Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sawalha's Chicken Ruin

Started by privatefriend, July 10, 2020, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: notjosh on July 10, 2020, 08:15:41 PM
It's a great film with an amazing soundtrack

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eFR3Fmx2BP4

My favourite track is Into the Pie Machine. The whole pie machine scene is brilliant.

The PlayStation game was pretty good, too. Wide open world, multiple playable characters. Sense of atmosphere.

Yep - Chicken Run remains great.

machotrouts

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2020, 08:22:14 PMThe PlayStation game was pretty good, too. Wide open world, multiple playable characters. Sense of atmosphere.

You call it sense of atmosphere 10-year-old me calls it pants shitting terror

BritishHobo

From 2 mimutes onwards in the Main Titles is fuckinh great: https://youtu.be/p_Hl9Vune6A

The kind of rousing music that makes you want to stamp on some claymation chickens to defend Julia Sawalha.

Barry Admin

She's probably right and it's an excuse, as with Gibson. A 'polite' way of telling her that she's not famous or culturally relevant enough anymore?

Blinder Data

I hope she starts a Crowdfunder to release her own version of Chicken Run 2 in which she dubs Ginger's lines with her own voice. I'd certainly pay #cancelaardman

BritishHobo

Nick Park - CANCELLED

Peter Sallis - CANCELLED

Penguin with the glove on his head - CANCELLED

idunnosomename

Can you cancel the dead?

Big admirer of Aardman but I'm not a big fan of Chicken Run. It's good yeah but was never mad on it. Great escape stuff was too on the nose I think. That said better than Flushed "oh no we cant do water sure we'll do it on a computer" Away. The big voice talent names for Chicken Run laid way for that but I admit that it used them well (Chicken Run, not Flushed Away, which can fuck off down the toilet)

chveik

loved it as a kid but I remember it to be really grim. probably the subconscious reason that made me vegetarian

bgmnts

I don't even know why they gave a shit excuse, they can surely hire anyone else for the role if they want.

Kelvin

I hope I eventually become a 50 year old Tory so I can properly appreciate these wretched Aardman films about boring cunts brewing tea.

Replies From View

I'm not very fond of Chicken Run; was always a big fan of Aardman's earliest works but something happened between The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave to make the models feel less handmade and the animation process quicker and more easily replicable by many people working at once.  For me Chicken Run was when I first felt Aardman's characters were dead behind the eyes.  I haven't seen it since it first came out, so maybe I am being unkind.  But when they moved to CGI for Flushed Away to get that film made more quickly for Dreamworks, I remember thinking that not much was lost.  The material qualities of plasticine were no longer being explored in Aardman's films and it felt like they weren't doing anything Pixar couldn't do.  I thought the Wallace and Gromit feature marked an improvement, but maybe that's because I already loved those characters.

Anyway, sequels of animations often have recast characters, especially when they originally featured big names that they can no longer afford to pay.  What this says is that Chicken Run 2 is a cheap knock-off, possibly straight-to-DVD.  Maybe they weren't expecting to get interest from the original cast and simply assumed they wouldn't have Mel Gibson back so would struggle to get the rest.  Or they just wanted a clean break, in which case what's the point of bringing back the same characters.  If they're meant to be several years older they're not going to encounter the same problem as The Incredibles 2.

But I don't really feel like I give much of a shit about this film.  It's just a plainly and obviously shitty thing to say to an actress.

George White

I think Netflix are probably to blame, TBH.

Aardmanhave long been in this situation.
With Katzenberg/Dreamworks, they were constantly butting heads. AFAIK the one contract stipulation for the Wallace and Gromit film was that Sallis had to star. Other studios wanted a bigger name.
While Katzenberg really didn't want Shane Richie in a pivotal role in Flushed Away. You can tell they wanted Gervais.
And Pirates - In An Adventure with Scientists - Martin Clunes had already recorded all his dialogue as the Captain when Sony insisted on a bigger name.

SavageHedgehog

It would have been pretty funny if Curse of the Ware Rabbit were the exact same movie but Tom Cruise was the voice of Wallace.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt's just a plainly and obviously shitty thing to say to an actress.

Yep.

I don't think the decision itself to simply not rehire the same person for the part after so long warrants outrage but when you add to the mixture being basically labelled an old voiced cunt, fuck off cunt with your old voice, what next, are we employing plague victims, go and join them you desperate loser cunt with a grave for a thorax..... You can kind of see why someone would be upset. Like losing a part becomes someone thinks your tits are dead.

idunnosomename

Quote from: George White on July 11, 2020, 09:32:35 AM

And Pirates - In An Adventure with Scientists - Martin Clunes had already recorded all his dialogue as the Captain when Sony insisted on a bigger name.
fucks sake. Celeb voices are a plague on these things

And it STILL didnt make enough money

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2020, 12:46:42 PM
Do chickens get too old to lay eggs or run out of them? They could have a really bleak plot if so. Maybe get Mike Leigh or Ken Loach in for it.

Big laugh at the idea of a Ken Loach iteration of Chicken Run

evilcommiedictator

Next thing you know chickens will be rioting demanding equal representation and toppling statues of Colonel Sanders into nearby watercourses
Henny Cageabolu will write a thinkpiece of how humans doing roles for chickens changed the way people dealt with chickens in everyday life

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: George White on July 11, 2020, 09:32:35 AM
What kind of creepy 8 year old is going to go "No! I don't want Martin Clunes! I want Hugh Grant!"? This is why parents should be banned from kids movies.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Sawalha may be a collateral to Mel Gibson. They didn't want to work with him again, but rather than invoking his racist outbursts or his tarnished reputation, which could have resulted in litigation, they just put into motion an existing clause about age in his contract, then did the same to Sawalha to make it look it wasn't targeted specifically against him. Dick move, sure, but legally plausible.

The reason they rely on big names for animation these days is mostly PR. A big name actor will be able to give interviews to promote the film. A voice actor won't command the same kind of attention.
On a side note, when Shrek 2 premiered in Cannes, Mike Meyers was surprised because he wasn't papped that much. The French press focused instead on the French voice for Shrek, comedian Alain Chabat, who is hugely popular here, and was at a career high then after directing Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (aka the live action adaptation of Astérix that didn't suck). Yet, his voice for Shrek is very different from his regular voice.

Joe Oakes

The silver lining of the story is that it gives Richard Herring the opportunity to mention that he used to go out with her, yet again. Can imagine him punching the air when he heard the news. Then his wife. I really should stop imagining stuff.

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 11, 2020, 03:39:02 PM
What kind of creepy 8 year old is going to go "No! I don't want Martin Clunes! I want Hugh Grant!"? This is why parents should be banned from kids movies.
none, but "oh it's got hugh grant in it, i like him, go on then" helps the box office

BritishHobo

I don't have any particular loyalty to Martin Clunes but that revelation is FUCKED mate. I'm gonna make my own Chicken Run 2 with Julia Sawalha, and Clunes can play Mel Gibson.

idunnosomename

Hugh Grant really isn't bad at all in Pirates!
The whole point of the character is hes generic and nameless though hardly a triumph

But they certainly would have made a profit without forking out for Grant's paycheque. Especially since presumably they still paid Clunes anyway

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd run Julia's chicken and no mistake.

I like chicken, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

pigamus

Being a Hollywood executive is really just taking lots of cocaine and saying "We need a bigger name!" over and over again, isn't it

It sounds brilliant to be fair

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 12, 2020, 04:22:58 AM...Gibson. They didn't want to work with him again, but rather than invoking his racist outbursts or his tarnished reputation

Pfft. Lazy writers. I'd lean into it - have Rocky rant against the global quail conspiracy and paranoid that all geese are criminals, followed by a redemptive #BantamLeghornsMatter subtext - practically writes itself.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Or call one of the chickens sugartits.

Jittlebags

Sawalha can play with my coxcomb any time.

Pseudopath

I still think Kelvin said it best in the old Chicken Run 2 thread:

Quote from: Kelvin on April 30, 2018, 02:47:47 AM
If I might be even more contrary than Replies From View for a second, I would like to suggest that the Wallace and Gromit films are actually even worse than Chicken Run, since they rely not just on obvious, outdated film references, but also on characters very slowly saying the names of biscuits.

They are the kind of films that should only be watched by the very elderly and people with heart defects; the kinds of films that should be given away free with The Daily Mail - and I genuinely hate them.

Savage.