Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Started by Malcy, July 12, 2020, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

There a trailer for this at last. Starts August 6th.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

Not a fan of the voice acting. Very over the top American. Be worth watching for whatever cameos there are at least.

Alberon

I dunno.

Speaking as a Trekkie I think if this wasn't Star Trek I'd be more interested in it. I'll give it a go. Of course I'll give it a go.

I still think they're missing a trick by not using animation to do new TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT episodes.

Wonderful Butternut

The cartoon ship looks more in line with pre-existing Star Trek designs than anything in Disco or Picard.

Small Man Big Horse

That actively annoyed me, I had high hopes for the show when it was first announced but it seems too wacky and silly for my liking.

Blumf

Bit too generic and The Orville has beat them to the comedy Trek spoof.

Sin Agog

When I think zany animated comedy, I think Star Trek.

JamesTC

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 12, 2020, 09:37:08 PM
Shrill

That's the word. Why does it look and sound like that? Why is all modern Trek like an unfunny spoof?

Is it working for them?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ohhh wow this looks goood! Ooh look how original, nobody's ever done anything like this before

bgmnts

Wouldn't mind exploring Troi's lower decks.

surreal

Looks like someone's been watching Final Space, but not taking enough notes.

(You should all watch Final Space if you've not seen it BTW, it's on netflix)

Ant Farm Keyboard

The showrunner and creator for this thing is the guy who had put together the "TNG Season 8" Twitter account. That's what landed him a gig on Rick and Morty. Then, the question is how much interference the project has from Paramount and Kurtzman, because that's typically the stuff that causes any comedy to turn generic and bland.

Blumf

Quote from: surreal on July 13, 2020, 08:48:47 AM
Looks like someone's been watching Final Space, but not taking enough notes.

That's a good comparison.It can be a bit irritating, always shoehorning in big (often unearned) emotional bits into each episode, but it has done some really nice world building, and the humour and character work is fine (although it takes a while to warm the main guy)

SavageHedgehog

Think I'll wait for the Nickelodeon series (is that still happening?)

JamesTC

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 13, 2020, 09:29:18 AM
The showrunner and creator for this thing is the guy who had put together the "TNG Season 8" Twitter account. That's what landed him a gig on Rick and Morty. Then, the question is how much interference the project has from Paramount and Kurtzman, because that's typically the stuff that causes any comedy to turn generic and bland.

TNG Season 8 was funny. Then it was funny again. Then it was a little less funny as it was the same joke again.

Basically a Twitter account which amounted to "The Enterprise investigates an anomaly which could destroy the universe meanwhile Geordi and Data raise puppies" has been turned into a real Star Trek show. What a vacuous husk it has become. The Star Trek equivalent of Shit my Dad Says.

If CBS could turn the Picard facepalm into a show they would.

Alberon

JesusAndYourBush

I saw the trailer yesterday.  Utterly utterly shit.

Zetetic

I've just become aware of Star Trek: Specter (and its sequels), and this seems as good a place as any to crowbar it in. I'd strongly recommend giving it two minutes of your time, even if it doesn't quite capture the feeling of TNG or DS9, it's an astonishing application of using animation to take Star Trek to new places.

Blumf

Quote from: Zetetic on July 13, 2020, 10:01:06 PM
I've just become aware of Star Trek: Specter (and its sequels)

Hah, just meant to have a quick look and 20 mins later I managed to pull myself away. Filed under watch later, thanks.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

idunnosomename

this looks like utter unfunny ass. i dont care, but i fear it may cause my favourite alcoholic, Mike Stoklasa, to die

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Alberon on July 13, 2020, 02:05:46 PM
Wish they'd let this guy run a show.

https://chiefobrienatwork.com/

I discovered that through an old Trek thread recently - marvellous stuff.

Mister Six

I dunno, I just don't really get the point. Aside from the ships it doesn't scream Star Trek, in tone or content. It just looks like a watered down Rick and Morty fitted out with bland characters and that generic shrill US animated comedy tone.

Like, why is it about the engineering and maintenance crews? Surely a proper Trek comedy would be about the people on the bridge, and parody the tropes we see in actual Trek? Or if you're doing it about redshirts, why not make it about the actual away teams, and mine some black comedy from their life expectancies?

I suppose you could say that's well-worn ground, but at least it would actually feel like a Star Trek show. And the "well-worn ground" problem highlights the "What's the point?" question even more.

Blumf

Come on, flip the pickle, Wesley, you're not gonna regret it. The payoff is huge. I turned myself into a Tribble, Wesley! Boom! Big reveal! I'm a Tribble! What do you think about that? I turned myself into a Tribble! W-w-what are you just staring at me for, bro, I turned myself into a Tribble, Wesley.

I'M A TRIBBLE! I'm Tribble Picaaaard!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2020, 07:37:19 PM
I dunno, I just don't really get the point. Aside from the ships it doesn't scream Star Trek, in tone or content. It just looks like a watered down Rick and Morty fitted out with bland characters and that generic shrill US animated comedy tone.

Like, why is it about the engineering and maintenance crews? Surely a proper Trek comedy would be about the people on the bridge, and parody the tropes we see in actual Trek? Or if you're doing it about redshirts, why not make it about the actual away teams, and mine some black comedy from their life expectancies?

I suppose you could say that's well-worn ground, but at least it would actually feel like a Star Trek show. And the "well-worn ground" problem highlights the "What's the point?" question even more.
"I think this show should be X"

*show is not X*

"This show sucks because it isn't X"

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2020, 10:00:20 PM
"I think this show should be X"

*show is not X*

"This show sucks because it isn't X"

Imagine thinking that a show in the Star Trek franchise should feel like Star Trek to watch? Whatever will people do next?

earl_sleek

It's such a fucking bollocks, subjective concept. TNG doesn't 'feel' anything like TOS to me.

Malcy

This is finally being released after years of delays. Unbelievable! Starring Snoop Dogg, Michael Madsen & 40+ Star Trek actors.

Has to be seen to be believed.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JUwb_gJEkuo

Thursday

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I saw the trailer for this and was angry on behalf of Star Trek fans.