Author Topic: Palm Springs (New Andy Samberg Time Loop Comedy)  (Read 471 times)

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
Palm Springs (New Andy Samberg Time Loop Comedy)
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
This was originally supposed to come out at the cinemas after Hulu paid $22 million for it at Sundance, but is now available to stream / download. A Groundhog Day-esque comedy, for a long old time I thought I was going to love it as Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti are trapped at a wedding, the first two thirds are a huge amount of fun and it makes good use of the old time loop concept, but the final third is rather predictable and features the one cinema cliche I hate the most where the central couple fall out, everyone's a bit mopey, and then they get back together again, and because the last half hour is largely disappointing compared to what came before I can only rate it 7.2/10

Re: Palm Springs (New Andy Samberg Time Loop Comedy)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 06:54:47 PM »
These days I find I can only really take Samberg in small doses, but I do miss this kind of high concept comedy so I'll give it a go sometime.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
I'm not fussed about originality, as long as a film is good, but copying such a distinctive premise seems like dodgy ground to be on. No matter how good it is, it's doomed to be thought of as a Groundhog Day rip off.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 11:12:02 PM »
This might just be me, but I thought the ending would have been massively improved if it had ended at the point the screen went black, just after they'd done the thing they hoped would get them out of it - and it had been left up in the air whether it had worked, and if so what happened to them afterwards. Also they ought to have cut the mid-credits scene which was completely inconsistent with the goat having disappeared entirely from the loop.

But then, I tend to think too much about these things.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
I enjoyed it for what it was and thought it was good that "being good" or "doing the right thing" didn't get them out of the loop. It was SCIENCE!

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:17:50 PM »
Also they ought to have cut the mid-credits scene which was completely inconsistent with the goat having disappeared entirely from the loop.

I thought that, and that it didn't make sense with what they'd set up before, so I'm glad I'm not alone on that.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
Turns out I didn't even notice the dinosaurs in the final shot, which suggests there's something more going on than them just escaping the loop and carrying on living their lives in the normal world.

Tags: