Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comet Neowise [split topic]

Started by Twonty Gostelow, July 11, 2020, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

We have a visitor to cheer us up - Comet Neowise.
Anyone here seen it yet? https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/comet-neowise-blazes-trail-over-4317556

Most visible comet since Hale-Bopp, although it won't be as high. I'll try to get a view of it this weekend while the skies are clear, although it looks like it'll be around for a couple of weeks. Excited.

Uncle TechTip

Saw the comet, around 4am very low in the north. I needed binoculars to find it but it was glorious. Once found it can be seen with the naked eye. Look for a fuzzy star, but get the bins to check the tail. Best seen in twilight, evening or morning.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 12, 2020, 11:23:27 AM
Saw the comet, around 4am very low in the north. I needed binoculars to find it but it was glorious. Once found it can be seen with the naked eye. Look for a fuzzy star, but get the bins to check the tail. Best seen in twilight, evening or morning.

My view to the NE is obstructed but I'm going to look for a vantage point tonight. My mate took these pics last night.

idunnosomename

WHERE IS MY SUPERNOVA. FUCKS SAKE WE'VE BEEN DUE ONE SINCE WE INVENTED THE TELESCOPE

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I honestly thought this was about Comet returning to the retail sector, possibly with an exclusively online store called Neowise. Turns out it's just some rock.

hamfist

I took this pic of it last night near York. Mad that is has an orbital period of 6700 years. Last time it dropped by, people were just getting into domesticating chickens and horses. What will we be doing next time ?

Twonty Gostelow

That's a great pic, thanks. I still haven't seen it, but at least it's not on the BBC News front page yet.

Thomas

Pissed off that it's so cloudy here. Bet it'll be lovely and clear in 6,800 years.

idunnosomename

Quote from: hamfist on July 12, 2020, 10:07:45 PM

I took this pic of it last night near York. Mad that is has an orbital period of 6700 years. Last time it dropped by, people were just getting into domesticating chickens and horses. What will we be doing next time ?
the same if we're lucky

BlodwynPig

any tips as to how to spot it, might have a look tonight, thank you

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat will we be doing next time

Space anal

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Fucking hell there's ten of them now!

Norton Canes

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 12, 2020, 09:16:28 PM
WHERE IS MY SUPERNOVA. FUCKS SAKE WE'VE BEEN DUE ONE SINCE WE INVENTED THE TELESCOPE

What are the chances?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53415294

Puce Moment

When I see those comets hurtling towards Earth my panspermia tendencies really do come out.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 15, 2020, 06:14:47 PM
When I see those comets hurtling towards Earth my panspermia tendencies really do come out.

That's why I keep a comet rag in the bedside drawer

idunnosomename

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 15, 2020, 05:49:00 PM
What are the chances?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53415294
well really I mean a star in the immediate neighbourhood going. if betelgeuse in orion collapsed and went supernova it would be as bright as a half moon, as hard as that is to imagine

Thomas

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 15, 2020, 08:39:46 PM
well really I mean a star in the immediate neighbourhood going. if betelgeuse in orion collapsed and went supernova it would be as bright as a half moon, as hard as that is to imagine

I'm really hoping that star blew up at just the right moment to be visible in my lifetime.

Scientists are always saying 'we could see it any time in the next 100,000 years!' Yeah, well, you scientists might live that long, but us shitmunchers don't have quite so much to go on.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't wish to shock you, but Beetlejuice is 700 light years away, so it's possible that it's already gone supernova, but the light from that event has yet to reach us.

idunnosomename

ah but what does "now" really mean if information can only move at the speed of light

Captain Z

We should just send a probe there now to see if it has blown up yet, and if not we know can take our eyes off it for 700 years or so.

Thomas

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 15, 2020, 08:49:56 PM
I don't wish to shock you, but Beetlejuice is 700 light years away, so it's possible that it's already gone supernova, but the light from that event has yet to reach us.

Exactly. I hope it blew up precisely 642 years and six months ago - today. Well, not actually today, since it's still cloudy. Next week. I want to see the whole thing, the full flare up.

idunnosomename

its funny that there were like half a dozen supernovas - some bright enough to be seen in the day - independently recorded in Europe and Asia from 1000 to the early 17th century. then galileo invents the telescope and we havent had any! typical.

Uncle TechTip

Probably only two - Crab Nebula and one recorded in Cambridge or somewhere 1700s - the rest were comets or really big meteors.