Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Techie: Upload shenanigans.

Started by bill hicks, February 26, 2004, 06:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill hicks

My upload speed has gone tits up and I don't have the faintest idea why.

To be honest I don't even know what the problem could possibly be. At the moment anyone trying to get anything off me in Soulseek is just ending up hanging at 0.1k (it should be 25-30k) and then failing, and on Bit Torrent I can't get above 10k upload maximum. Because of the way Bit Torrent works of course this is limiting my download speed and keeping me between 10 and 15k, when normally I'd be able to average out at about 90-120k. A film just took 18 hours for fucks sake.

(Before you ask, I also tried it on the new episode of 24 (over 1500 seeds) and it was exactly the same).

One possible thing I thought of was that I had a worm caught up in my system restore, the anti virus stopped it, and I had to disable and then reenable restore to get rid of it. It may have been around that time this started.

I've defragged, done a full Virus check, and scanned with AdAware and nothing helps.

Any help most apprectiated.

El Unicornio, mang

your upload speed being low shouldn't affect your donwload speed. In fact, a higher upload speed would make your download speed decrease.
Maybe there's something wrong with your internet connection?

bill hicks

No I mean with Bit Torrent. My d'l speed is good over the web and on p2p, but Bit Torrent is proportional isn't it. I can still reach the good speeds, but my upload being so shit means torrent isn't letting me get them. Most annoying.

I tried running the Adsl Guide speed test and it measures the downstream fine (924k), but hangs on the upstream test.

This is really getting on my tits.

I even disabled the firewall and virus software for it and it still hung on me.

Oh and I tried turning off the modem for the 2 minute reset, and checked the support tool for network setting changes, but nothing as far as I can tell is wrong.

gazzyk1ns

Maybe it's just Bit Torrent? In my experience it's very good at sucking the life out of your connection when it's not appearing to be using anywhere near all of your bandwidth, up or down.

I just let it get on with it and not do anything at the same time except browse and post here.

bill hicks

No, Bit Torrent is the main offender (because it means a film I could get in 4 hours is taking a whole fucking day), but the Soulseek problem is there as well.

I checked for possible caps on the service, but Telewest don't mention it at all as far as I can see.

I've also noticed that posting this reply is slow as well. This has beaten me completely.

El Unicornio, mang

I have to say, I started downloading BTTF last week, and it's only just getting close to being finished, basically down to the fact that only one person is seeding it. with all the other 100 or so folks just having parts. But in a way I prefer it, because it makes me realise what I'm getting.
Usually it would be just "okay, I can have this and this and this in a few hours", which I think spoils you a bit. Having to wait a day or a week makes you appreciate it a bit more I think. I mean, this stuff is free, and it's still a lot quicker than ordering it off Amazon or whatever, so I'm just grateful for that. It's not like I have to have it now. I can do plenty of other stuff while I wait.

Sorry, this is absolutely no help is it?

gazzyk1ns

I know exactly what you mean though, Unicorn... you do get a bit spoiled on BT when more and more downloads just come at you. I was thinking just yesterday that I was downloading episodes of Enterprise a couple of hours after they screened for the first time in the US, burning them, then watching them... so my mate who has Sky is paying £30 a month to see stuff like that, whilst I'm paying 40p for a CD-R per episode, and I'm a few months ahead of him too.

wasp_f15ting

bill hicks

The main problem is that my computer is in my bedroom (about 4 feet from my bed) and I have a 2ghz Athlon. Running my computer overnight is not a pleasant experience.

I've moved over to Azreus (or whatever it's called) and tried getting 24 ep15 again. So far it's moving okay (20k average) but if it drops to 5k again I'm going to start killing motherfuckers. I'm paying £35 a month for 100k damn it.

(Oooh it just went to 85k suddenly!)

I found a forum that mentioned something about ports and p2p restrctions, anyone know if that could be the problem and if there's a way to change the port leechers use to get the file from me?

(19.2k again. Arse)

El Unicornio, mang

There really was no need to blur out "Farmyard.lolita.Assparty-4.avi" Waspy, we've all seen it ;-)

bill hicks

Does that client let you upload a low speed (ie under 10k) while still getting full download speed then Waspy?

wasp_f15ting

Yup :)

As long as there are loads of seeders you'll be okay. I have been doing this for ages.. I restrict my upload to a very generous 3 KB/s  and have 200KB/s for d/l so i can still surf without saturation.

El Unicornio, mang

Like I was saying earlier, if you have your upload speed too high it will "choke" your download speed, so it's best to have it as low as possible without being un-generous to the other folk.

Look at me, pretending to be all techy

bill hicks

See there was me being all nice and everything and you bastards have been doing this for ages and getting away with it.

I even put off shutting down sometimes if someone starts a download on Soulseek.

Anywho. Azimondias or whatever is giving me a nice solid 60k no matter what now, so I'll try Waspy's one out and see what happens.

As for soulseek....tough luck. Sorry to whoever was getting a Cramps lp off me (it's a good'un too) and you'll all have to live without my folder now. Nothing worth getting anyway, just Noam Chomsky lectures, Mark Thomas gigs and Death Metal at the moment. I'm eclectic in my tastes.

Cheers for the help girls.

terminallyrelaxed

Fucking hell thats a bit stingy isnt it? My upload's set to 15kbps, and I do alright. Azureus keeps an eye on your stats though doesnt it? I'm not talking about the warning about "the faster you upload the faster you'll download" that you get when you install it, although it wouldnt be hard to tie together speeds would it, as in if you set it to 10kbps you get such and such a download range, and higher you get  a higher download range, but I'm not sure if this is actually written in.
What bandwidth have you guys got? Over in Florida it must be pretty fat Unicorn, and yet I don't notice any ill-effects at 15kb up on a 512down/256up connection.....

bill hicks

I'm on a 1mb/256k Blueyonder connection.

And my torrent just hit 129.5l and is staying there...I'm a happy camper.

wasp_f15ting

I have 2mb/s | 512kb/s

I do seed rare files for weeks upon end, but its just the vast seeded ones I cut short.

JesusAndYourBush

A few months ago I suddenly found I was getting really slow speeds on bittorrent.  Then I noticed the bt trackers were getting the ip of my webcache rather than my real ip.  I found out ntl were doing somethjing weird with the webcache, so I downloaded Shadows Experimental bt client because it lets you input your ip into it, which stops it going through the webcache like it was doing before.  (Also it lets you limit the number of connections.  I had to limit it to 60 as if I reach about 85 it can crash the modem.)

My only complaint with bittorrent is it downloads too damn fast, not leaving me with any bandwidth for anything else.   Sometime's its HELL just trying to load pages on a forum.

Timmay

I've got 4Mbit/2Mbit. Can often get around 470-490kb/s down it. As for using BitTorrent++, I used to use it, and you can indeed limit and be stingy to what you give everyone else. But a) it's not really good for the BitTorrent network, and b) it crashes all the fucking time.

Borboski

Just to knock this on the end of a existing techy thread...

Is it possible to make copies of games on CD's? Can you simply use Nero to put it in, and make a data copy? (This actually is for own use but that hardly matters does it?)

MojoJojo

Uhhh, yes you can do it, but not a straight copy won't just work, normally.

Two generally approaches: Use special cd copying software which copies all the funky stuff so the CD appears to be indentical. Alcohol 20% does this, and a few others.

The other approach is copy the cd using nero or somesuch, then using a crack which disables the cd checking.

Since gamedevelopers are lazy, they all use a small number of commercial products to protect their games, all of which have been cracked for years.

There is a good website which covers all this stuff, but I don't think I should be posting the link out...