Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Washington ******** to change name, NFL

Started by Gulftastic, July 13, 2020, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

The news that Washington have finally listened to people their big money backers telling them not be racists and are changing their team name seems a good as point as anywhere to start this thread for the forthcoming season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53390944

About filling time. Ridiculous that it lasted this long.

Seems like there's still an outside chance they do something hilariously inept like announce that the new name is the "Washington Apache"

bgmnts

The Washington Sex Pests.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 13, 2020, 04:41:53 PM
The news that Washington have finally listened to people their big money backers telling them not be racists and are changing their team name seems a good as point as anywhere to start this thread for the forthcoming season.

I think there's already a thread

Gulftastic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is odd how they are happy for whole Franchises to move to new cities or just plain burn them if they aren't commercially viable despite whatever goodwill and fanbase they may have fostered, yet still play the tradition card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s

Amazing that this place stayed open as Sambo's until this year!

To complete the cycle, the chain's original fucking owner moved a basketball franchise (referencing Jazz) to another state (with comparatively little to do with Jazz)

Marner and Me

The US Sports leagues are just focussed on dollar. I have an American email pal. I told him how at Chester FC the fans own the club and he couldn't fathom it.

DrGreggles

I was about 9 when the NFL first become 'big' in the UK, and they were always called the Washington Foreskins by everyone at school*, so I fail to see why they don't just formally adopt that.

*hilarious

Old Thrashbarg

It does seem a bit odd that Riverboat Ron is involved in deciding the new name. He's obviously, to a large extent, the face of the team currently. But the Head Coach is also often the first person leave the team when things don't go well. Maybe it's so he can try to move the discussion away from whatever horrific suggestions Snyder comes up with.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 13, 2020, 07:52:49 PM
It is odd how they are happy for whole Franchises to move to new cities or just plain burn them if they aren't commercially viable despite whatever goodwill and fanbase they may have fostered, yet still play the tradition card.
This is the critical part. There aren't a lot of "traditions" in US sport that they wouldn't change in a heartbeat if they could make 0.1% more cash.

The Atlanta Braves (based balls) still have lots of fans that do the "tomahawk chop", which not only is about 200 times more annoying than the vuvuzela, but also isn't exactly loved by Native American sports fans. https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-name-chop-are-complex-and-personal-issues-for-native-americans/IcoUJUcvhpmcVr54PkNBmL/

Poobum

Quote from: Marner and Me on July 13, 2020, 08:05:11 PM
The US Sports leagues are just focussed on dollar. I have an American email pal. I told him how at Chester FC the fans own the club and he couldn't fathom it.

Strange, considering the Packers are a fan owned team. You have an ignorant friend I think, break contact, or kill.

Deanjam

This name change inspired me to look into racist names in US sports and I found a couple of corkers.

The Coachella Valley High School teams are called the Arabs.

There was once a team called the Atlanta Black Crackers.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 13, 2020, 08:29:38 PM
Exeter Chiefs next

Their name is going nowhere although their despicable racist mascot and badge are imminently at risk of being retired. I wouldn't mind because he's not getting as much work these days if they roped in Barney The Dinosaur as official club mascot.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Deanjam on July 13, 2020, 09:17:54 PM
The Coachella Valley High School teams are called the Arabs.

Is Arab considered as a racist term?  I thought it was okay - Arab State, Arab Spring, Arab Nation, etc etc.  Or is it the cultural appropriation you mean?  (I don't really know anything about or understand sport)

Deanjam

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 13, 2020, 09:31:51 PM
Or is it the cultural appropriation you mean?  (I don't really know anything about or understand sport)

Essentially.

JesusAndYourBush

There was a thing going around on facebook saying the Washington Redskins logo was designed by a Native American man and that his son is proud of the logo.  Was that a fabricated lie then?

Quote from: Deanjam on July 13, 2020, 09:17:54 PM

Coachella is a real place?  Ha, I'd assumed the festival was so-called because people might travel there on a coach.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 14, 2020, 12:37:52 AM
There was a thing going around on facebook saying the Washington Redskins logo was designed by a Native American man and that his son is proud of the logo.  Was that a fabricated lie then?

Coachella is a real place?  Ha, I'd assumed the festival was so-called because people might travel there on a coach.

Americans don't call them coaches. They call them Grisham Fuckbuses.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 14, 2020, 12:37:52 AM

5 seconds on Google reveals:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/nfl/redskins/washington-redskins-name-change-bittersweet-for-family-of-logo-creator/65-bf85b9b8-fa48-48dc-a3d2-3f03326cc338

This argument - "this one native person likes it" - is akin to saying "my black friend loves it when I tell racist jokes".

Poobum

And considering the cultural and linguistic diversity among first nations, "Native American" is a bit of a redundant term.

Dog Botherer

Exeter Chiefs to bin racist mascot, keep racist branding that aforementioned racist mascot is based on.

seems like a move designed to piss absolutely everyone off.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 13, 2020, 07:52:49 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s

Amazing that this place stayed open as Sambo's until this year!

To complete the cycle, the chain's original fucking owner moved a basketball franchise (referencing Jazz) to another state (with comparatively little to do with Jazz)

There's also the Soviet martial art which they've been trying to get in the Olympics

QuoteAlthough sambo is a Russian acronym, exponents of the sport in the English-speaking world have faced problems concerning the linguistically unrelated racist term. Sambo representatives have opted to use the alternative spelling Sombo to avoid offence.[47] In Swedish, "sambo" is the term for an unmarried couple living together on permanent basis.