Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gyms, pools and theatres to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 09, 2020, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2020, 02:49:19 PM
Arseholes will take them off in the dark anyway, I imagine and policing it would ruin it for everyone else.

They should just bring in a simple cattle prod related system, one five second burst for the first offence, ten seconds for the second, and death by cattle prod for the third.

QuoteI'm not saying they should just let it slide and they definitely should encourage people to wear them. But the above reasoning is why I'm in no rush to go back.

Yeah, likewise, I was slightly tempted by Bill and Ted Face The Music being released on the 28th but I just don't want to risk it anymore.

olliebean

Quote from: steveh on August 10, 2020, 04:13:04 PM
The cinema trade organisation managed to persuade the government that people should be allowed to remove masks once in the auditorium so they can eat and drink as that's what the industry's business model is based on.

The rules now in force allow an exemption "to eat or drink if reasonably necessary." Presumably whether "reasonably necessary" means "only immediately before, during, and after actually putting something in your mouth" or "the entire duration of the film during which you might conceivably put something in your mouth, whether you actually do or not" is left up to the discretion of the cinemas.

MrMrs

Showcase PHONED me on Saturday, in response to my email, to confirm customers don't need to wear coverings while watching the film. Turned into a really good night. Watched Pulp Fiction. Lovely.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MrMrs on August 10, 2020, 11:51:26 PM
Showcase PHONED me on Saturday, in response to my email, to confirm customers don't need to wear coverings while watching the film. Turned into a really good night. Watched Pulp Fiction. Lovely.

That's really weird as I'm sure it goes against the advice from the government. And it definitely goes against advice from scientists types, the AV Club published this interview earlier this week that I found really interesting / depressing.

QuoteThe A.V. Club: What's so dangerous about a movie theater compared to other locations that are open already?

Dr. Anne W. Rimoin: I mean, the thing people need to realize is that there really is no zero-risk scenario during this COVID pandemic. We're advising people to not interact with others beyond their immediate family or home bubble unless absolutely necessary, to limit gatherings of more than 10 people in any given space, and to avoid indoor areas. And you should definitely not be in an indoor area where you'd be taking your mask off, not even for eating. Movie theaters have all of that.

Dr. Abdul El-Sayed: I'm a huge fan of movies. I really enjoy them. They're a great way to have some fun and escape from the world—which we need, especially right now. But going to see a movie in an indoor movie theater, it's just about the last thing I would do right now. From what we understand, the virus is transmitted through through aerosolized droplets that come out of our mouths, oftentimes when we talk or when we laugh or when we sing. And so, being in a room for two hours with a bunch of folks who are laughing at a movie, and where air is not being circulated in an efficient way, and where you don't know who has been in there before you, that's really hazardous exposure. I just don't think it's worth it.

AWR: And if they're selling concessions, people are gonna be taking off their masks and eating, and that's tantamount to eating in a restaurant in a closed space—even worse, because you're basically in a closed box. There aren't even windows, there's no ventilation. Right now you want to be thinking about "time, space, people, place": You want to think the about the amount of time you're spending, how socially distant you can be, who you will be around, and what the ventilation is like. And it's not just one of those boxes you should check; you need to be checking all of them.

AVC: So if we have a loved one who won't listen and insists on going to a movie theater, what should we tell them to make sure they are mitigating the risks as much as possible?

AWR: Short of renting out an entire theater, which is obviously not an option for most of us, there is no scenario in which going to a movie theater is a good idea. If a movie theater is opening, they should close concessions and they need to have employees in the theaters with night-vision goggles to be able to really see people and make sure that nobody's bringing in food and everyone is wearing masks at all times. That's another reason movie theaters aren't a good idea: You can't control what everybody else is doing around you. So if you're in room with however many people for a few hours, and you don't know their risk statuses, you're totally subject to the risk of everybody else around you.

AE-S: I'd tell people to wear a mask and keep it on the entire time. And do everything touchless: Buy your ticket online, have it on your phone, don't let them touch your phone when they scan it. Don't spend any time in the common spaces: Go straight to your theater, sit as far away from folks as you possibly can. I agree concessions should be closed, and they should be wiping down the entire theater in between every screening.

AVC: We hear we don't need to wipe down our mail or groceries, so why would they need to wipe down the theater?

AE-S: When you think about people shopping, most of the time they're not picking up or touching a lot of things that they don't end up putting in their cart and taking with them. Whereas, in a movie theater, somebody was literally sitting in that seat for multiple hours just before you got it. The probability of the virus being transmitted is really a function of how much virus is left on a particular surface, so that's why I think wiping down a theater is important. That being said, that method of transmission is so much less likely than the aerosolized spread in the air. And, unfortunately, there's very little you can do about that, which is why I think it's ill-advised to go to movie theaters at all right now.

AVC: As things progress, what indicators should we be looking for to tell us it might be okay to go to a theater?

AWR: When it would be safe would be when we have community transmission under control here, so that is not widespread and we're only dealing with very small clusters. When there's adequate testing and tracing and you only have these little brush fires, not a huge flash fire like we currently have. I just don't think that we are anywhere near that level, and I don't foresee us being there any time in the near future.

AE-S: You know, we're having a debate in our country right now about opening up schools. That's an activity that is mission-critical to society—kids being able to be educated and freeing up their parents to work, even if that means simply working from home—and we're still asking whether or not it's worth the risk. We certainly should be doing that safely before we're doing anything for leisure.

AVC: So, no going to the movies.

AWR: What I do think is really innovative and exciting is drive-in theaters are springing up all over the place, and outdoor screenings are happening.

AE-S: Outdoor movie theaters, or watching a movie in your car, those are great. But the safest thing is to stay home and watch it on Netflix. We have to remember that it's not just our risks that we're talking about. It's about whether or not we are serving as a vessel to spread it to people who may not be as healthy. And, of course, you never know how your course is going to turn out. I've talked to too many young, healthy people who've had terrible courses. Unfortunately, a lot of people in my life have passed away who otherwise you would have expected would've had a mild course. No one can know what's going to happen to themselves or a loved one, so it's just better not to take the risk.

https://film.avclub.com/please-don-t-go-to-a-movie-theater-it-s-just-about-th-1844756993

MrMrs

They were adamant it was in line with guidance (fucking hate this terminology).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MrMrs on August 19, 2020, 09:53:35 PM

I'm sure you're right, either way I'm not going to risk it sadly though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MrMrs on August 19, 2020, 09:53:35 PM

Guidance schmeidance. If the guidance told you to jump off a Nicholas Cage would you do it?