Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is wrong with Iannucci

Started by pancreas, July 09, 2020, 05:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I think it's sometimes worth bumping these things so people can read the background. I called Iannucci a cunt the other day for instance and someone asked why.

Maybe I should've called him a melt.

Still, Anna Soubry makes me reconsider. What a turncoat spineless disaster who was just participating in an anti left coup with Boris Johnson's messy hard Brexit as the acceptable outcome.

Oh well, let's just be sensible about it and everything will be fine!!! It's like those Moral Mazes where they have Melanie Phillips on.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Thomas on July 23, 2021, 10:33:05 AM
Oops, I idiotically did think it worth a new thread. Sorry Comedy Chat! Let it sink.

It's worth a new thread, sorry I didn't see yours or I would have posted in your one.

Quote from: Thomas on July 23, 2021, 10:33:05 AM
Oops, I idiotically did think it worth a new thread. Sorry Comedy Chat! Let it sink.

My fault, should have double checked before posting. Can use your thread if anyone listens to any of the podcasts. Will take a better man than me!

Captain Z

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 23, 2021, 10:32:48 AM
Chris Addison. Why would anyone care what Chris Addison thinks about politics?

He was great as Toby in In The Loop.

MoreauVasz

Is he not just another casualty of social media?

On the one hand, before social media his utterances were carefully curated. If you encountered an utterance by Ianucci then it had been written, re-written, tweaked, rehearsed, edited, re-worked and finally placed in a very specific context. After social media, you got every fleeting thought that happened to wander through his transom. Including stuff not just stuff that would have been cut from his comedy but also stuff that he would never have thought to include in his comedy in the first place.

On the other hand, social media is forever culture war and everything anyone says is treated like a shot fired. So while he might be going 'yeah.. Labour are a bit shit' in a casual manner, his interjections are treated as ex cathedra interventions into cultural discourse with the full weight of his klout and status behind them. That's both a bit unfair and something that people with large followings should be aware of.

EDIT: This may be one of the reasons why Stewart Lee retains some mystique and respectability. By and large he limits himself to carefully curated performances and interviews in which he seldom departs from the topic of himself and the state of comedy. Nobody needs to know about his actual politics and, frankly, I would rather not know how he votes, what he eats, how often he fucks his wife, and whether he wipes his arse with folded or wadded paper.

Barry Admin

Locked for necro-posting. New series > new thread, please. Thanks.