Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lefty podcast thread

Started by Dog Botherer, July 11, 2020, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think maybe I've hit a wall with these podcasts, at least the ones that focus on domestic American shit. Perhaps there is a Daily Show phenomenon going on where they have been successful for long enough that they have turned into tedious rant-fests speaking directly to an audience that already agrees with everything they say. Needs either more irreverent comedy or more insight into issues that I don't already know about.

I wish there were more good foreign policy oriented podcasts like Media Roots Radio or War Nerd Radio, since they put episodes out so infrequently.

Ornlu

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 09, 2021, 01:44:45 AM
I wish there were more good foreign policy oriented podcasts like Media Roots Radio or War Nerd Radio, since they put episodes out so infrequently.

Possibly not what you're after, but did you check out Blowback?

Famous Mortimer

"Counterspin", while not always super-exciting, is at least short.

WhoMe

Thanks for the Trashfuture recommendation, decided to become a patreon for the extra bits. The 'Britainology' episode on the Falklands war is great.

Dog Botherer

yah the latest Trashfuture with the Trillbillies was v good

WhoMe

I've just seen your link to all the free patreon stuff.. I'll see if they're worth my HARD EARNED £4.50 a month for the time being.

Edit: Shitting hell they're bringing in £13k a month as it is.

Dog Botherer

the only patreon stuff i was really interested in from them was the series with Felix Biederman and they always release that on the main feed eventually.

chveik

thought it was quite pathetic the way the thrillbillies were talking about their 'haters' this <eek. don't start a lucrative podcast about politics if you can't stand people criticizing your analysis (ie downplaying what happened at the capitol) (and I'm being generous, they don't seem to put a lot work into it).

Urinal Cake

It's not really rare on the 'dirtbag left'  or whatever. I guess until buildings are on fire and politicians are  held hostage or dead it doesn't matter.

Quote from: chveik on January 15, 2021, 01:19:05 AM
thought it was quite pathetic the way the thrillbillies were talking about their 'haters' this <eek. don't start a lucrative podcast about politics if you can't stand people criticizing your analysis (ie downplaying what happened at the capitol) (and I'm being generous, they don't seem to put a lot work into it).

I don't mind the kneejerk contrarianism (MSM liberals say something is bad -> "it's not really a big deal"), but they also briefly echoed the extremely dumb argument that Matt Christman has been making recently along the lines of "I can't do anything about it anyway, so why should I care about it?!"

Mofo, you make a living brodcasting to people about politics.

Jakey Chesterton

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 09, 2021, 01:44:45 AM
I think maybe I've hit a wall with these podcasts, at least the ones that focus on domestic American shit. Perhaps there is a Daily Show phenomenon going on where they have been successful for long enough that they have turned into tedious rant-fests speaking directly to an audience that already agrees with everything they say. Needs either more irreverent comedy or more insight into issues that I don't already know about.

The East is a Podcast is very good for this (it's focussed on the near east, but not exclusively). Not really for the irreverent comedy side of things, but it's not stony-faced either.

Mr_Simnock

Just listened to this, interesting stuff, give it a whirl.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 23, 2021, 01:12:27 AM

seconded, have listened to a few, planning on listening to more.

What A Hell Of A Way To Die is similarly military in nature, and also very good. i believe Nate from Trashfuture is involved, if memory serves.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 23, 2021, 01:12:27 AM

Hadn't heard of this one, but unless it's a different guy I think Mike Prysner is also the co-creator of Empire Files and spouse of Abby Martin.