Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fuck is KAREN?

Started by Replies From View, July 14, 2020, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Who the fuck is KAREN and why is she continually being announced in my YouTube recommendations?

In the latest one, big capital letters are telling me that KAREN doesn't like COVID masks.  Oh no!  KAREN - whoever she is - has another moronic opinion.  And it's always KAREN, never one of the other millions of stupid people out there.  YouTube thinks it's KAREN's latest exploits I need to be keeping abreast of.

Is anyone else getting this?  Or have I clicked on something that has fucked up my YouTube recommendations forever?  I haven't watched a single one of these KAREN videos so why does it think I will be fascinated by them?

Chedney Honks

Go through your history and delete anything relevant. That will clear it up.

I never understand people talking about the algorithms and stuff because I never ever ever ever ever get recommended anything I don't have an interest in. Seems like a lot of people here are probably secretly well into the far right.

Sin Agog

For twenty-four years I've been living next door to Karen.

Kelvin

I think it's a lefty diss of a certain type of centrist woman, isn't it? A bit like Gammon.

I assume you've watched left wing content, which is why it's popping up.

Tony Tony Tony

For some reason the name Karen seems to have be lighted upon to represent any shouty white middle class usually middle American female.

Found this explanation in an article in Time magazine

QuoteKarens a slang term for middle-aged white women (which seems to have stemmed from the popular Can I speak to a manager? meme,) who have become infamous online for their shameless displays of entitlement, privilege, and racism and their tendency to call the police when they dont get what they want.

And a useful wikipedia entry here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)

Replies From View

Ah, this makes sense now.  Cheers.

I suppose I could have googled it but it never occurred to me that KAREN was anything other than a specific person's name.

chveik

cue the 'karen is a slur' brigade

Buelligan

She had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong hills.  Hth.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: chveik on July 14, 2020, 04:58:15 PM
cue the 'karen is a slur' brigade

Surprised to see you using that word! 😲

Edit: Sorry, I thought you said 'slut'

Barry Admin

There's a really good cartoon I saw when the Amy Cooper dog walking thing went viral, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Oh I finally did!

Cloud

There are of course a lot of Karens now shouting that it's a bit misogynist.  Dunno (plenty of Darrens out there) but I do feel sorry for anyone called Karen at the moment especially in schools.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ha look at Karen asking about what is Karen. Your are Karen mate. Hah. Your are Karen.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 05:18:02 PM
There are of course a lot of Karens now shouting that it's a bit misogynist.  Dunno (plenty of Darrens out there) but I do feel sorry for anyone called Karen at the moment especially in schools.

They need to add another R to their stupid name or accept that they're part of the problem.

Could be wrong, but I don't imagine this has spread into the playground.  Unless they're parroting some fanatic relative, kids generally don't tend to get racism.

chveik

yeah and I doubt kids are into twitter.

tao of wub

I think it started as a meme about entitled white american women with a very particular haircut, know as the 'I want to speak to the manager cut', who abuse the 'customer is always right' ethos of US stores for their own financial advantage.

Generally it was spread by the store clerks who had to deal with them.

Since then it has spread to cover a much broader range of entitlement from white women.  Like many memes it will eventually get diluted into insignificance.

The haircut that began it all.  Coincidentally my neighbour looks like this.  Also coincidentally she is a nightmare person.

Sin Agog

Are all Karens WASPs, or are all WASPs Karens?

bgmnts

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Martin Lewis gets his fucking fill of Karens I bet. Look at the confected audience loitering around in one of his ghastly television programmes. All ^ people like that above who would happily ruin their entire year over The Principle. They look in awe of their orange totem, as he sways from one set piece to the next.

Cloud

It's in internet meme - I'd be highly surprised if it's not in the playground!

Sin Agog

"Pinch, Punch, First World Problems of the Month"

Johnny Yesno

imitationleather

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 14, 2020, 06:05:10 PM
your mum

I do genuinely worry that my mum behaves like that in restaurants, as it happens.

Puce Moment

Quote from: tao of wub on July 14, 2020, 05:25:40 PMGenerally it was spread by the store clerks who had to deal with them.

Working-class origins! Get in!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on July 14, 2020, 06:07:01 PM
I do genuinely worry that my mum behaves like that in restaurants, as it happens.

'I want to shag your manager' doesn't count.

They really need to retire this "Karen" meme. The definitive Karen is Raiders of the Lost Ark era Karen Allen. Is Karen Allen going to call the cops on a black person? Not a chance!

It should be "Becky" instead. Sir Mix-A-Lot tried to point us in the right direction 28 years ago.

Replies From View

It should be a name that can only apply to posh fuckos, like "Deidre" or something.

Nobody called "Deidre" has ever known a working class person in real life.

PlanktonSideburns

whats wrong with just calling someone a fucking moron i say

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on July 14, 2020, 10:44:25 PM
It should be a name that can only apply to posh fuckos, like "Deidre" or something.

Nobody called "Deidre" has ever known a working class person in real life.

Deidre Barlow?

Deidre is the name of you gran's hairdresser.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 14, 2020, 11:11:15 PM
whats wrong with just calling someone a fucking moron i say

Some people would argue that terms like 'moron' (and idiot, imbecile etc) are just as offensive as 'retard' when been used as an insult. I used to read a football forum where someone always reacted to 'cretin' like it was the N word, I assume because they had a family member with cretinism. Personally, I think he was being a bit of a div.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 14, 2020, 06:18:44 PM
It should be "Becky" instead. Sir Mix-A-Lot tried to point us in the right direction 28 years ago.

Becky is a young Karen