony, but he didn't express any unpleasantness (or name names) where others would have done.

Oddly enough I was watching Open Books (Partridge) yesterday where he mentions Tony Robinson, and I thought of the humorous on-train announcements that Robinson recorded and sick as a pike wrote. "We are now approaching [station name] where this train will start racing against the Underground trains so please cheer on our driver." I've probably mangled that, but still.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 08, 2020, 11:35:49 PM
Very true. I remember a story of his where he'd been put out by the diva behaviour of someone in Smack the Pony, but he didn't express any unpleasantness (or name names).

Oddly enough I was watching Open Books (Partridge) yesterday where he mentions Tony Robinson, and I thought of the humorous on-train announcements that Robinson recorded and sick as a pike wrote. "We are now approaching [station name] where this train will start racing against the Underground trains so please cheer on our driver." I've probably mangled that, but still.

There's a write up on that here.

I know some of us are hurting but please don't feel you could or should have done more. The overwhelming grief he must have been feeling, that sense of loss, I don't think anyone would have been able to cut through that. The poor poor guy. I wish I believed in an afterlife or something. I hope he's at peace and his beloved wife is somehow with him.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on July 08, 2020, 11:17:23 PM

Yes I noticed this as well, a really admirable trait.

Twonty Gostelow

neveragain

Ah God, this is terrible. Rest well pike.

Poor bloke. This has saddened me immensely. RIP

idunnosomename

racing the tube trains is a great gag. lovely article too

Hank the Rapper

Bloody hell, that's sad news. I only chatted a bit with him, but he was utterly lovely. I was actually very close friends with his writing partner, but we drifted away in recent years. Shame, as he was practically a second dad to me, I loved hearing all his dishing about his writing career, which celebs were nice, cunts, etc.

Should I get in contact with his writing partner to tell him? Or may he know already? As far as I know, it was an amicable partnership. Is there any good way to tell anyone their old friend and partner has died?

Sorry, just panicking a little.

Ferris

Quote from: Hank the Rapper on July 09, 2020, 01:48:41 AM
Bloody hell, that's sad news. I only chatted a bit with him, but he was utterly lovely. I was actually very close friends with his writing partner, but we drifted away in recent years. Shame, as he was practically a second dad to me, I loved hearing all his dishing about his writing career, which celebs were nice, cunts, etc.

Should I get in contact with his writing partner to tell him? Or may he know already? As far as I know, it was an amicable partnership. Is there any good way to tell anyone their old friend and partner has died?

Sorry, just panicking a little.

I would guess his writing partner is aware, but I think passing on condolences is entirely reasonable.

I wish I'd told him how much some of those sketches meant to me and how much they formed my comic sensibility and (probably) my personality. I am entirely his fault, is what I'm saying.

H-O-W-L

Cerys

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 09, 2020, 03:13:27 AM
Ah fuck.
Exactly what I said

I hope he went the way he wanted to go.  Give him that, at least.  The choice.  Rest in Peace, Rich.  I'll keep feeling a warm glow when I see your name in the credits.

canadagoose

Sorry to hear this. He seemed like a decent guy, and talented too.

Barry Admin

Cerys

Crabwalk

Ambient Sheep

An utter tragedy.  What can I say but to reiterate what a lovely guy he was.

I met him twice, once at length at the Anchor Meet on London's South Bank in 2004 (the same one as Black Ship and Johnny Yesno did) and again, more briefly, at the tenth anniversary do.  Both times he was terrific company.

As others have said, his humility and grace on here regarding his own work was incredible.  His posts were almost always a terrific read; again, as someone else said, seeing his avatar was a guarantee of quality.

Looking at his management's page, I've become aware that amongst all his other work, he wrote some of Vic & Bob's questions for Shooting Stars, and contributed to Monkey Dust -- I'd love to know which sketches.

And now I find out he was Aubrey Barkus all along.

On a personal note, he was very kind to me back in January when I was in some rather large difficulty, offering to help me out of the blue.  I was truly amazed he would do that for someone he hadn't properly spoken to for over 15 years.

Ach, I'm just waffling along really, because I can't find the right words to express how truly, fornicatingly, awful this is.  Life can be so cruel.

Take care of yourselves, everybody, and R.I.P. to The Wonderful Mr. Pike.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This is awful. Just awful. My heart goes out to his friends and family.