Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Started by Malcy, July 12, 2020, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: mothman on October 17, 2021, 07:54:56 PM
Nobody really knows. It seems to be something about differing missions or possibly reflects internal subdivisions within Starfleet.

I sort of took it from "Kayshon, His Eyes Open" (the one where Boimler returns to the Cerritos) that they've brought the film and tv universes together, so we have the action packed all shooty action packed "film" part of starfleet, which the Titan is part of, then the more weird stuff "no one has gone before" "tv series" part of starfleet which the Cerritos is part of. With Boimler getting cloned and one of him going the film route and the other TV series (and such cloning accidents apparently being somewhat common place) it's even suggesting how we have the same apparent characters in both film and TV series.

I've not paid enough attention to see if the uniforms clearly delineate between Star Fleet (film) an Star Fleet (TV). I hope I'm right though, I think that would be quite tidy.

(This probably works best for TNG era trek, where the feel of the films and the series were very different (e.g. action hero Picard - I can't remember TOS well enough to think whether it applies there as well).

mothman

LDS is the clearest indication yet that there is a differing mission for different parts of Starfleet. The California-class ships are meant to represent this second-tier part of the organisation that does all the scutwork, and their uniform reflects that, being a sort of enhanced TNG design when the main parts of the Fleet have upgraded to the black and grey.

Given the black and grey appears to have been superseded by the early/flashback PIC uniform - https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(mid_2380s) - by 2385, it'll be interesting to see if that appears on LDS as well.

Mister Six

I've seen a fair few posts here and there saying that LD is the closest thing to "proper" Star Trek since Voyager, so I gave it a crack and found the pilot watchable but (except for the intro sequence) not funny at all.

Does it get better, or if I'm not amused by the pilot, should I give up? Should I skip along to a particular episode/season rather than wait for it to find itself?

Mobbd

Quote from: Mister Six on July 28, 2023, 04:29:33 AMI've seen a fair few posts here and there saying that LD is the closest thing to "proper" Star Trek since Voyager, so I gave it a crack and found the pilot watchable but (except for the intro sequence) not funny at all.

Does it get better, or if I'm not amused by the pilot, should I give up? Should I skip along to a particular episode/season rather than wait for it to find itself?

Personally I can barely stand it. It's all shrieking and being zany and stupid cutaways and threats/concepts not being taken seriously. @Lemming in the SNW thread said they couldn't quite get into it either.

Some people really like it though, as you say. I do wonder if I have to try it again and try harder to accept the aesthetic or something. Jack Quaid seems like a charming guy at least.

Mr Trumpet

It's watchable but not very funny, and it doesn't move the Trek universe in an interesting direction. As someone who likes the newer shows I think it's the least interesting of the lot (haven't seen Prodigy, to be fair).