Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,470
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, July 08, 2020, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

There's a pretty easy way to beat Ceaseless Discharge:

Spoiler alert
Just run away. Seriously - run back to the fog gate. He'll jump to try and reach you and if you turn round and whack him he falls down the pit to his doom.
[close]

Chedney Honks

Claude, you're unfortunately just wrong, without being combative. It's not hard out of cynicism at all - in fact, the difficulty discourse is pure Bandai Namco marketing shit. The idea that FROM made Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls in order to generate online hype is an incorrect guess. They've been very open about what they wanted to achieve and why the game is designed as it is. You're seeing it through the lens of e-peen gamer cunts and reams of the most boring discourse of all time.

Besides, both of those bosses are more puzzles than requiring any mad twitchy skills, you're not paying attention to the environment.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Chedney Honks

It makes no odds to me. You're missing out.

Thursday

It's fine if you're not enjoying it, not everyone's going to get the same experience out of it's design, but the idea that it's difficult for "artificial padding" and "generating online buzz" is mental. Just so far off the mark.

Chedney Honks

Started a One Bro run tonight, mostly to see what it's like without the crutch of levelling up and to really learn some of the bosses I've previously just tanked. It's fun feeling so vulnerable and really freshened it up for me. I'm sure there will will be some frustrating moments ahead but it's brought back some of the tension of my first run.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2020, 06:45:53 PM
It makes no odds to me. You're missing out.
Today I kayaked down the river and saw an otter. Oh, how I wish I'd ploughed fifty more hours into Golden Axe the College Years instead.

The Crumb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2020, 11:46:05 PM
Today I kayaked down the river and saw an otter. Oh, how I wish I'd ploughed fifty more hours into Golden Axe the College Years instead.

Too n00b to swim, too n00b to complete Dark Souls

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2020, 11:46:05 PM

That sounds like a good time.

And you're still comprehensively wrong.

madhair60

lmao at getting stuck on anything after Ornstein and Smough, holy shit

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2020, 11:46:05 PMToday I kayaked down the river and saw an otter.

The river, an otter. All suspiciously vague, sir.
I bet you were crying in a mcdonalds car park screaming at candy crush.
Just suck it up and git gud at lef. Git a lef, then git gud at it.
For gads sok, you mak mu sack.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Try spelunky, it's like the dark souls of platformers, but fast and fun. It's like gaming for us skateboarding go getter types, slapping the geps off the grognards on our way to the shop to buy more cola bottles.

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on July 23, 2020, 10:19:06 AM
lmao at getting stuck on anything after Ornstein and Smough, holy shit

Yeah, I know a thing with Dark Souls, is that everyone will have a boss they find easy that everyone finds hard, or struggle with someone that everyone else finds easy, but I never hear of anyone giving up AFTER Ornstein and Smough.

Although admittedly the game does take a bit of a nosedive after that point.

evilcommiedictator

I'd fucked my build the first time around, getting to Bed of Chaos was an absolute cunt of a thing. But I thought the best way was of course to try and fight my way through.

That's my one big annoyance with this, why is running past everything so damn good? Isn't the whole part of the game actually playing the game?

falafel

Quote from: Thursday on July 17, 2020, 11:10:31 PM
They already make it so you only have to do one part at a time anyway, so it's interesting that you would savescum that out of all of them. Did you not find the secret bonfire in Izalith?

I feel like the fact that the boss kind of has checkpointing was an admission from the team that it was shit and they'd give players a break. So that's fine.

I don't really remember exactly why. All I know is my relationship with the game was approaching Sid and Nancy levels at that point so the answer is basically "expedience".

Quote from: Thursday on July 23, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
Yeah, I know a thing with Dark Souls, is that everyone will have a boss they find easy that everyone finds hard, or struggle with someone that everyone else finds easy, but I never hear of anyone giving up AFTER Ornstein and Smough.

Although admittedly the game does take a bit of a nosedive after that point.

I think i got lucky with ornstein and smough...c-dissy (what I call ceaseless discharge) took i think around 6 or 7 goes and felt impossible on the first few attempts. I was really struggling at the firesage demon earlier and called it a day after around 5 tries...it was actually stressing me out and has felt like more of a chore the last few sessions. Maybe it has taken a bit of a nosedive or maybe i just need a  bit more of a break from it; ive been playing relentlessly for nearly 2 months, like any free time i have

Cuellar

OK I've completed Dark Souls Remastered now and I'd like to retract everything I said, I think it's good. For a MASTERPIECE it's got a surprising amount of absolute dog shit in it (Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, Tomb of Giants etc. etc. Not Blighttown, I think Blighttown is good), but I think it's good nonetheless. I know Boston Crab isn't here anymore to gloat, but I want to offer a full and frank recantation anyway.

That said everything after Ornstein and Smough IS piss easy. Maybe I was overlevelled, but with a strength build and Havel's armour I could basically tank everything. Even everything in Anor Londo I was one-shotting with my zweihander. Not that it HAS to be difficult, I suppose, but I was quite surprised at how I breezed through it. Just stood up to Nito, tanked his hits and did him first up. Managed to no-hit Seath without even trying. Parried Gwyn to death.

Going through it all again now with pyromancy.

druss

Quote from: Misspent Boners on July 18, 2020, 07:31:11 PM
Its been two days since the battle and I'm still kind of just shuffling around in disbelief...I'd got to the fog gates of Ornstein and Smough, felt a pang of anxiety in my stomach and spent two sessions doing everything I could to avoid going through them. I even went to the Depths and farmed humanity from the rats thinking I'd need loads to keep re-humaning to summon Solaire to help me. Found the new blacksmith and opened all the short cuts nearby. Then the other morning I thought fuck it I'll go inside and just see what they're like, fully expecting to get annhilated..

Around 4 minutes later Solaire and I had beat them both, Smough biting the dust first and Ornstein second. I had 1 estus left (only went in with 7 after nearly dying to the two huge knights outside)... all the strategies I had went out the window and I just hit the fuck out of them with my zweihander. Still not sure what happened. The two knights outside gave me more grief. I'd reinforced every piece of armour and sword and am level 68 so maybe I could just take the damage and hit hard.

Once more it just made me wonder what the game would he like without any prior knowledge...im loving every second but the bits bemoaned as particularly brutal haven't been...and I wonder if the difficulty has been lessened by knowing that its meant to be a difficult bit so doesn't catch you off guard as much. Those two infamous archers were difficult and took me around 5 or 6 goes but nothing too taxing. I guess that's Reddit hyperbole for you
Ornstein ang Smough are piss with Solaire. Second play through I wanted to do all bosses with no summons and they were a bit trickier but Havel's armor made it pretty doable.

Agreed that everything after is piss.

bgmnts

Demon's Souls remake a launch title for PS5 in November.

druss

Decided to try a level one run. It looks so easy when people on youtube do it, obviously it isn't and I doubt I'll be able to complete it but interested in how far I will get. Early game won't be much different I would think, might even be easier as all the souls I'd usually spend on levelling up I'll be spending on gear upgrades which are quite OP at the start.

Thursday

It's really not as bad as you would think. There is a general outline for what's considered the optimal strategy, and with it I was probably doing more damage than on my first playthrough, obviously the main difficulty comes from your lack of health and stamina. It's also quite liberating knowing you don't need to worry about retaining souls so much apart from upgrading your flame/weapons.

druss

Yeah I'm up to Blightown without too much difficulty. I did the depths because I like the gaping dragon boss but going to take the back door to blightown as can't be fucked doing it with no health. Not going to use any summons so I imagine O&S might be tricky but definitely finding it easier than my first play through at the moment, and much easier than my recent Dark Souls 2 play through.