Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about sick as a pike

Started by imitationleather, July 08, 2020, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Sorry to hear about this and also the passing of his partner, which I've only just found out about in this thread. I believe I met them both at a CaB meet (probably the 10th anniversary).

Wilbur

Very sorry to hear this.

Reported here, I don't think its already been linked.

https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/9040/richard-preddy-dies

Bazooka

He wrote for Chucklevision? Great bunch of lads.

Replies From View

I'm so sorry to hear this.  A truly lovely guy.  My condolences to everyone who knew him.

Jockice

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 09, 2020, 04:48:25 AM

Looking at his management's page, I've become aware that amongst all his other work, he wrote some of Vic & Bob's questions for Shooting Stars, and contributed to Monkey Dust -- I'd love to know which sketches.

That's certainly some CV. All I knew about the bloke was through his posts on here. Obviously very talented. Condolences to everyone on here who was friends with him, which seems to be quite a lot of you.

petercussing

Oh no that's terrible, he was an awesome guy!

the midnight watch baboon

RIP to a lovely and talented fella. X

Spoon of Ploff

Jack Shaftoe

(hello, not been here for ages)

Very touched to see the love for Richard all over the internet, he really was an incredibly kind and thoughtful dude. I worked with him on a few things and he was just constantly almost unnecessarily funny without every having to put anyone down or treat it as a competition, which is all too rare in the comedy world. Loads of us were trying to keep an eye on him after Julia's tragic death, but without her I think he just lost that animal need to keep going, even knowing how much everyone around him and online cared for him. He will be much missed.

I did want to share one thing that I think this place in particular will enjoy, him once telling me that Simon Hoggart had given his sitcom Sunnyside Farm an absolute kicking in his review, in the Telegraph, I think, culminating in something not too far from 'and I hope the creators of this awful piece of shit die in a horrific train crash'. Except Richard was giggling while he told me this.

ME: I don't get it, why are you laughing?
RICH: Because every morning, he and I come into London on the same train.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 09, 2020, 09:17:42 AM
(hello, not been here for ages)

Very touched to see the love for Richard all over the internet, he really was an incredibly kind and thoughtful dude. I worked with him on a few things and he was just constantly almost unnecessarily funny without every having to put anyone down or treat it as a competition, which is all too rare in the comedy world. Loads of us were trying to keep an eye on him after Julia's tragic death, but without her I think he just lost that animal need to keep going, even knowing how much everyone around him and online cared for him. He will be much missed.

I did want to share one thing that I think this place in particular will enjoy, him once telling me that Simon Hoggard had given his sitcom Sunnyside Farm an absolute kicking in his review, in the Telegraph, I think, culminating in something not too far from 'and I hope the creators of this awful piece of shit die in a horrific train crash'. Except Richard was giggling while he told me this.

ME: I don't get it, why are you laughing?
RICH: Because every morning, he and I come into London on the same train.

A lovely story.

Thomas

Found the original invective for you, Jack:

Quote'I am sure we shall hear more of [the writers], preferably in a news bulletin about a terrible train crash.'

NoOffenceLynn

Have not been here as long as most of you but quickly learned that seeing Pike's avatar you knew you were gonna a get great post that might include a funny antidote about the behind the scenes shenanigans on one of the shows he worked on, all delivered with charm and humor.

Hope you have found peace now Richard and thank you for making this world a funnier, happier place to be.

Egyptian Feast

So sorry to hear this. One of the CaB greats, a hugely talented writer and an absolute diamond. RIP.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Thomas on July 09, 2020, 09:38:50 AM

And just out of interest, the Andrew Davies who wrote that letter questioning Hoggart's sanity is Andrew Davies the screenwriter, author of A Very Peculiar Practice.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Thomas on July 09, 2020, 09:38:50 AM

Good lord, look at that, and lovely to see Andrew Davies sticking up for Richard. Well, Hoggart died first, so Richard WINS.

AsparagusTrevor

Thursday

Oh this is awful, one of the great people on here.

jutl

Fantastic funny man and I am so so sorry. I remember criticising Green Wing on here back when it was on, and particularly how it took funny gags and killed them with encrustations of 'style'. Richard pm'd me and said he'd written the gag I used as an example. I was mortified, but he was so lovely about it, and happy to discuss the show, and God I'm so sorry he's gone.

Utter Shit

Ah Christ. A fantastic, knowledgeable poster and seemed like a very decent guy from my limited interactions. Condolences to everyone who knew him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Was Sick As A Pike ( as I feel I should still formally refer to him) also the man who wrote the observation that Stephen Mangan('s character in Green Wing) looked like the donkey from " Shrek" ? I think he was, I think he modestly laid claim to it when I mentioned it on a thread a while back.

Still having trouble in processing this terrible news, to be honest.

Puce Moment

Having not watched Father Ted for some time now, I watched Kicking Bishop Brennan this morning in honour of the man who came up with the idea. Probably.

Custard

Terrible news. He seemed like a very decent person

RIP

batwings

So sorry to hear this. What shit news.

Blinder Data

He seemed like a lovely guy and was clearly an extremely talented writer. His posts on here were always worth reading.

Just so sad. RIP.

Ronnie the Raincoat

This is really shit. Echoing what people have said about his generosity here - I found his experiences and insights fascinating and he shared them without ego. He seemed like an absolutely lovely guy and I'm so sorry to hear of what a horrific few months he had had. Thoughts to his friends and family and everyone who loved him.

The Lurker

Flouncer

Argh, this is awful news. These threads are always a gut punch, but Pike was a fascinating poster. I often used to think when reading his posts, how lucky we were as comedy nerds to have him around. I knew he'd got some impressive writing credits but reading the CV on his management company's page, I realise he's contributed to loads of stuff I've enjoyed over the years. As others have said, an acutely talented bloke but really down to earth - you never got the sense that he was bragging or setting out to impress people when he mentioned his involvement in stuff. Very sad news indeed.

castro diaz

Seeing his name and avatar always meant you could afford yourself a little smile as you knew you were in for a great read.  Unbearably sad news.

Tony Tony Tony

Sad news indeed, he sent me a lovely PM when I posted about my Dad dying of the 'rona. It was a touching thing to do especially as he had not long since lost his partner. Once of  the good guys RIP.

Also the man who came up with the idea that Father Ted should kick Bishop Brennan up the arse, so for that never to be forgotten.

Phil_A

Dreadfully sad news, can't imagine what he must've been through these last few months.

It's a bleak thing to consider the longer a place like this exists the more people we will inevitably lose, I find myself thinking about that a lot.