Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Router Throbbing Purple

Started by monkfromhavana, July 11, 2020, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Hi all, all of a sudden my router has suddenly started flashing purple. Done all tests and nothing. Spoke with BT who are sending a new hub and then an engineer in 2 weeks.

Had a thought after, if problem is with line, new hub will do fuck all. Impossible to work from home.

Anyone got any ideas to get connectiob back, or are we doomed?

ProvanFan

JesusAndYourBush

Switch it off and on again.

Sorry if that sounds trite, but the last couple of times my router played up, that's what sorted it.

ProvanFan

seepage

if you haven't done so already:

if you have a 'phone attached you can do a 'quiet line test' - dial 17070 -option 2. If there is crackling then you can report it as a line fault, don't mention broadband.

if you feel comfortable doing so, you can unplug the broadband cable from the wall, unscrew the front plate on the wall and then plug the cable into the test socket beneath to see if that makes a difference.

when I got no joy from the BT support line to solve an issue, the admins on the BT forum were helpful in escalating it: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/bd-p/BTInfinity   

buzby

Flashing purple means the hub is working OK but it's got no connection on the broadband cable. If the phone line is working (assuming it's not fibre) and all the cables are correctly plugged in, then either the port on the DSLAM in the exchange/street cabinet has gone dead or someone has moved the jumper between your line and the DSLAM line on the distribution frame in the street cabinet or exchange by mistake. Did you see any Openreach vans (or even worse, MJ Quinn) at the end of your road around the time this happened?

NoSleep

Quote from: buzby on July 14, 2020, 08:29:00 AM
Did you see any Openreach vans at the end of your road around the time this happened?

That's was the cause the last time I lost connection. The plus side was when they returned to fix what they had broken they also upgraded the wiring in my gaff so the connection improved.