Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Rishi's Eat Out to Get COVID-19

Started by idunnosomename, July 08, 2020, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/08/chancellor-eat-out-scheme-get-value-for-money-rishi-sunak

oh fuck it

QuoteRishi Sunak called it the "eat out to help out" offer. Others said it was "Groupon government". Either way, the chancellor made clear he wanted to get the nation eating and drinking again – at least from Monday to Wednesday during August.

In one of his more surprising proposals, Sunak announced that the government would pay "£10 per head for everyone, including children" for meals at certain restaurants next month.

"A first-of-its-kind government-backed discount for all", he declared. "To get customers back into restaurants, cafes and pubs, and protect the 1.8 million people who work in them."

The meal-deal discount will not apply, however, to alcoholic drinks.

To get the best value for money, customers are likely to be drawn to "value" restaurants – and ordering meals costing no more than £20 a head.

And though many large chains have yet to confirm their intention to register, Pizza Express was one of the first to sign up for the offer.

SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF OLD SHITE DOESNT IT

rue the polywhirl

Price of all meals to go up by £10. £10 entrance fee per person Monday to Wednesday. Second wave to commence when herds of voucher grubbers descend upon every Pizza Express all at once.

Captain Z

If the opposition can continue coming up with snappier counter-slogans like "Groupon government" then maybe there is hope for the next election.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Captain Z on July 08, 2020, 11:19:36 PM
If the opposition can continue coming up with snappier counter-slogans like "Groupon government" then maybe there is hope for the next election.
marvellous, no? in the bag. it's coming home!

chveik

don't forget to put the right amount of covid sauce on your covid nando's

Mango Chimes

I know nobody here watches videos of parliament any more because that new man is there instead of their real dad, but the announcement of this was bonkers. Sunak delivered a list of billions pounds funding for this and that, and then saved to the end something that he introduced as a world first, a blockbuster surprise announcement, like he was about to introduce Universal Basic Income.

That he went on to introduce half price pasta primavera at selected branches of Bella Italia, offer subject to availability, not valid Thursday to Sunday, was a confusing punchline. I know it's the shittest thing to reference, but it really felt like that episode of The Thick Of It where a policy was pulled and they had to quickly think of something to announce in its place.

Dog Botherer

this is genuinely the stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard. remember when all the centrists were wanking themselves silly over this cretin? fuck me.

We've gone from £500 to a coupon. It's released a stream of Memes around Rishi's Meerkat meals.

Jockice

Wonder if they'll extend the deal to hospital cafes. You know, cut out the middleman and all that.

"Half price" meals with a maximum discount of £10 per head? Does he think it's 1998? Or are we ordering off the kids' menu?

Dewt

fucking happy eater prick

absolute little chef rotbag

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 09, 2020, 07:00:59 AM
"Half price" meals with a maximum discount of £10 per head? Does he think it's 1998? Or are we ordering off the kids' menu?

Alright mate, where do you eat? You can get 3 and a bit meals for £20 in some places.

This scheme is shit for cunts, it is all aimed at propping up big chains (some of which are owned by deliberately heavily debt leveraged parasitic cunts) and the discounts are for midweek dining, so no more than you would find on discount sites anyway.

It's incredible how willing small businesses owners are to vote Tory when they repeatedly get fucked and fucked and fucked.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2020, 08:12:24 AM

Alright mate, where do you eat? You can get 3 and a bit meals for £20 in some places.

Yeah, but you know these parasitic cunts won't let their existing deals stack with this scheme.

Like how midweek cinema tickets used to be half-price until Orange Wednesdays and Meerkat Movies came along.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well no, so a lot of them will effectively be receiving government subsidy by proxy. Fuck UK steel, mining, oil, fuck Forgemasters, but apparently we need to keep Pizza Express afloat by mirroring their midweek deals.

That said, I still don't really see the issue in terms of its face value generosity. A £10 non-discounted dish (fairly easy to find even in London) will cost a fiver. That will be rolling back to 98' alright.

Dr Rock

Unless you're a disabled like me, who can't really do restaurants anymore. Or the millions of people (like my mum) that don't do restaurants because they don't enjoy the experience much.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 09, 2020, 08:32:41 AM
Unless you're a disabled like me, who can't really do restaurants anymore. Or the millions of people (like my mum) that don't do restaurants because they don't enjoy the experience much.

Presumably you don't advocate doing nothing for hospitality just because you're disabled and your mum doesn't like eating out (funny, as I love eating out your... Etc)?

Pink Gregory

I will now pay £10 more for all meals out of sheer spite.  Especially the ones I make myself.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2020, 08:36:23 AM
Presumably you don't advocate doing nothing for hospitality just because you're disabled and your mum doesn't like eating out (funny, as I love eating out your... Etc)?

I don't understand.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 09, 2020, 09:19:24 AM
I don't understand.

shoulder's has got a new job working for BIG CORPORATE (taking Bosto's old job, I believe)

jobotic

Yeah but imagine if Corbyn was in charge

says all of the people one cunt in Leigh

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall

Do the Guardian think this sort of Tory shilling is going to save them from Cummings?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on July 09, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall

Do the Guardian think this sort of Tory shilling is going to save them from Cummings?

what the hell? they can't get over him, can they.. Still scared of him. I hope the left gain some power before he dies and appoint him KING or LORD OF THE NEWS and he then destroys these pricks.

The Culture Bunker

It's not an uncommon view, I would imagine. It's easier to think "could be worse, could have been Corbyn" than admit to yourself that you voted for a bunch of arseholes who care not a jolt for you. I suggested on another thread about how shifting blame on care homes would eventually lead to pinning the fault for so many deaths on the NHS, and that people will accept it because it's dodges our own responsibility for the mess.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 09, 2020, 10:01:13 AM
It's not an uncommon view, I would imagine. It's easier to think "could be worse, could have been Corbyn" than admit to yourself that you voted for a bunch of arseholes who care not a jolt for you. I suggested on another thread about how shifting blame on care homes would eventually lead to pinning the fault for so many deaths on the NHS, and that people will accept it because it's dodges our own responsibility for the mess.

they're going for the NHS big now - "should we stop free hospital parking for NHS staff" was the discussion on GMTV today. "It costs a lot of money to maintain these car parks! 5000 pounds per space to build, 500 pounds per space to maintain per year" Christ. Christ. Christ. Christ. Please someone stop this rot, stop it stop it stop it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 09, 2020, 09:19:24 AM
I don't understand.

I'm suggesting your personal situation and your mum's dislike of restaurant dining may be sad for you both, but individual suitability is not really a valid criticism of this scheme (I'm sure there are plenty of valid criticisms) when millions do in fact use restaurants. I suggested you don't think that we should do nothing, in the hope of perhaps exploring what you do think should happen to assist this industry you can't use but others can?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2020, 10:14:16 AM
I'm suggesting your personal situation and your mum's dislike of restaurant dining may be sad for you both, but individual suitability is not really a valid criticism of this scheme (I'm sure there are plenty of valid criticisms) when millions do in fact use restaurants. I suggested you don't think that we should do nothing, in the hope of perhaps exploring what you do think should happen to assist this industry you can't use but others can?

Beginning a debate on what future society looks like, the old capitalist 'normality' or a more inclusive and resilient population where eating at Nando's is not the ultimate marker of achievement.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jobotic on July 09, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

Andrew Twentyman was on the phone, sourcing nduja sausage for his artisanal pizza parlour

More like Andrew Cuntyman

Cuellar

Quote"Can you imagine what state we'd be in if Jeremy Corbyn had been in charge of all this?" he asked.

Without the furlough scheme, a £25,000 government grant and the offer of a no-questions-asked loan, Twentyman's would undoubtedly have gone under, he said. "The government has basically invested in us. Half the businesses in the UK are effectively now part-government owned."

idunnosomename

Is Helen Pidd fucking this dude or something. Train down to Wigan, get a bit of his njuda sausage and a salt of the earth quote, then back to media city in time for wine o clock

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/26/first-time-conservative-voters-react-to-cummings-controversy

dissolute ocelot

What a fucking terrible article, they interview 2 people, one of whom's a racist and is excited that they'll be saving enough stamp duty to buy a new kitchen on their upcoming bungalow purchase; since previously stamp duty was £0 on the first £125000, £2500 on the next £125,000 and 5% after that, I don't know what kind of fucking "bungalow" they're planning to buy: £300,000+ in Wigan gets you a lot of storeys. Since when has the Guardian been on the side of people buying £300,000 homes?

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2020, 08:26:11 AM
Well no, so a lot of them will effectively be receiving government subsidy by proxy. Fuck UK steel, mining, oil, fuck Forgemasters, but apparently we need to keep Pizza Express afloat by mirroring their midweek deals.

That said, I still don't really see the issue in terms of its face value generosity. A £10 non-discounted dish (fairly easy to find even in London) will cost a fiver. That will be rolling back to 98' alright.

The sticking point for me is that it's worse value than Meerkat Meals, which is 2 for 1 on all food, Sunday to Thursday, with no price ceiling (although it doesn't cover drinks) and you get a whole year of that for as little as £1.01 by buying a cheap 1 day travel insurance policy.

It's also budgeted at half a billion and comes less than a month since the government claimed that they couldn't afford to spend £120m to feed poor children for six weeks.

There's almost no justification for the state to be doing this.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 09, 2020, 11:03:07 AM
What a fucking terrible article, they interview 2 people, one of whom's a racist and is excited that they'll be saving enough stamp duty to buy a new kitchen on their upcoming bungalow purchase; since previously stamp duty was £0 on the first £125000, £2500 on the next £125,000 and 5% after that, I don't know what kind of fucking "bungalow" they're planning to buy: £300,000+ in Wigan gets you a lot of storeys. Since when has the Guardian been on the side of people buying £300,000 homes?

Maybe they are intending to buy a really, really shit kitchen?