Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lefty podcast thread

Started by Dog Botherer, July 11, 2020, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

That's awful news about Brooks. Shocking. Loved his work.

tribalfusion

Is this thread for discussion of left podcasts only dealing with comedy or more open-ended? I enjoy Doug Henwood's podcast Behind the News, Current Affairs, Jacobin Radio, Richard Wolff's Economic Update, From Alpha to Omega, Politics Theory Other, Verso Podcast, Revolutionary Left Radio, The Dig and many others...

Dog Botherer

DHS's report on Brace from TrueAnon is so fucking funny

PlanktonSideburns

Hand Solo

Maybe should go in the Technology forum, but I didn't know there's a new How Did This Get Played? podcast dealing with bad computer games, so if you want to hear a bunch of Americans talk about James Pond on the Mega Drive, there's that.

Dog Botherer

think i'm starting to enjoy Matt's backyard streams more than regular Chapo

kitsofan34

Me too, though they've been on a good run lately. Ike Barinholtz being a little try hard in ingratiating himself with them was an odd but enjoyable listen.

Retinend

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 11, 2020, 05:33:15 PM
Thought Slime is pretty good.

Ugh. I very much dislike this man. The man, not his politics. For no one else has "passive aggressive" ever been a better description.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 17, 2020, 01:15:31 PM
Me too, though they've been on a good run lately. Ike Barinholtz being a little try hard in ingratiating himself with them was an odd but enjoyable listen.

agreed, it's nice having Virgil back too. had forgotten how funny he can be. can't remember the joke exactly but he absolutely cracked me up on the last one.

Another good lefty podcast: Media Roots Radio with Abby Martin and Robbie Martin (though the former has been on sabbatical the last few months). Big fan of Robbie Martin after seeing him on Tim Heidecker's Office Hours.

prwc

It takes enough non-political tangents to perhaps not fit here but I'm very much enjoying Seeking Derangements. It's hosted by Ben Mora, an ex-Bernie staffer who was fired for some (very funny) tweets about rival democratic candidates. It's very bitchy and snarky but if you're in the mood for that then it's a good call.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Retinend on August 17, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
Ugh. I very much dislike this man. The man, not his politics. For no one else has "passive aggressive" ever been a better description.
I dunno if it's even passive aggressive, it seems pretty direct? There's something very grating about him for me though and it's definitely to do with how he carries his anger. Maybe it's just that he's Canadian and I'm missing some nuance that leads me to make bad assumptions (honestly not sure if I'm joking here).

RE: Matt's streams, they've been pretty good for sure, a lot of how he can occasionally come off as grating on Chapo isn't there at all on the longer form for whatever reason. Lack of time considerations maybe feels him under less pressure to get to the point.

Dog Botherer

i've enjoyed the Seeking Derangement crew popping up on various other pods (Chapo, E1, YBS), haven't listened to much of their actual show apart from the Felix and Brace eps.

Retinend

Good point, let's go with that: he doesn't carry his anger very gracefully.

Great new episode of Media Roots Radio out today with Abby Martin back in studio.

The only sane people in the world?

Jacobin Radio - podcast by Jacobin magazine. Lots of good features and interviews with prominent left wing writers and academics. Comes mostly from a US angle but with a very internationalist outlook. Corbyn and Varoufakis both on in the past few weeks.

Talking Politics - LRB podcast presented by David Runciman, politics professor at Cambridge. Not strictly lefty, but good to get a sense of how left issues are being discussed from a very establishment point of view. Recent interviews with Judith Butler, Chomsky, Piketty etc.

Desolation Radio - my favourite. Mostly focusses on issues in Wales, with a political compass somewhere between Marxist and anarchist. Sense of humour throughout. Reckon this might still be of interest to the non-Welsh and those outside Wales (of which I hear there are many).

Old Nehamkin

Virgil Texas from Chapo has just started a new podcast called Bad Faith with Bernie's former press secretary Briahna Joy Gray. I've not listened yet but I thought it would be of interest to people here. The Twitter replies are already filled with lots of weirdly enraged liberals who I can only presume are taking a quick break to blow off some steam from all the voter outreach work they must be doing for Biden.

Chapo: Why is Amber still on the show? Is she bringing in any part of the fanbase?

PlanktonSideburns

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 06, 2020, 06:26:54 PM
Chapo: Why is Amber still on the show? Is she bringing in any part of the fanbase?
Apart from people who think Spiked and Quillette are great and everyone should read them? Complaining that people wearing masks everywhere are overreacting, and being anti mask herself, hmmmmmmmmm

PlanktonSideburns

Is she anti mask now? The I'm not wearing a mask article was a click bait title, she was definatley mask wearing back then in the early pandemic days

Not sure if she is anti-mask, but in the bit from the latest episode that triggered my post she made some passing comment suggesting that "liberals" were overreacting to the pandemic by acting like aerosol transmission is a thing.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 06, 2020, 10:50:00 PM
i like amber

I actually do like her (at least some of the time) in writing, but she is very bad on mic.

PlanktonSideburns

ah fair enough, didnt clock that

evilcommiedictator

QuoteI'm Not Wearing a Mask

Amber A'Lee Frost
May 14, 2020
https://damagemag.com/2020/05/14/im-not-wearing-a-mask/

Pages of meandering dribble, including:
QuoteIf there is any silver lining to this pandemic, culturally speaking, it's that it will disabuse everyone of the idea that it's "kind" to allow ourselves to be terrorized by the most pathologically anti-social scolds among us, who now smugly say, "Well the masks SAVE LIVES."

Well so does chemotherapy, and it's still incredibly unpleasant. But unlike chemotherapy, The Masks are a medical prescription to the entire population. When you walk outside, the whole world is masked. This microscopic evil hasn't merely terrorized us with illness and death, she has stolen our very faces. She has atomized us completely, and when the threat of her presence doesn't do enough to disperse crowds on its own, she enlists us to do it for her. And we have to comply with her demands, because otherwise she will kill more hostages.

I hate when the mask steals my identity and sells it to a Ukrainian crime syndicate

Dog Botherer

i wish they'd just kick her off already. that wee break she took a while back was probably the best run of the show since the early days.

Thomas

I've been really enjoying TrueAnon for a few months, but I was disappointed by episode three of their 9/11 rundown. They very quickly embraced a lot of ill-founded speculation about controlled demolition, ranging from what a self-admitted non-expert reckons things 'should look like' to factoids disproven by a quick internet search.

It does throw their analysis into mild disrepute, for me. When they discuss some point of history or politics now, I'm left wondering whether they've done solid research or just heard something from a 'truther'.

I suppose their conversational analysis only represents a 'gist' that I can either accept, reject, or research myself. But excitable chatter about squibs and steel beams - with little recourse to evidence or logic[nb]the episode is about two hours long, and whilst the notion of a World Trade Centre laced with explosives is eagerly imagined, nobody asks how or when said explosives were put in place, how this was achieved in total secrecy, and what stopped them from going off at the moment of impact. They mention traces of nanothermite apparently discovered in the rubble - but omit to mention counterveiling evidence that this 'discovery' was mistaken.[/nb] - is disappointing.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Thomas on October 08, 2020, 10:46:12 AM
I've been really enjoying TrueAnon for a few months, but I was disappointed by episode three of their 9/11 rundown. They very quickly embraced a lot of ill-founded speculation about controlled demolition, ranging from what a self-admitted non-expert reckons things 'should look like' to factoids disproven by a quick internet search.

It does throw their analysis into mild disrepute, for me. When they discuss some point of history or politics now, I'm left wondering whether they've done solid research or just heard something from a 'truther'.

I suppose their conversational analysis only represents a 'gist' that I can either accept, reject, or research myself. But excitable chatter about squibs and steel beams - with little recourse to evidence or logic[nb]the episode is about two hours long, and whilst the notion of a World Trade Centre laced with explosives is eagerly imagined, nobody asks how or when said explosives were put in place, how this was achieved in total secrecy, and what stopped them from going off at the moment of impact. They mention traces of nanothermite apparently discovered in the rubble - but omit to mention counterveiling evidence that this 'discovery' was mistaken.[/nb] - is disappointing.

it was also booooring

love trueannon, but some dullard saying internet level 911 stuff is no fun

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 08, 2020, 01:36:15 AM
https://damagemag.com/2020/05/14/im-not-wearing-a-mask/

Pages of meandering dribble, including:
I hate when the mask steals my identity and sells it to a Ukrainian crime syndicate

Best rebuttal to that is https://twitter.com/IncredibleCulk/status/1313909529805946881

Does it, aye?

The anti-Chomsky discourse on the timeline today really has me despairing about how dumb and incapable of engaging with arguments the e-left Twittersphere is.

Even when I disagree with them I think the Street Fight guys are the only remaining people in this milieu I actually like.