Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sawalha's Chicken Ruin

Started by privatefriend, July 10, 2020, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53360154

Actress Julia Sawalha has said she is "devastated and furious" at not being in the Chicken Run sequel, claiming she was told her voice sounds "too old".

She makes a good point, although I'm not sure Mel Gibson has been dropped for the same reasons. Have you ever been the victim of ageism you old cunt?

kittens

have the Chicken be old too
problem solved

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blumf

"I remember when this used to be alllll fields"

Thomas

Chicken Run is a brilliant film; truly, it is one of my favourites. The score, the action, the tension, the humour - the style and the look. I think it's marvellous.

I'm with Julia and kittens. There's an old rooster in the first film, proving that chickens do age within the Chicken Run universe - I'm sure her voice isn't half as craggy as his. I hope the lovely Nick Park wasn't party to this cynical decision.

Don't mind that they've replaced Mel.

Quote from: privatefriend on July 10, 2020, 12:36:24 PM
Have you ever been the victim of ageism you old young cunt?

I went for an (unsuccessful) job interview some years ago, and I could see that they'd written and circled my youthful age on my CV.

Sebastian Cobb

Do chickens get too old to lay eggs or run out of them? They could have a really bleak plot if so. Maybe get Mike Leigh or Ken Loach in for it.

Thomas

I once read that, in the US, they control the lighting conditions for battery hens, tricking their bodies into thinking it's spring all year round. This means they lay eggs continually rather than just seasonally, prolonging their profitability until they're sapped of energy and calcium.

In the UK I think they just sell them for dog food when the year's up.

A plot and B plot.

Old Nehamkin

Every single piece of news I've heard about Chicken Run 2 has just compounded my initial reaction of "why are they bothering to do a chicken run 2". The whole venture just has a listless, redundant vibe to it. I think it's partly because stop-motion animation has always struck me as having a kind of dignified, precious quality owing to how time-consuming and painstaking the process is (Fast Show etc.), so it feels more wasteful to use that form for a contrived cash-in sequel than it would be if this was a CGI film. It's hard to imagine Peter Lord or Nick Park feeling the necessary spark of creative purpose to make the energy spent on this project feel worthwhile as they bend down to do that thing where they move the position of the characters eyes with a little needle that sticks into a hole in the pupil and then do it again 400 times to make it look like one of the cockney rats just did a double take.

Captain Z

Sounds like a snowflake reaction. Cancel culture is over now, suck it up.

Blinder Data

Were they under any obligation to cast her again as Ginger? If it turns out all the women have been replaced but the men haven't, I could see why it's discrimination.

But if they simply want someone else to play the character I don't see why they have to bring her back. Actors get replaced in franchises all the time. The original came out 20 years ago - I could see why they might want to freshen things up by bringing new actors in.

Did anyone even know Sawalha played Ginger before today? It's hardly an iconic role. It's not like they've booted Harrison Ford from the next Indiana Jones.

It looks like they've ballsed up breaking the news to Sawalha and her ego's been bruised, but I don't see why people are getting so angry.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kittens on July 10, 2020, 12:38:31 PM
problem solved

Then it would be a hen. Is the film called " Hen Run" ? No. It is not.

Do one, sunshine.

privatefriend

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 10, 2020, 02:28:43 PM
Were they under any obligation to cast her again as Ginger? If it turns out all the women have been replaced but the men haven't, I could see why it's discrimination.

But if they simply want someone else to play the character I don't see why they have to bring her back. Actors get replaced in franchises all the time. The original came out 20 years ago - I could see why they might want to freshen things up by bringing new actors in.

Did anyone even know Sawalha played Ginger before today? It's hardly an iconic role. It's not like they've booted Harrison Ford from the next Indiana Jones.

It looks like they've ballsed up breaking the news to Sawalha and her ego's been bruised, but I don't see why people are getting so angry.

I don't think anyone is getting angry, but the fact they themselves brought up age could lead to an discrimination case. It doesn't sound like that's the route she's going for anyway. In conclusion they should replace her with Richard Herring doing a squeaky lady voice.

idunnosomename

The chicken dodder about into grave haha old

Thomas

notjosh

It's linked in the article, but here's the video comparison she made herself.

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 10, 2020, 02:28:43 PM

I mean, I did. It's not a bravura performance or anything, but it's still inextricably part of the character. Ageism aside, I think this speaks to a general lack of respect for voice actors. You can't see their face so no one will know the difference right? Just get Jon Culshaw to do it.

Thomas

Quote from: notjosh on July 10, 2020, 02:48:49 PM
It's linked in the article, but here's the video comparison she made herself.

You can see hear why Julia is pissed off if 'aged voice' is the lone, paltry reason they gave.

It doesn't even apply, she sounds the same - and that's without studio recording, audio treatment, a foley soundscape, and a score over the top.

SavageHedgehog

Isn't the idea that this is about a new generation of Care Bears Chickens?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2020, 03:35:48 PM
You can see hear why Julia is pissed off if 'aged voice' is the lone, paltry poultry reason they gave.

It doesn't even apply, she sounds the same - and that's without studio recording, audio treatment, a foley soundscape, and a score over the top.

Why don't they cast her older sister Nadia instead? She's always sounded like she's been on 1000 Rothman's a day too, that will really rub her nose in it.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 10, 2020, 04:53:32 PM
Isn't the idea that this is about a new generation of Care Bears Chickens?

The Neggst Hen-er-egg-tion.

pigamus

Why haven't they just rebooted it if this is what they want to do?

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: kittens on July 10, 2020, 12:38:31 PM
problem solved

That is fucking funny

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2020, 12:46:42 PM
Do chickens get too old to lay eggs or run out of them? They could have a really bleak plot if so. Maybe get Mike Leigh or Ken Loach in for it.
but they escaped the chicken farm in the last movie

like why are they doing a sequel

what could it possibly be about

pigamus

Well this is what I mean about a reboot, I mean it was twenty years ago, surely that's enough time

BritishHobo

Ah that's total fucking dogshit that is. Absolute fucking wank. I'm out. I didn't think I cared this much about Julia Sawalha but I do - bollocks to you, Aardman.

It's felt like a cynical move since it was announced. Going back to something beloved of theirs because the original stuff wasn't doing very well. This just feels disappointing, like a lack of interest in what made the original successful. I'm actually surprised I'm this put out by this. But I am. I FUCKING AM. Aardman you fucking plasticine-bothering CUNTS.

Pijlstaart

I have been able to be my own chicken and that is fine for me, but to do so required fortitude, courage and belief in oneself: if you are to be a chicken then you cannot be a chicken. Myself I'm giddy on it, no regrets, stepping into the hen archetype has spiced up both my professional and personal life, and I imagine it will do the same for Julia Sawalha. It's interesting that none of the benefits are intrinsic to being a hen, they are the product of sympathetic media portrayals and there is a surfeit of goodwill with which to be basted.

Henrich Hennler of course went the other way, from hen to man, and though he remained too hen to be a true man, the nazi's didn't suspect a thing and so history was made. To each their own.

Sequel should have a stop motion Julia Sawalha with the voice done by a real chicken.

Gulftastic

Told she is literally no spring chicken.

Alberon

The synopsis is that time has passed and they've had chicks of their own. So what's the fucking problem?

They want to cast some pop star I've never heard of as I'm over 30[nb]Well over 30, but that's not the point[/nb].

Fuck you, Aardman you sell-out whores!!!

Why am I so annoyed by this? The original film wasn't amazing.

Thomas

Quote from: Alberon on July 10, 2020, 07:22:44 PM
Why am I so annoyed by this? The original film wasn't amazing.

YES IT WAS

for fuck's sake

notjosh