Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Started by Malcy, July 12, 2020, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on September 22, 2021, 11:09:22 AM
Yeah it wasn't hugely funny this week, more enjoyable than funny. It's worth watching it from the start. Especially the last 3 episodes of the first series which I thought were really strong. I'm just happy to have a new Trek show that isn't miserable!

I'll drink to that!

I saw you liked the Dooplers. I almost watched that one but didn't in the end. Isn't it just Tribbles + Meseeks?

Chairman Yang

It took the cat doctor trying to say fuck before I remembered this was supposed to be a Modern Adult Cartoons. I guess on those terms this episode is a massive failure then because it was quite lighthearted and silly.

MojoJojo

Glad you didn't hate it Mobbd. I agree it's not massively funny, just light hearted cosiness.

The show has basically moved away pretty rapidly from "Lower Decks" premise, which sort of answers the stuff about juxtaposition. It is basically just a bunch of characters who get teamed up into different groups for the A/B plots. It's probably not surprising that there isn't that much mileage in the Lower Decks concept, which is why most shows only do it as a one off. But it does exist at the beginning of season one. Which is probably when the show was weakest.

As to it being childish- meh, there are some sex toy references, occasional swearing and stuff. But yeah, it could probably be retooled into a kids show pretty easily. But then you could say the same about TNG, which I watched as a child. But, meh, I'm currently watching the She-ra reboot so might not be the best person to comment.

Poobum

Really enjoyed the last episode, two good Star-Trek stories with a nice bit of silliness. Always great to have some Jeffrey Coombs as well. Definitely feel that the show is finding its feet and the characters are growing, with everything a bit dialed back, less being more. Wonder if it has more freedom to be an actual Star-Trek show because it was never expected to do anything so was left to its own devices.

MojoJojo

Yes, good episode. Like the Orville, feels like the comedy is less important than it being light hearted star trek.

Mobbd

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 25, 2021, 11:05:13 AM
Yes, good episode. Like the Orville, feels like the comedy is less important than it being light hearted star trek.

That sounds like the way forward to me. (Should have been built in at the start really but mustn't grumble).

Malcy

Enjoyed last weeks. Great to have Jeffrey Combs appearing again.

This week's episode I thought was very funny. Definitely one of my favourite episodes so far. Probably the episode I've had the best laughs from too. Been a lot of TAS references recently. Recognised the species of the drill instructor or whatever she was straight away.

Only 2 episodes left. I reckon there must be another big cameo to come. Have had a couple this time round.

mothman

Again, a great episode that managed to use, parody and celebrate Trek lore in an organic, unforced way. Impressive to get Alice Krige back
Spoiler alert
but you'd think the producers would be more joined-up and bring in the new actress playing the Borg Queen in PIC
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2021, 08:05:21 PM
Again, a great episode that managed to use, parody and celebrate Trek lore in an organic, unforced way. Impressive to get Alice Krige back
Spoiler alert
but you'd think the producers would be more joined-up and bring in the new actress playing the Borg Queen in PIC
[close]

See that's what I thought had happened and was then surprised by her appearance in the credits.

Poobum

Had a very childish laughing fit from the split second of Boimler showing off his arsehole, unexpected to say the least.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The whole concept of "naked time" (or "naked now") where people lose all their sexual inhibitions is necessarily at odds with what an essentially PG show Star Trek was, despite Gene Roddenberry's attempts at enacting his fantasies pushing the envelope. So, it's very refreshing to brutally see what it would actually be.

mothman

Yes, it's interesting that in neither the 1966 nor 1987 iteration was there much loosening of sexual inhibitions. Nurse Chapel just fancied Spock a bit more overtly. Lt. Yar did shag a robot, but she got killed off soon after so balance was restored (female sexual promiscuity must always be rewarded with death, them's the rules).

Ant Farm Keyboard

Another fine episode, that started with a gimmick, then resulted into something satisfying and a likely addition to the cast. Biggest laugh for me was Shaxs being asked about life on Bajor.

Malcy

Yeah it was great. Lots to enjoy in it. The Bird Of Prey looked great animated. Red Alarm, the credits scene, the Vulcan stuff was really good, Shaxs being Shaxs. Last one next week which is a shame.

mothman

And the Borg at the end were perfect. Plus, it's reminded me of something that I hope isn't a Mandela Effect moment - fairly sure at one point I had a Borg screensaver which gradually assimilated your desktop. The background sounds during the end credits took me right back to that.

Meanwhile, the Discovery s4 trailer has dropped, plus release date (18 November, so I guess 19 November on Netflix). Don't know if there's a thread for it already. Maybe I'll start one.

Mobbd

Quote from: mothman on October 09, 2021, 09:39:21 PMso I guess 19 November on Netflix).

When is International Men's Day?

mothman

Alberon

Really enjoyed that episode. It works best when they keep away from breaking the fourth wall. Plus I liked the music riffs from Wrath of Khan.

It made me feel like they are missing a trick in not having an animated non-comedy anthology show doing new adventures for TOS, TNG and the rest.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on October 10, 2021, 04:13:31 PM
It made me feel like they are missing a trick in not having an animated non-comedy anthology show doing new adventures for TOS, TNG and the rest.

Same here. Maybe it will eventually find the confidence to move in that direction? I would prefer something like Avatar: The Last Airbender (also a Nic Toon). Animated but not trivial. I'm trying to keep an open mind but Trek to me should only be inadvertently funny!

Alberon

Trek can do comedy episodes, see the Tribble episodes for instance, but it has to be approached differently than Lower Decks mostly does it.

Malcy

Not the big scale finale I was expecting but still good.

Took me a minute to realise who
Spoiler alert
Captain Sonya Gomez was. First seen way back in 'Q Who'
[close]
. Rutherford's implant must be a spying device for whoever is behind the story bubbling away since the start. I like that it's just building in the background and not the sole focus of the show.

The Excelsior class was a nice mash up of the various designs, Cetacean Ops finally appears and Shaxs still get's some of the best lines. "I'll kill you"!

Edit - the Archimedes is an Obena class. Just inspired by the Excelsior.

MojoJojo

Yeah, a nice little finish. The whole lower decks concept has gone completely out the window -
Spoiler alert
Tendi's been promoted to the bridge crew if I heard right
[close]

mothman

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 17, 2021, 10:23:34 AM
Yeah, a nice little finish. The whole lower decks concept has gone completely out the window -
Spoiler alert
Tendi's been promoted to the bridge crew if I heard right
[close]

Spoiler alert
Not necessarily, just "senior [?!] science officer training." And while that could involve shifts in the bridge - like Mariner and Boimler already do - they're all still ensigns and could just as likely be still found stacking hexagonal boxes or cleaning out the biofilters on the holodeck!
[close]

Poobum

Absolutely loved that episode, a proper Star-Trek dilemma solved brilliantly and believably, with good tension. Absolutely passed me by about Captain Sonya Gomez though.

mothman

It was a season of two halves, Brian. The first part was characterised by an incredibly excessive amount of references to previous Trek lore. The second, some of the best proper-Trek episodes I've seen in a long time. Long may it continue; the gag at the end where Tendi likens herself to Jadzia Dax but the cat doctor not knowing who that is, that could be sending a message that the show will now try to exist on its own merits rather than piggybacking on what came before...

Fambo Number Mive

Looking forward to Series 3.

Why do some ships wear the First Contact style uniform with the dark blue shoulders and red/yellow/blue collar, and some ships wear the new style of uniform first seen (I think) on Lower Decks?

mothman

Nobody really knows. It seems to be something about differing missions or possibly reflects internal subdivisions within Starfleet.

There are some precedents:

- The DS9 uniform being worn on DS9 and on Voyager (and Equinox), while Starfleet Command still uses the TNG uniform (Sisko even changes to it when going back there; many visitors to DS9 also still wear the TNG).
- But then you have ST: Generations where you have TNG and DS9 uniforms being worn on the Enterprise, suggesting they're transitioning from one to the other.
- On DSC, you have the blue uniforms worn everywhere (including Starfleet Command) except on the Enterprise; Pike calls the coloured ones "the new uniforms".
- But in the Short Trek showing Spock's first day on the Enterprise, they have the "new uniforms" in what appears to be a significant continuity breach.
- When the "First Contact" uniform came in, it appears to have been adopted anywhere. But there is one odd exception: two men in the TNG uniform in the background of "Tears Of The Prophets," several years after the black/grey was introduced.

Here's one of them - Martok looks really annoyed about him being there, can't blame him really...

... and here's the other. "Check out this dunce," one Romulan appears to be saying.

Alberon

I've still to watch most of the first season as I found the first couple of episodes unwatchable, but the second season has slowly dragged me in. It seems to be following the same path as The Orville dropping the sillier humour for more realistic comedy (though not as realistic as the live action comedy episodes are like).

And yeah, towards the end of the run it has started to produce proper Trek episodes. Superior to what Discovery and Picard have managed. Both of the live action shows have been badly let down with poor writing and dismal characterisation.

Fambo Number Mive

My favourite uniform is the First Contact style grey and black.

mothman