Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:35:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, July 08, 2020, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Arseholes, more like.

brat-sampson

The Last of Us? More like the... arse of... muff

andpost

EDIT PART LOO!

Beagle 2

I don't know if anyone's favourite game has ever been Dark Souls at all, but if so it would be good if they could mention that to me within five seconds of the conversation turning to video games and leave a dramatic pause so that I can congratulate them on not only being good at video games but in most important ways a better human than me. I don't know why more people don't do it. 

Chedney Honks

Lung Shadow of the Colossus

evilcommiedictator

I'm trying DS1 again as a spellcaster, and fuck me, even knowing what is going to happen Sens' fortress is still shitting me and I've given up a few times.
Yay to never git gud

I bought a playstation4, along with the ds1 remasterrd maybe about 4 or 5 weeks ago...I've had a strained and abusive relationship with the Souls games, initially buying 2 on its release for the 360 and really struggling, giving up on the first Tree boss thingy...i hated the fact your health bar becomes more limited the more you die, that was not fun. I left it there.

I then got Bloodborne in '15, spent hours in just the first part alone. I definitely wasn't a natural, and there was something about the game and setting that really got under my skin, disturbing me in the most profound way. I eventually beat the cleric demon fella and then Father Gascoigne...if anything I think I was making to big a deal of the boss fights and perpetuating my own anxiety and lack of confidence. It wasn't till 2018 that I did a playthrough where I got significantly further, although still ultimately giving up  I really do find this game profoundly disturbing as much as I love it. 

So by now I've finally got the hang of it after a solid few years and have slowly made my way through DS1 at a steady pace, if I can beat a boss or take out a particularly formidable enemy in the most cowardly way possible ill take that option. I'm enjoying it immensely and have just got to Sens fortress. I am referring to guides now and again because its beyond me how the fuck youre meant to find out some of this information (returning to Undead Asylum to get the ring that lets you walk freely in the swamps etc)

Ignore; really need to stop doing posts on my phone

Chairman Yang

It'd be nice if wankers hadn't got hold of Dark Souls. It's obvious, in retrospect, you're supposed to puzzle out the game with your friends online; not stumble through it alone for big-boy points.

Now I will admit that unequipping the fire protection ring whilst stood in lava was my fault, but after 40 hours it felt like bullshit and I will not go back!

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 09, 2020, 08:13:19 PM
It'd be nice if wankers hadn't got hold of Dark Souls. It's obvious, in retrospect, you're supposed to puzzle out the game with your friends online; not stumble through it alone for big-boy points.

Now I will admit that unequipping the fire protection ring whilst stood in lava was my fault, but after 40 hours it felt like bullshit and I will not go back!

I play alone; not as some bid to look impressive though, just because being online for Dark Souls doesn't warrant paying for PS+ for me personally...i have had a go online in the past and despite being helpful, I also found the player notes dotted everywhere detracted from how immersed I felt, and having some cunt randomly invade and kill you was irritating. That said I do think the online aspect is admirably unique in fairness just not for me

I've got that zweihander sword now; although I'm ironically using it one handed making it more of a einhander...making short work of those silly lizard men in Sens Fortress, got to the part where you can navigate where the boulders fall but am now getting twatted by swinging scythe things and falling to my demise

Swoz_MK

How the Reinforced Club +15 saved my life

Ornstein and Smough?

Horn-stain and smeg, more like.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 11, 2020, 08:14:13 PM
Ornstein and Smough?

Horn-stain and smeg, more like.

Think I'm not too far from those 2 at present 🤮 currently on that infamous part with two archers in Anor Londo. I do think my experience has perhaps been a bit marred by too much prior reading; I've subscribed to the dark souls 1 reddit...which although repetitive isn't full of the most unbearable cunts imaginable as you might presume, mostly people are positive and helpful...but all the "oh god...blight town" "oh god...sens fortress" "oh god...the two archers" noise has led to a few anti climaxes for me; blight town in particular I didn't really see what all the fuss was about. OK I'm not playing it in 7fps like in the original, but still

Cuellar

Went in hard on Dark Souls 3 during lockdown - been through it several times in the last few weeks as just about every class you can think of. Got Dark Souls Remastered but haven't got into it as much - I know everyone thinks its by far the best of all of them but it's not. It's an old game and you can tell, the controls aren't as good, the mechanics are shit, it's slow as fuck and I just can't be arsed. Got to Anor Londo and I just can't be bothered anymore - accidentally aggroed the fire keeper at the Anor Londo bonfire so I had to kill her. So that's that bonfire knackered. CBA.

Got Sekiro the other day too, not bad. Not really as fussed about it as Dark Souls to be honest. It's fine.

Chedney Honks

Yeah, you can't just spam R1 in the GOAT, that's right.

Cuellar

But you can just walk around behind an enemy as he very slowly, very methodically, raises his massive hammer, stops to consider what he's going to do, has a bit of a think, then brings it down on where you were 20 minutes ago.

The controls feel floaty and insubstantial compared to 3, it's not as responsive. I'm sure if I'd played it when it came out it would have been personally game-changing. But I didn't, so it's SHIT.

kittens

i think i would really like these games if they weren't so horrible and scary. why does it have to be about huge disgusting rotting monsters hitting me with massive torture devices in the middle of filthy medieval graveyard. do the same gameplay but have it be nice things hitting me, or at least not absolutely the most horrible things imaginable, then i'll give it a go. as it stands, much too frightening for me to even attempt.

kittens

also it looks too hard

Thursday

I've been playing the "Daughters of Ash" mod which sort of reconstructs the game, you do things in a different order, items and bonfires can be in different places, some bosses are changed/made harder. There's new lore there's even some new bosses in there, although it's limited within certain asset use.

The problem is it seems you'll probably miss most of the most interesting content unless you do some specific things in a very specific order. It does warn that you won't be able to see everything in one playthrough, and it in some ways these obscure paths to things, feel somewhat in the spirit of the game. But really a lot of the fun was having the feeling of not quite knowing what was coming up next while playing Dark Souls again. The fact that you have to look this stuff up spoils it a bit, and it feel like there's lots of ways they could easily have pointed you in certain directions more.

Still it's well worth a look if you ever want to play through Dark Souls again, as there's some great ideas in there.

Thursday

Quote from: kittens on July 14, 2020, 06:05:32 PM
i think i would really like these games if they weren't so horrible and scary. why does it have to be about huge disgusting rotting monsters hitting me with massive torture devices in the middle of filthy medieval graveyard. do the same gameplay but have it be nice things hitting me, or at least not absolutely the most horrible things imaginable, then i'll give it a go. as it stands, much too frightening for me to even attempt.

Why would you want to kill a nice thing?

evilcommiedictator

I was streaming DS2 at one point, and someone asked me in chat if I played the DS1 randomizer, I dunno, do I look like a skilled game playing sadist? (no on both counts)

Imagine an RPG watered down to the point where it's gasping with consolitis and playable on a four button pad.

Now imagine a spectacle fighter slowed down to the point where you can smell a telegraphed attack pattern through traces of your own long dead farts.

Now imagine some stream-winner aids wraith, spitting the phrase "git gud" as they "surmount" the first stage of what they think might be a pissing contest.

Now picture this, Sicily, 1922#

The youngest golden girl. Think on.

Edit: Just to be clear, I think you're rrrrrungs above, I hope you take this as an impish elbow up the rib :D
We're helping each other! I like to think.

Chedney Honks

I don't care about the difficulty discussion to be honest. Dark Souls fans are annoying, myself included, but it's about much more than the button pushing. Not everyone gets it or likes it but not everyone likes curry.

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 15, 2020, 07:27:35 AM
I don't care about the difficulty discussion to be honest. Dark Souls fans are annoying, myself included, but it's about much more than the button pushing. Not everyone gets it or likes it but not everyone likes curry.

Absolutely. As you know, I played it for the first time a year ago, and my experience was that it honestly wasn't even that difficult once I understood the mechanics. I burned through the game, then new game plus, with very little frustration. The difficulty discussion is a load of dick measuring, boring nonsense that has no doubt prevented countless people playing a game they would actually love. The world building, the art design, the level design, it's all such a wonderful whole, it's frustrating that every time I try to persuade someone to play it, they say, "Oh, no, it'll be too hard for me," just as I did when you were recommending it on here.

Chedney Honks

Yeah, and it was really fun for me to read how you got on with it and grew to love it.

I understand why DS3 is more appealing to people new to the series because you move more quickly and can just spam R1 through the whole game, which is also the prettiest in the series from a technical perspective. You can just play it like any other third person hack and slash. It just has nothing else that either Demon's, DS1 or DS2 have and there's nothing original about it on any level, nor does it say anything. It's watered down in every way, except for the three health bar boss mob spam encounter design - because they are also catering for the git gud aidsy boyz.

The discussion about the combat speed in DS1 is...unaware...because it depends completely on your build.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 15, 2020, 07:27:35 AMnot everyone likes curry.

I like curry,
I'm gonna give it another go.
As a wise man once said "Jesus fucking christ, I'm so glad I got into portal when I did, because these cake cunts would have have ruined my life"
This was well after he'd pissed away days of his life making custom levels :D

Quote from: Kelvin on July 15, 2020, 07:36:56 AMThe difficulty discussion is a load of dick measuring, boring nonsense that has no doubt prevented countless people playing a game they would actually love. The world building, the art design, the level design, it's all such a wonderful whole

Yup, I'm going back in.

Inspector Norse

I wrote a bit about DS on the "are you good at games" thread because I finished it for the first time ever recently.

It is "hard", yeah, but a big part of that is because it doesn't give you any pointers and you have to keep redoing bits and looking for ways to get past them. A few times I just got totally stuck for a while, and there are some other things nobody can be expected to find without a guide[nb]Someone else on the other thread mentioned that there's a ring that helps you move freely in certain areas, but to get that you have to
Spoiler alert
jump off a lift halfway up, then go round a ledge, jump off onto a pillar, go up to the top of that pillar, jump off onto a roof and get a key, then go back up the lift and jump off halfway again, jump onto the pillar again and this time go all the way to the top of a staircase, sit in a bird's nest and wait for the bird to grab you, then make your way back round an area you've already visited, defeat a new boss, etc etc. And while you're there you should go into a back corridor and go right to the end and loot a corpse, because there's an item there that if you pick it up, can interact with a painting in a completely different area of the game in order to unlock a new area
[close]
. Lots of that shit.[/nb]

But it's very absorbing. Something about it made me want to keep going despite my initial struggles, and I found that after a certain point I had found a style that worked for me. I think it was the amount of focus and thought it required, and something compelling about the world, wanting to know what was coming next. Certain supposedly "fiendish" parts proved pretty easy (I zoomed through Blighttown) but other bits almost killed me (I never want to see another Titanite Demon ever again, and as for the big stone buggers in the DLC woods...). Poison arrows were a massive help all the way through, I highly recommend them.

I never felt like I had really GOT GUD but there is certainly something that makes me want to share in public my exact tactics for the bits that DID go well for me (as I mentioned on the other thread, my natural inclination to be a big soft bastard and hide behind the scenery helped me take out Gravelord Nito and Gwyn the final boss in double-quick time).

I like the online element - despite the odd arsehole invading me and backstabbing me when I just thought I could take a breather - with the faint visions of others suffering the same torment and the helpful or jokey messages left lying around. A couple of bosses I'd never have got past without summons.

Kryton

Have any of you tried gitting good?
I hope this helps.