Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is wrong with Iannucci

Started by pancreas, July 09, 2020, 05:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armin Meiwes

Yeah just repeating what people have already said really but the thing that gets me about Iannucci isn't that he is a centrist or whatever it's that for someone whose comedy was so well attuned to political and media bullshit he was SO happy to suck down on all the Corbo smears, you don't have to agree with any of Corbyns policies or general world view to sniff that stuff out and see it for what it was (ie preferring to attack the character because it's easier than dismissing the policies). I have absolutely no idea if he genuinely believed it or if he just saw it as a good stick to beat someone he didn't like with but I don't even know if that makes that much difference.

Armin Meiwes

That's the bit that saddens me, in terms of the scales falling from my eyes for someone whose work I had massive respect for, much more than what their politics are.

Armin Meiwes

Oh but also just wanted to say.. his David Copperfield thing was SHIT.

Thursday

And let's not forget he was fine with appearing on stage with Jess Phillips. That's the kind of politician he's very happy to work with.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2020, 01:54:52 PM
And let's not forget he was fine with appearing on stage with Jess Phillips. That's the kind of politician he's very happy to work with.

Didn't he tweet a load of stuff complimenting her, as well? I don't remember the specifics now, but I'm sure he was very complimentary towards her, maybe around the labour leadership election?

Maybe I've misremembered. He's still a silly old cunt.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2020, 01:54:52 PM
And let's not forget he was happy to appear on stage with Jess Phillips.

On a panel that was rounded out by one of the cast members from Dead Ringers, no less. Come on Armando, you used to be better than this.

Cuellar

Yeah, in the past he used to appear on stage with a guy that plays snooker against himself and a virulent transphobe lunatic who lives in a racecar bed.

Ubi sunt!!

Mango Chimes

Bring back Dominic Holland!

Quote from: Phil_A on July 13, 2020, 09:39:24 AMShould Iannucci be exempt from criticism based on the quality of his previous work, really?

No, of course not.

Quote from: Phil_A on July 13, 2020, 09:39:24 AMAlso I don't think anyone mentioned Israel, did they.

Yes, with depressing inevitability.

Sin Agog

Depressing because you're tired of reading the word 'Israel', or depressing because it makes you think of the Palestinians whisked out of their beds and chained to boiling hot radiators in a dark basement; how almost every young Palestinian man has seen the inside of a jail cell at some point in their lives, and how the entire Israeli economy is propped up by cheap Palestinian labour?

Jockice

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 14, 2020, 01:53:39 PM
Oh but also just wanted to say.. his David Copperfield thing was SHIT.

In total agreement about that.  One of the worst films I've seen in my life.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 14, 2020, 03:05:52 PM
Armando Iannucci thread.

He's the one who wouldnae stop adding fuel to the gaslight on twitter and in interviews for years.  Taking Israel out of the equation and making it just about identity politics is like taking a degree in anthropology and only focusing on a toe. 

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 14, 2020, 03:05:52 PM
Armando Iannucci thread.

This thread is - broadly - about Iannucci's complicity in a campaign carried out by the British political and media establishment over the last five years to smear Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour left with the charge of antisemitism. If you think that premise is false then fine, go ahead and make the argument, but it's disingenuous to act like the mere mention of Israel is some bizarrely left-field turn for this discussion to take.

Mango Chimes

It's like responding to the mention of sinophobia by listing human rights violations perpetrated by China. If you're concerned about being racist, or being seen to be racist, you're going to avoid doing that.

As for that premise, if anyone raising a concern about antisemitism is presumed to be acting in complicity with a conspiracy, that presumption is a problem. A self-defeating one, that has exacerbated and perpetuated the issue, contributing to any campaign that does exist rather than diminishing it. It is the problem.

I avoid posting in the politics threads on here because I find them horrible, and it's taken far too much thought and time to write this, so forgive me if I bow out. That's as good as I'm likely to be able to explain my point, so be generous or otherwise in your interpretation.

I liked the 99p Challenge. I didn't like Charm Offensive.

NoSleep

I dunno. He was yet another voice prepared to undermine the chance for a change for the better for most people in this country and somebody we expected more from.

Sin Agog

Conversely, the way the argument is solely focused on antisemitism is like playing on easy mode for a human rights violator/proponent of such because then all that tricky stuff is taken off the table and the mere fact that they belong to a certain race is the only thing left on it.  It also takes something actual and real and places it in a sophistic realm where wordplay and casuistry reigns supreme, pushing real human suffering further and further into the background.

NoSleep

You've only got to compare him to Steve Coogan. Even in that Guardian thing posted earlier, Iannucci can't unreservedly call George Osbourne a dick alongside Coogan. He seems a little taken aback by Coogan's frankness.

Endicott

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 14, 2020, 04:57:32 PM
As for that premise, if anyone raising a concern about antisemitism is presumed to be acting in complicity with a conspiracy, that presumption is a problem.

This is hilariously disingenuous. Iannucci hasn't raised concerns, he's stuck his fucking boot in.

Barry Admin

Quote from: NoSleep on July 14, 2020, 05:08:43 PM
You've only got to compare him to Steve Coogan. Even in that Guardian thing posted earlier, Iannucci can't unreservedly call George Osbourne a dick alongside Coogan. He seems a little taken aback by Coogan's frankness.

Partly for comedy effect, I think. But beyond that, in 2015 Iannucci was championing the BBC and trying to dissuade the Tories from dismantling it. Eg https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/26/mactaggart-lecture-tv-diktat-defend-bbc-ministers-talk-us-down

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 14, 2020, 06:14:10 PM
Partly for comedy effect, I think. But beyond that, in 2015 Iannucci was championing the BBC and trying to dissuade the Tories from dismantling it. Eg https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/26/mactaggart-lecture-tv-diktat-defend-bbc-ministers-talk-us-down
I'm certain I read something from him where he suggested replacing the BBC with an HBO-style model, from around the first series of Veep.

Barry Admin

He's called for an HBO styled subscription service to complement the existing model, and is generally in favour of the Beeb making more money, particularly by capitalising on its shows and reputation abroad https://www.theguardian.com/media/organgrinder/2008/aug/24/iannuccicallsonbbctosetu

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2020, 06:43:57 PM
I'm certain I read something from him where he suggested replacing the BBC with an HBO-style model, from around the first series of Veep.

In the Guardian interview he says HBO modelled themselves AFTER THE BBC

BlodwynPig

It's becoming pretty obvious in this thread that it's the BBC - and by proxy, the Tory-BBC employee exchange scheme - that has done for people like Iannucci

Barry Admin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2020, 06:49:08 PM
In the Guardian interview he says HBO modelled themselves AFTER THE BBC

Yes, which is why he says it's crazy for Osbourne to have been wanting the BBC to produce "HBO style shows."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 14, 2020, 06:50:58 PM
Yes, which is why he says it's crazy for Osbourne to have been wanting the BBC to produce "HBO style shows."

sorry, missed your post above

Dusty Substance

Quote from: mobias on July 11, 2020, 07:33:02 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this 2015 interview but Armando Iannucci and Steve Coogan discuss working again one day with Chis Morris. Go to the 1.15 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKmYLm23pTE

Fucking hell, some of those audience questions.

Jollity

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 12, 2020, 11:12:22 AM
Like, in 2017, Labour got 54.5% of the votes in London, compared with 33.1% for the Tories and 8.8% for the Lib Dems. How many London-based media folk do you think would've voted for Corbyn? Nowhere near half, I'm sure.

But Corbyn was Labour leader in 2017 as well? It was very odd during the 2019 election seeing people on the news going "I voted Labour in 2017, but I can't vote for someone like Corbyn".

Sorry for bumping but didn't think it had enough in it for a new thread.

https://twitter.com/aiannucci/status/1418456910785822721?s=21

"Coming soon, talking politics, exchanging ideas and opinions, in hopefully a civilised way or we're all doomed."

Guests include Stephen Bush, Paul Mason and Anna fucking Soubry

Just endlessly dispiriting to see (arguably) the most influential and original comedic voice of the last quarter century descend into being this smug establishment melt.

Let's have a lovely civil chat with Anna Soubry about how she voted for every single austerity measure and whether travellers have the right to exist!

Other than linehan, is there anyone who's stock has fallen further in the past decade?

Fambo Number Mive

Chris Addison. Why would anyone care what Chris Addison thinks about politics?

Also the editor of the New Fucking Statesman

Ian Hislop might be interesting to hear from though.

Thomas

Oops, I idiotically did think it worth a new thread. Sorry Comedy Chat! Let it sink.