Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's World Of TV

Started by Malcy, July 09, 2020, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

QuoteBBC Two is to broadcast a new series called Harry Hill's World Of TV.

The BBC has announced that the format will see the host present "a hilarious lesson in TV history [and] a demonstration of what is required to make each of the main TV genres".

Each of the six 30-minute episodes will focus on a different TV genres: soaps, medical dramas, police dramas, home improvement, cookery and history documentaries.

Line Of Duty, Dixon Of Dock Green, Fanny Craddock, Who Do You Think You Are?, The Grove Family, Dr Finlay's Casebook, EastEnders and Barry Bucknell's Do It Yourself are amongst the shows the comedian will be selecting clips from.

World Of TV will mix both archive and, like his previous ITV series TV Burp, recent programmes, including Grand Designs and Coronation Street.

Hill says: "It's about time someone blew the whistle on how these TV shows are put together and it looks like I'm the man for the job. Watching TV will never be the same again! I predict this series of programmes will be required viewing for all students of TV. We're talking TV landmark... jus' sayin'."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5831/harry-hills-bbc2-series/

Really looking forward to this. I still see things in TV shows and think to myself that they would have been on TV Burp if it was still on. Seems like this will be somewhat similar to it.

alan nagsworth

Yeah consider me keen as well. I saw him do stand up in a very small London venue twice a few years back and he was absolutely on fire, so he's still got plenty of potential.

I was watching "First Class Scamp" recently and some of it had me absolutely in hysterics. The climactic gag of the various scattered bits about his nan's senility had me laughing so hard I had to pause the fucking DVD. Love the bloke to bits.

Shit Good Nose

GREAT news.

I dearly miss Burp - I can't think of any other comedy program that had punchlines to jokes set up five or six series prior, and on primetime ITV as well - big balls on both Harry and ITV.

dr beat

This sounds good, like somewhere between TV Burp and Screenwipe.

Famous Mortimer

Check out Australian show "The Joy Of Sets" from a few years back for a very funny go through what sounds like similar ish material.

idunnosomename

oh Mr Harry! remember when CaB cancelled you in 2010 for your ill-judged classist punching-down post-Little Britain?

I don't wish to derail the thread btw, I think he's a good egg and that was just a bit of misstep in those days when it seemed to many that we had achieved a classless society and prejudice was over. Considering the utter harm a lot of celebs have used their platform in these nightmare days to push the Tories into a massive majority by attacking Corbyn or helping push back on transrights, making fun of "chavs" seems rather mild in comparison

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 10, 2020, 12:02:29 AM
oh Mr Harry! remember when CaB cancelled you in 2010 for your ill-judged classist punching-down post-Little Britain?

I don't wish to derail the thread btw, I think he's a good egg and that was just a bit of misstep in those days when it seemed to many that we had achieved a classless society and prejudice was over. Considering the utter harm a lot of celebs have used their platform in these nightmare days to push the Tories into a massive majority by attacking Corbyn or helping push back on transrights, making fun of "chavs" seems rather mild in comparison
So, his shitty behaviour pales in comparison to the much shittier behaviour of the comedians of the past ten years? It's an odd defence. I guess I don't want to derail the thread either, and am happy to watch his new stuff on its own merits, but he never commented on its less-than-stellar reception, right?

alan nagsworth

I have proper working class roots, I grew up in a relatively poor household, raised by a depressed single mother on a council estate, and Hill's wee dalliance with down-punchery never tarnished my opinion of him enough to make me want to stop watching his other stuff.

imitationleather

I watched that I Wanna Baby video again recently and it's even worse than I remembered. Just dreadful in every way.

But I forgive the guy because of how much other amazing stuff he has given us. I'm looking forward to this new show loads.

Malcy

This is starting BBC2 Sun 23rd August at 8.30pm.

I thought it was a couple of months away yet so great news.

Small Man Big Horse

Straight after the new series of Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing, meaning BBC2 might actually have an entire hour of great comedy that evening.

Fambo Number Mive

Just a reminder this is on tonight.

Pseudopath

Wow...this is weak. Oh, Mr. Harry.

Small Man Big Horse

It really is. Most of the time he's just describing what's taking place on screen rather than being funny, and the odd absurder moment have been watered down enormously.

Virgo76

Enjoyable enough when he was just mocking clips from soaps (although the endless succession of 'two teas, please' was overdone). Many of the clips were risible enough their own right.
Dubbing silly voices over the top added nothing to it though.
Matt Berry's Squeamish About was hampered by the same tendency.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 10, 2020, 12:07:53 AM
So, his shitty behaviour pales in comparison to the much shittier behaviour of the comedians of the past ten years? It's an odd defence. I guess I don't want to derail the thread either, and am happy to watch his new stuff on its own merits, but he never commented on its less-than-stellar reception, right?

I'm pretty sure he did confess that "I Wanna Baby" was something he regretted doing. I can't find a source for that now though, so maybe I misremembered it.

Really enjoyed this though- TV Burp meets How TV Ruined Your Life.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 23, 2020, 09:12:54 PM
Enjoyable enough when he was just mocking clips from soaps (although the endless succession of 'two teas, please' was overdone).

'Two teas' was the only amusing bit. The longer it went on, the funnier it became. Very poor otherwise, just a load of terribly weak and obvious jokes. I appreciate the ridiculous amount of effort that went into it, the writers and researchers trawled through hours and hours of obscure, forgotten footage. But all they could come up with was a particularly sub-par episode of The World According to Smith and Jones.

Rolf Lundgren

I didn't think it was so bad really but it's TV Burp rehashed into a worse format. Maybe because half of Burp was about soaps, it felt like I'd already seen this before but can see it being better depending on the subject.

Alberon

The inevitable comparisons to TV Burp only make this look weaker than it was.

The clips themselves were the funniest bit, the narration over the top largely superfluous.

Verdict - Mostly Harmless.

Shit Good Nose

It's fine that it exists - Alberon's right - but I didn't enjoy it at all.  Honestly I'd sooner have had another series of the cooking show or even Stars In Their Eyes.

It's almost more You've Been Framed but with TV show clips instead of home videos.  Doesn't really work for me.  I was also surprised to see that he got a sole writing credit as it didn't see like his usual style (although I'm guessing the "program associates" are staff writers).  Massively disappointed.  Sorry Harry.

I'll give it another go next week though.

petril

[tag]He's not doing KILROY, because his last one was WORSE than a straight compilation of CLIPS?[/tag]
[tag]cataracts[/tag]

dr beat

It was ok, undemanding stuff for a Sunday night, but thats all really.  Perhaps owed a bit to Rhys Thomas work as much as TV Burp.  I think they should have chosen a different theme other than soaps for the first episode, as they were very much a staple of Burp and it made this show look too similar in comparison, so not a good start.  I'm interested to see what kind of older obscure clips they use for other episodes as the amount of homework they've done in that regard was a plus. 

neveragain

Yeah, I thought it was alright and quite amusing in parts. The 'Tales of the Unexpected' music section was very funny (as was the aforementioned 'two teas', although there really shouldn't have been any repetition-based bits after that). There have been better clip shows but it's still fun. They really missed a trick with Crossroads, if it's anything like its reputation there should have been loads of fumbles and stumbles.

thugler

It was just about watchable but I don't like the format. It's a bit boring and not as fun as Harry's things usually are, he's better with a studio audience messing about.

Fambo Number Mive

Felt like I learnt quite a bit about early soaps. The two teas bit went on for far too long. The noise that accompanied each title card was annoying. It wasn't great but at the moment anything vaguely funny is welcome. One of the few things I've watched live this year. Looking forward to the next one.

KennyMonster

I enjoyed it.
It wasn't as good as TV Burp at its height but I remember that lost its way towards the end and I felt a bit uncomfortable with the way they did things like make fun of an actors appearance (the fat woman on Eastenders who they had a bloke pretend to be in the studio).

This was better than Burp at its worst but not quite Burp at its best.

Like others have said, harmless and enjoyable, I hope other TV genres less Burpy have some good insights.

Malcy

Thought it was good but did find myself a little bit bored at times. Favourite bits were 'Alan Partridge', Two Teas & just having a TV Burp style look at the soaps again. Interested to see what the other genres are.

shh

The cheese cut was sublime. I think I could see a few slice marks in the first cheddar, they'd obviously done a few retakes to get it spot on. Understandable.

Captain Z

I think the problem with trying to tackle one huge genre of TV in half an hour is that you sort of have to do the obvious jokes. "Soaps are about everyday life..." cut to: murder, explosion, plane crash. My favourite parts were TV Burp callbacks. The joy of TV Burp was being able to deal with the mundanity of an average week's schedule.

Still alright though, 6/10.

Glyn

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 24, 2020, 08:14:37 PM

This was better than Burp at its worst but not quite Burp at its best.

That is quite a wide chasm to be fair ,although I always found it watchable even at it's worst.

Would agree with Captain Z that the joy of TV burp was from the lesser obvious bits of the weeks TV whereas this format leans much more to major events which feel a bit more obvious (although thinking about that Corrie tram crash still makes me chuckle now).

Soaps was always going to be the one that suffers with a TV burp comparison (and perhaps reality TV) so hopefully the other topics wont suffer as much for that.