Author Topic: Parts of films (or films) designed to anger you or upset you.  (Read 2511 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: Parts of films (or films) designed to anger you or upset you.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »
Bit near the end of Bone Tomahawk, where the prehistoric creatures scalp and kill a man, is grossly disturbing and I never want to see it again.

The blinded, amputated pregnant women were what I found really gruesome.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well ...enjoy your lifetime supply of virginity!
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »
Fucking Hell, this Bone Tomahawk sounds like a right barrel of laughs.

I don't mind the early works of Todd Solondz, but knowing what a nasty cunt he can be, I had a read of the synopsis of Weiner Dog to confirm my suspicions of how that film would end. Suspicions confirmed, I can safely say I won't be seeing this film, for reasons Blue Jam would be in agreement with.

Blue Jam

• TAKE IT FROM ME, I LOVE YOU!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
I actually loved Wiener Dog. An exception to the rule there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well ...enjoy your lifetime supply of virginity!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 09:55:55 PM »
Oh well, bollocks to you, then.

Kryton

• Disregard the Constabulary
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »
I've not watched Bone Tomahawk, but there's a horrific scene in The Road involving amputees. And something even worse in the book. In fact the whole film is utterly bleak, but I think the end point is to inspire hope not despair? At least that's what I got from it?

Flowers blooming again, fish in the river, that new group who take in the boy (who are hopefully not mad cannibals

Brundle-Fly

• *Jooolie Andreeeews!! Thhhrrrrp!!!!*
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
The beach scene in Under The Skin (2014). In fact, quite a few moments in that film. 

PlanktonSideburns

• and now the dream is over: the pingu is awake
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
The beach scene in Under The Skin (2014). In fact, quite a few moments in that film.

fuckin horrible, that bit. dont think the film had quite enough going for it to justify that myself. which is a shame cos i like it, makes that bit feel a bit edgelordy

theres a thematically similar bit in rick alverson's Entertainment, but i love that film, so i can justify that in my sick, hypocritical mind

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »
Chicken Run 2.

Irreversible probably has the most uncomfortable scene I can remember. The August Underground trilogy can either be disturbing or hilariously bad, depending on how good you are at suspending your disbelief.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »

It's horrible, but I think vital to the story, to show how indifferent she is to human life/anything other than her mission.

Kryton

• Disregard the Constabulary
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
Also in Under the Skin, didn't one of the lads who was taken back to the house have a visibly erect penis? I thought they weren't allowed to show that in films?

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:28 PM »
Also in Under the Skin, didn't one of the lads who was taken back to the house have a visibly erect penis? I thought they weren't allowed to show that in films?

If you're talking about the BBFC, it is (or was) prohibited in their guidelines. In practice, though, it seems like they allow it when they feel it's artistically justified. Same with real sex in movies like 9 Songs, Love etc. Under The Skin might be the only example of a little boner showing up in a 15-rated film, though.

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:28 AM »
If. Under The Skin might be the only example of a little boner showing up in a 15-rated film, though.

Bergman's Persona and Thomas Vinterberg's The Hunt are also 15 and briefly feature boners.

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
Bergman's Persona and Thomas Vinterberg's The Hunt are also 15 and briefly feature boners.

Both still images only briefly seen, from what I remember. Not that I’m sure that makes much of a difference. The BBFC guidelines were always a little inconsistent.

PlanktonSideburns

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
It's horrible, but I think vital to the story, to show how indifferent she is to human life/anything other than her mission.

maybe its just me squirming at baby danger, but i feel like that concept was portrayed well enough with everything else she got up to

i dunno

maybe if id have liked the film a bit more

maybe i need a rewatch

PlanktonSideburns

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
there should be loads more visible throbbers in films mind. its just part of life inni

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
Generally not a fan of baby danger stuff. I still think about the bit in The Witch where a witch pulps a baby. Way too much.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
The production material on Under the Skin shows how incredibly well-crafted that beach scene really is. Everyone, crew and parents, are literally inches away from being in-shot and the moment is a random bit of crying that happens whenever you sit a baby down for more than 30 seconds.

The erection is CGI. Like fake murder, I think they can show a fake erection.

Blue Jam

• TAKE IT FROM ME, I LOVE YOU!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
Completely changing subjects - but the ending to Time Bandits really fucking scared me as a young 'un. As an adult it's kind of brave and bold and perhaps a tiny bit lazy? But it left a bit of a scar on me. Not so much because it involved a child being dumped back into the real world after a wonderful-ish time travelling experience, only to see his parents die. But more so, because of the weird scenes of bleak poverty and the beige horror of their deaths at the hands of a consumer microwave.

I don't know, I like that ending. Kevin's parents are drab and unimaginative and awful and they should have listened to him, and then they die and he gets the reassurance that James Bond will be looking out for him, sounds alright to me. It's also funny because the Time Bandits were after that luxury kitchen and then Kevin's parents get killed by one of their kitchen mod cons.

The bit that upsets me in that film is... yes, you've guessed it, when The Evil Genius kills the dog. Poor Benson disappearing in a pile of exploding fluff :'(

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
maybe its just me squirming at baby danger, but i feel like that concept was portrayed well enough with everything else she got up to

Yeah, it was a horrible scene, but it underscore the otherness. Like how a human poacher will shoot an elephant and not care at all about the calves.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
In the immediate next scene she is in traffic, but the sound of the crying bleeds through, She looks at a child in the back of a car and seems to have some kind of growing awareness (the "drift" as Glazer puts it). She takes some roses from a seller and sees blood on them.

It's very, very good.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2020, 04:36:56 PM »
I remember just a bit prior to millennial/woke culture, fucking every young man had to have a collection of nothing but brutal shit, with Irreversible, Romper Stomper, yeah some Shane Meadows fo' sho' or Nick Love if they're a bit less classy, possibly Scum, some old rapey horror like Last House on the Left or a slightly newer one like Martyrs, Clockywocky Orangeywonge, Faces of Death, then a bit later shit like A Serbian Fillum and The Humon Millipede would be in there.  The movies aren't even necessarily inherently bad, but the weird numb young man psychology where they can only feel something if it's someone getting their head stove in with a fire extinguisher was always unsettling to me.  I knew so many people like this.  I can watch the occasional movie like that, but these people would dive into them like a ball pool at Go Bananas.

I was that young man. Great films! I watched American History X for the billionth time recently because the gf hadn't ever seen it - I'm sure y'all know the kerb stomp scene that most would find particularly distressing, although the prison rape scene was also very nasty, and when they smash up the shop and torture the employees, and of course the ending. Gf loved it; top film. The only bad bit in the film is that fuckin basketball match.

There's one called August's Underground Mordem that is probably illegal to watch in the UK. One of the scenes that was particularly nasty was some kind of rape vomit play that lasted for about 17 minutes.

The fire extinguisher bit on irreversible is far from the most memorably horrible part of it. I don't really wanna say what the most horrible part is because it's a bit of a spoiler, but if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Yer fella who did irreversible also did one called Enter the Void, which I watched on LSD after being advised that it was a film to watch on LSD. There were some pretty nasty bits to that, too.  I also watched irreversible on LSD cos I am hardcore, although I don't think it was a particularly psychedelic experience.

Another great and underappreciated part of a horror movie is in House of 1,000 Corpses, when iirc the father of one of the victims and a cop are trying to rescue the daughter, and instead gets killed by the head honcho of the family, and it plays this song "I'll remember you" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cmFvO0YJA, and then at the end of the song there's a heartbreaking silence and pause until he gets popped in the head.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:52:53 PM by JaDanketies »

Cuellar

• Taxes, they'll be lower...son
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »
The bits I didn't like in The House That Jack Built were the bits when he was rude to women and would insult them. Awful man. Hard to watch.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
Another great and underappreciated part of a horror movie is in House of 1,000 Corpses, when iirc the father of one of the victims and a cop are trying to rescue the daughter, and instead gets killed by the head honcho of the family, and it plays this song "I'll remember you" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cmFvO0YJA, and then at the end of the song there's a heartbreaking silence and pause until he gets popped in the head.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a cunt (unavoidable), but I did have a giggle at the idea of someone using spoiler tags to avoid giving away plot points from House of 1,000 Corpses in 2020.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
I hope this doesn't make me sound like a cunt (unavoidable), but I did have a giggle at the idea of someone using spoiler tags to avoid giving away plot points from House of 1,000 Corpses in 2020.

it's such a multi-layered film

The Mollusk

• I spoke with fervour, embracing the evening
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
If memory serves, there’s a fair bit in “Ex Drummer” that is OTT shock value stuff, but the scene where the chap is bum raped by the fella with the humongous dong in the venue toilet... that’s a bit too rich for my blood

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
Yeah, it was a horrible scene, but it underscore the otherness. Like how a human poacher will shoot an elephant and not care at all about the calves.

A bit less well defined but I'd say theres also a theme in the film about natural locations having a primal life/death significance and I think that scene also acts as a bit of a setup for it to be played out more in the second half. Its not just her character that's shown as brutal but the natural environment, maybe moreso the latter.

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »

I always found the wheelchair part in that film the most disturbing. Just the way they casually tip him over the balcony like he's a piece of rubbish. And knowing that kind of thing was going on every day during that time.

Same. Apart from the German catching sight of the pianist at the very end when he is in the camp it's the only specific bit that sticks in my mind. I think about it a disproportionate amount.

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »
there should be loads more visible throbbers in films mind. its just part of life inni
george lucas orders cg boners to be inserted throughout his back catalogue

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
george lucas orders cg boners to be inserted throughout his back catalogue

I bet he does, the dirty old bollocks.

shagatha crustie

• Don't do to me what you did to America
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »
Darth Maul's angry red and black knob.

Tags: