Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gyms, pools and theatres to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 09, 2020, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I went for a swim yesterday. It wiped me out. I came home about three PM, decided to have a nap on the couch, woke up at 8 (having slept through several messages) got up to let the cat out and get something to eat (a Quorn sausage roll and a bag of smokey bacon crisps) lay on the couch reading for a while but was asleep by ten. And there I remained until 4.30am when I woke up needing a shit.

I've booked to go for a swim every other day this week too. Wish me luck.

New page pooled resources.

MrMrs

I used to do the old martial arts pre vid. The old jujitsu. 10 years, man and boy. That's the end of that now.

BlodwynPig

Bernice

Went to the Gym on Saturday and it was fine. Numbers limited, don't think anyone came within 3m of me for more than a couple of seconds the whole time I was there. Staff and members using antibac and paper towels to wipe down equipment. Still felt like I was dancing with death the whole time.

DrGreggles

Went today. Pretty empty.

Gym app: "This is your first session for 4 months, 1 week and 2 days, you lazy fat bastard*"

YES, I KNOW! IT WASN'T MY FAULT!

*paraphrasing slightly

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 27, 2020, 02:14:33 PM
Went today. Pretty empty.

Gym app: "This is your first session for 4 months, 1 week and 2 days, you lazy fat bastard*"

YES, I KNOW! IT WASN'T MY FAULT!

*paraphrasing slightly

Reminds me of my end of the year work appraisal in 1993.

My boss: "I've noticed that you seem to have taken a lot of time off sick this year."
Me: "Erm I think that may be because I got my spine fractured last New Year's Eve."

Icehaven

A few days ago the gym I used to be a member of, which I left about 18 months ago, sent me a text and email to tell me they were reopening and they'd love me to come back. I'm sure there's a GDPR breach there somewhere among the desperate marketing.
Ironically with limited numbers and distancing I'd probably consider going back now as one of the things that made me leave in the first place was other sweaty people being too close and often having to wait for a lot of the equipment as it was so busy, but we're moving soon so it'll be too far away then. If there's a branch near where we move and they're still distancing I might consider it. Maybe. Or not.

Small Man Big Horse

I snapped and bought a ticket for a musical next week, but it's at an open air garden theatre and masks are mandatory, and I plan to wear one and the visor I have, so hopefully might be okay.

Dex Sawash

You'll want to take a stick with yarn on it to be sure you stay upwind from the crowd.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 29, 2020, 05:28:07 PM
You'll want to take a stick with yarn on it to be sure you stay upwind from the crowd.

Oh I bought my yarn stick ages ago so am ready and prepared, and I also plan to take and sit in a one man tent which I will burn to the ground the second the performance is over with.

ASFTSN

Froze my gym membership again after they tried to unfreeze it. Considering a thin line of crumbs, hair and //unidentified// was normally in my eyeline along the wall during my pre-exercise stretching when I visited, I'm not filled with confidence about their "preventative measures".

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on July 26, 2020, 08:40:22 AM
I went for a swim yesterday. It wiped me out. I came home about three PM, decided to have a nap on the couch, woke up at 8 (having slept through several messages) got up to let the cat out and get something to eat (a Quorn sausage roll and a bag of smokey bacon crisps) lay on the couch reading for a while but was asleep by ten.

Been cycling almost every day and needing a nap when I get back, and I'm still managing to get to bed early and fall asleep pretty quickly. I'm now finding it hard to believe I used to be a severe insomniac. I'm also finding it hard to believe that I used to find cycling to werk a piece of piss. The increased RFH (Raging Fucking Hunger) is a familiar feeling though.

Gonna cancel my gym membership. Already feeling more of a sense of progression from cycling than I ever did from spending an hour on an exercise machine watching Netflix to stave off the sheer fucking boredom.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 30, 2020, 05:33:21 PM
Been cycling almost every day and needing a nap when I get back, and I'm still managing to get to bed early and fall asleep pretty quickly. I'm now finding it hard to believe I used to be a severe insomniac. I'm also finding it hard to believe that I used to find cycling to werk a piece of piss. The increased RFH (Raging Fucking Hunger) is a familiar feeling though.

Gonna cancel my gym membership. Already feeling more of a sense of progression from cycling than I ever did from spending an hour on an exercise machine watching Netflix to stave off the sheer fucking boredom.

Good going, keep it up.

paruses

Quote from: MrMrs on July 26, 2020, 09:03:42 PM
I used to do the old martial arts pre vid. The old jujitsu. 10 years, man and boy. That's the end of that now.
I have half heartedly done same - bjj not traditional - over the years. Wanted to get back into it after finishing a particularly shit and time consuming contract but I don't think they will be open for a long time. By which time I assume the smaller operations will have folded.

The Grace brothers keep sending out emails with YouTube vids a out the business of training so I imagine they are bricking themselves.

Quote from: paruses on July 31, 2020, 02:23:47 PM
The Grace brothers keep sending out emails with YouTube vids a out the business of training so I imagine they are bricking themselves.

Croft and Lloyd consider rewrite.

paruses

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 31, 2020, 02:42:30 PM
Croft and Lloyd consider rewrite.

Haha. Force of habit when talking to my more hardcore bjj friends. They never tire of it.

MrMrs

Not the worst jujitsu typo you could make tbh

Sebastian Cobb

These outdoor cinemas seem like a swizz.

My dad snapped the one in their local park showing lala land, the screen (in relation to the audience) wasn't that much of a pisstake, but the aspect ratio was fucked, looked like they'd stretched 2.35:1 to fit a 16:9 screen.

Sebastian Cobb

Meanwhile in Hamburg they've managed to put on a decent sized screen and not restrict it to people privileged enough to own cars in a city.

BlodwynPig

waste of time... consume consume consume (sub-standard crap). The only emotion you could justifiably come away with is HAPPY*

*to stave off madness.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 08, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
Meanwhile in Hamburg they've managed to put on a decent sized screen and not restrict it to people privileged enough to own cars in a city.

Are they showing the same film on both sides? Is it reversed on one side?

idunnosomename

haha you get to look at the side of the trafford centre with an ickle screen yer mam set the aspect ratio for. marvellous.

Christ, the idea of watching ancient movies from a stuffy car for £25 seemed bad enough, but that is something else.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 09, 2020, 02:02:56 PM
Christ, the idea of watching ancient movies from a stuffy car for £25 seemed bad enough, but that is something else.

My old man said the one at the park near them used a wireless speaker they hand out to listen to it on (apparently using the 800mhz 'entertainments' band - he was bored enough to have a scan with his sdr) so you can't even have it in Stereo in good sound over the car radio either.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 08, 2020, 11:06:09 AM

There used to be regular outdoor film screenings near City Hall in London. During the Fringe and the Film Festival in Edinburgh there are usually some film screenings in St. Andrew Square, and the BBC Centre at the Fringe does outdoor screenings of Doctor Who, Sherlock etc for which you can borrow wireless headphones.

Oh yes, and these things are all free. Not £25, free. Some real fucking chancers trying to capitalise on the lockdown here!

Small Man Big Horse

My local cinema opened on Friday, there was no announcement in advance, an email just arrived saying you could go there right now. It also said that while masks are mandatory when buying tickets and walking to the auditorium, you could take them off once sat down. Maybe I've misunderstood the new rules but I thought you had to keep them on the whole time while watching the film, I tweeted them to clarify and they chose to ignore me, and due to that there's no way I'm risking it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 10, 2020, 02:18:29 PM
My local cinema opened on Friday, there was no announcement in advance, an email just arrived saying you could go there right now. It also said that while masks are mandatory when buying tickets and walking to the auditorium, you could take them off once sat down. Maybe I've misunderstood the new rules but I thought you had to keep them on the whole time while watching the film, I tweeted them to clarify and they chose to ignore me, and due to that there's no way I'm risking it.

Arseholes will take them off in the dark anyway, I imagine and policing it would ruin it for everyone else.

I'm not saying they should just let it slide and they definitely should encourage people to wear them. But the above reasoning is why I'm in no rush to go back.

steveh

The cinema trade organisation managed to persuade the government that people should be allowed to remove masks once in the auditorium so they can eat and drink as that's what the industry's business model is based on.