Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Minton

Started by Hand Solo, July 13, 2020, 12:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: Tikwid on August 02, 2020, 08:19:53 PM
I won't wade into the debate about whether they're technically music or not but I'll say seeing the likes of this performed live would be nothing short of invigorating

OH. MY. GOD.

holyzombiejesus

I won't wade into the debate about whether they're technically music or not but I'll say seeing the likes of this performed live would be nothing short of invigorating

First meeting of the tory cabinet.

non capisco

They threw in a bit of Donald Duck for all you mainstream normies, what more do you want?

Hand Solo

Quote from: non capisco on August 02, 2020, 08:58:55 PM
They threw in a bit of Donald Duck for all you mainstream normies, what more do you want?

Donald Duck is so hack, I was expecting something more off-beat like this.

non capisco

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 02, 2020, 09:02:39 PM
Donald Duck is so hack, I was expecting something more off-beat like this.

Right at the end Phil should have said "DON'T YOU BELIIIIIIIEEEEEEVE IT!" in a weird echoey voice.

Hand Solo

Quote from: non capisco on August 02, 2020, 09:05:42 PM
Right at the end Phil should have said "DON'T YOU BELIIIIIIIEEEEEEVE IT!" in a weird echoey voice.

That was literally the first joke that occurred to me, then I went with Tom's yell like a klutz. I BELIEVE that was meant to be a reference to an old weekly American Radio segment debunking scams, they'd end the report with DON'T YOU BELIEEEEVE IIIIT! A topical reference that now just looks out of place.

I can imagine Stewart Lee defending that Skatgobs performance to the hilt as proper music that has a place and an audience and should be taken seriously, but he'd secretly only like it because it's funny.

seeing the likes of this performed live would be nothing short of utter dogshit invigorating

I'm joking of course...

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2020, 01:58:18 PM
sounds like me takin a dump the morning after my mate Boner's stag

Still laughing at this.

Captain Z

Uploader:

QuoteToilet N Bowels
No subscribers

PaulTMA

Surprised this thread's gone by without a mention of Skatgobs, a vocal trio consisting of Minton and two other likevoiced individuals, who've played at the likes of Stewart Lee's All Tomorrow's Parties. I won't wade into the debate about whether they're technically music or not but I'll say seeing the likes of this performed live would be nothing short of invigorating

This is awesome, bit coviddy though.  The seven days of primal therapy I did in 2013 were nowhere near as much of a laugh as this appears.  Probably would have done me some actual good, too.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Chriddof

I really liked this! As I said before I do have problems with vocal improv, but there's something about a group of people doing this that works, as opposed to someone on their own. I should have remembered this earlier in this thread, but I always liked these guys. It's not improv and is more along the lines of an actual composed thing, but this slayed them back at The Comic Strip in the early 80s. (Kind of.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ without clicking onto that link, would that be Furious Pig on there?  When I first met someone on a teaching course who went on to become one of my top pals many, many years ago, one of the first things we bonded  over was our memories of listening to John Peel in our formative years; and one of our favourite memories was of a Peel session by, indeed, Furious Pig. We both even rembered the comment that John Peel made after playing one of their tracks- " It's not 12 nights at Earl's Court, is it? But I don't think that's really what they want.". Indeed, " It's not 12 nights at Earl Court" in itself became a birrova catchphrase between my pal and I. If that link doesnae actually lead to Furious Pig, I'll look like a right cunt, but I bet it does, going to check it in a minute.

Suggested other thing to link to: that clip of Bob Fleming from " The Fast Show"  and all his mates having a sing song.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 03, 2020, 08:37:11 AM
Suggested other thing to link to: that clip of Bob Fleming from " The Fast Show"  and all his mates having a sing song.

Let's be honest - if any of this turned up on Jazz Club, we wouldn't bat an eyelid would we.

wosl

Phil's work is done with "flesh and muscle shaking about"; he "never uses phlegm or mucus" (although his fellow Skatgobber, Dylan Nyoukis, has done work which suggests that, for him, a usage of the latter isn't necessarily that far away).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Howay man it's Phil Minton like

ProvanFan

Debbie became concerned towards the end of 1991 that Jemma's new boyfriend Phil Minton wasn't all he seemed. Debbie's fears were confirmed after she spotted Phil Minton sabotage Speedy's bike in order to fix the race to ensure he made maxium winnings off Marcus who was running a book on the outcome of the race. Phil Minton, playing on Debbie's overactive imagination, swore her to silence on threat of putting a curse on her!

GoblinAhFuckScary

A great gaggle o' gonks

Sin Agog

Quote from: Chriddof on August 03, 2020, 02:14:52 AM
I really liked this! As I said before I do have problems with vocal improv, but there's something about a group of people doing this that works, as opposed to someone on their own. I should have remembered this earlier in this thread, but I always liked these guys. It's not improv and is more along the lines of an actual composed thing, but this slayed them back at The Comic Strip in the early 80s. (Kind of.)

Sounds eerily similar to Inuit throat singing: https://youtu.be/a_WWbJo_1mc?t=1468

Cuellar

Tell you what if Minton ever plays round my way I'm 100% going thanks to this thread.

wosl

Quote from: Cuellar on August 04, 2020, 07:57:20 PMif Minton ever plays round my way I'm 100% going thanks to this thread.

I think you should aim to stay and attend the gig instead.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Legit do go? I've seen him on 5-6 separate occasions and it's great. There's no wrong way to enjoy it and there's always genuine humour involved in him and the audience. Plays London places like Oto a fair bit

non capisco

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 04, 2020, 09:31:14 PM
Plays London places like Oto a fair bit

Thought he'd be an Oto act. I'd go. Mini meet for the CaB Phil Minton hardcore! Hurry up with that vaccine, boffins!

No disrespect to Phil Minton but I'd honestly consider going to see a Rednex tribute band that didn't even play Cotton Eyed Joe at the moment. I miss live music so fucking much.

Cuellar

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 04, 2020, 09:31:14 PM
Legit do go? I've seen him on 5-6 separate occasions and it's great. There's no wrong way to enjoy it and there's always genuine humour involved in him and the audience. Plays London places like Oto a fair bit

Totally genuine post, definitely going to go if I can.

wosl

To past gig-goers: can you sense when Phil is having an 'off' night? Can you tell a great Minton performance from a so-so one?  Clearly one (one!) of the things he's trying to do is alter or bypass the expectations of performers and listeners, and the traditional idea of working towards a goal; its a 'journey with no destination' sort of thing, but it's hard to avoid having positive or negative feelings about the journeys we make.

ASFTSN

I've never seen Phil Minton live, but I remember the first time I saw some free improv music at Cafe Oto and was 100% sure that this particular performance was not good rather than me just not getting it. (This was after long since having lost count of the amount of free improv sets of various artists I'd seen there). Felt like levelling up.

From what I remember it felt like the performers didn't have faith in exploring any of the sonic ideas they were coming up with. There didn't seem to be any give or take or interaction between them.

Hand Solo

Quote from: ASFTSN on August 05, 2020, 09:21:24 PM
I've never seen Phil Minton live, but I remember the first time I saw some free improv music at Cafe Oto and was 100% sure that this particular performance was not good rather than me just not getting it. (This was after long since having lost count of the amount of free improv sets of various artists I'd seen there). Felt like levelling up.

From what I remember it felt like the performers didn't have faith in exploring any of the sonic ideas they were coming up with. There didn't seem to be any give or take or interaction between them.

sardines

Quote from: wosl on August 05, 2020, 04:52:17 PM
To past gig-goers: can you sense when Phil is having an 'off' night?
Sorry I don't get this comment. I've seen any number of live shows including Minton where I've felt a disconnect between audience and performer. Part of the problem with this dialogue is that people are assuming Minton is aiming to confuse his audience. Again it is worth pointing out that within his community he is old hat. 30 years on. That someone discovers him in 2020 and calls him a cunt is your problem not his.