Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's World Of TV

Started by Malcy, July 09, 2020, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

It reminded me how much my teen self fancied Karen Grant out off of Brookside. Thank gawd Tracy Corkhill didn't appear or I'd have been in all sorts of bother.

amateur

Second one of these had a lot of clunky jokes - the repeated archive clips of disabled factory workers really stuck out, and similar to last week's jabs at the Welsh a clunky joke about male doctors/female nurses also should have been struck out of the script.

The funniest bits were typical Hill japery - the
Spoiler alert
baby driving the car
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
poem
[close]
at the end were fantastic and up there with the sort of brilliance TV burp used to do. But it's a rum old beast, this show.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

So, which one's better ? TV Burp or World of TV?

No need to fight, TV Burps orbviously better, by the sound of things.

The tone's off, there's no charm, no proper silliness.

rue the polywhirl

Which one is better?  World of TV or wall with paint drying?

No need to fight. Mr Wall-with-paint-drying, step onto the first place podium!

Spudgun

The first episode seemed to me like it was trying its best not to be TV Burp, but by the end had given up and turned into TV Burp. This second one almost felt like an episode of Look Around You in tone.

Not as bad as some are making out in my opinion, but if you're expecting zany wacky Saturday night prime time Harry, forget it. I think I'm going to stick this one out and see where it goes, though.

Brundle-Fly

I enjoyed the first episode but it sort of falls between two stools of being a direct piss take of the way old TV shows were made and then getting laughs out of using old footage of TV shows in a different context. The problem I have with the latter approach is that I'm far more interested in knowing where the source material actually comes from.

Tony Tony Tony

After two episodes still undecided on this one though it does have some redeeming features.

The Bruno Brookes bit in No 2 was pretty good and was enhanced by the ridiculous fashions on show.   

Alberon

The best bits are still the clips themselves - The Ties That Bind, Bruno Brookes and the most unconvincing motorbike accident ever committed to video tape.

I'm beginning to think this series would be funnier if it took itself slightly more seriously, more along the lines of Brooker's How TV Ruined Your Life. TV Burp worked best when it was playing with the smallest bits of the week's programmes. It doesn't quite work trying to sum up an entire genre.

Fambo Number Mive

History documentaries this week. Quite amusing so far, in particular the people taking part in an Iron Age reconstruction who have all been shifting and vomiting.

Not keen on the#Metoo joke.

amateur

I found the sections where he talks back to the clips on screen exhausting.

Fambo Number Mive

The ones where a history presenter is walking across screen without looking at the camera and Hill kept shouting to them to look at the camera got a bit tedious.

neveragain

If I continue to watch this, I'll have to watch it before Gone Fishing as Harry really kills the calming vibe. In fact, his show is very annoying.

Shit Good Nose

I think the phone call with Nigel from Eastenders is the hardest I've laughed at this show so far.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 08, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
The ones where a history presenter is walking across screen without looking at the camera and Hill kept shouting to them to look at the camera got a bit tedious.

Quite a lot of the jokes are way too repetitive, even in Harry Hill terms.

thugler

The history one was baaad. Very dull, a couple of laughs from talk of people shitting themselves but not much more. Very dry.

McDead

Quote from: thugler on September 08, 2020, 03:46:13 PM
The history one was baaad. Very dull, a couple of laughs from talk of people shitting themselves but not much more. Very dry.

Definitely my least favourite of the three so far. Found myself getting very protective of AJP Taylor and his little ums and ers. There's lots to mock about the modern version of this type of programming, but they took the safer option of focusing in on stuff from decades ago. Not much to mock about The Ascent of Man, Harry, you're making yourself look a bit of a twat there.

Uncle TechTip

Yes,. TV Burp would have laid into the modern approach. Now he's on the Beeb he shies away from it.

BBC 4 needs to start repeating James Burke's Connections.

the

Just caught up with these. Has given me a few hearty chuckles but it's a bit of a lumpy beast. I think it's at its best when it's dealing with stuff that's cynically ludicrous or mundane.

There are all sorts of problems with it though. It's infilled with a lot of lazy jokes, and they don't seem to care about the cut-off point for repetition. And as mentioned elsewhere, the sound design is awful - that blaring horn noise, and the music bed for the voiceover has this horrible intermittent jangling percussion that's really offputting.

Something which is starting to make itself apparent is that they seem to be searching subtitle files for frequent phrases and then editing together all the instances of what they find ('two teas', 'nice of you to join us', 'don't know'). I did like all the 'Ties That Bind' title captions though, as it was a fun poke at how clichéd and pregnant episode titles are.

And I do like the occasional tendency towards oddness, like the 'yellow tomato' bit, gives it a vague whiff of something more esoteric like Inside Victor Lewis-Smith. I'm glad it's a more intimate non-audience thing. As a show I certainly find it preferable to Alien Fun Capsule.

The way it sets out landmark early shows of a genre is neat and feels dangerously educational too.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the on September 09, 2020, 01:16:25 PM
it's a bit of a lumpy beast.

Very good way to describe it.  On balance, though, I actually prefer Alien Fun Capsule.

Alien Fun Capsule was miles better than this.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on September 09, 2020, 02:01:39 PM
Alien Fun Capsule was miles better than this.

Even after three episodes, I would still honestly prefer another series of the cooking show or Stars In Their Eyes.  I mean what I REALLY want is another series of Burp or TV Show, but neither of those are going to happen.

Tony Tony Tony

Was really looking forward to more Harry before this but I bailed out part way through episode three.

Suppose we should give Harry props for attempting something new during lock down but the fact that BBC shunted it to BBC 2 tells you something, should we see him on BBC 3 in future we will know the Beeb have given up on him.

It seems a shame that we don't see enough of Harry himself as I reckon a lot of his appeal comes from him doing his schtick, his antics on the episode of Grayson Perry's Art Club, where he featured, being a case in point.   

ajsmith2

Only seen the history episode: some amusing observations worth the effort to trawl and cross reference the archives but way too many moments of 'Steve Wrights commentary on TOTP2' style say what you see first thought worst thought witlessness. As observed above, actually more entertaining/successful  as an informative programme on the development of history docs (I'd never heard of 'Connections' before, which looks fascinating when you read about it) than as an attempt at comedy.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 09, 2020, 10:18:37 PM

Suppose we should give Harry props for attempting something new during lock down ..................

What, like:

"Thanks for making some new telly for us Harry, here's Trigger's broom from OFAH"?

Surely he should just get paid with money for making the show like anyone else would?

BeardFaceMan

I want to like this, I really do, but there's way too much repetition in this, even by Harrys standard. Some of these segments just drag on forever.

Malcy

I enjoy it but it gets a bit boring at times. And that horn can really fuck right off.

Malcy

I now hate the phrases 'high standard' & 'state of the art' after watching this weeks. Also an odd thing I noticed was that the subtitles thought the Homes Under The Hammer estate agent music was by NWA!

Norton Canes

Been catching up on these, seen Cookery (good), Home Improvement (quite good) and History (nah). Must be a sucker for this kind of thing as I always liked watching 'The World According To Smith And Jones'.

Captain Z

Yeah I thought the cookery one was the best so far, I laughed a few times but I can't remember specifics. Very low quality clips of Jamie Oliver for some reason, looked like they were sourced off YouTube.

Ray Travez

Yeah I enjoyed cookery; and the history one. A lot of the pisstaking is shooting fish in a barrel, but HH just does it better than most.