Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fuck is KAREN?

Started by Replies From View, July 14, 2020, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I watched an airport programme a while ago which featured a Karen giving the staff an earful and declaring "thank God I'm not middle class" when she was able to buy her way through. I think a lot of American Karens/male equivalent (Frank? Todd? Kevin?) would generally call themselves "new money" or even "upper class", middle class doesn't have the bourgeoisie, affluent connotations it has here, it just means the average working person.

Replies From View

I'm going to guess this person is a KAREN, although she isn't labelled as such in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbehu5WaDo

The Rational National is good; I like him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Karen kind appear almost blinded by the levels of privilege they've accrued through the social progress and inherited wealth in the last century (it isn't uniform, admittedly. Glass ceiling, rape culture etc still applies. They aren't at the top of the heap but they have some pretty good fertile plots on the foothills) that they can't place their position into true context.

Being a nouveau riche 30-50 something (being v generalised) white woman from the developed world is next one along - albeit by some way behind - to being a white man.

Most of us white men can see the clear unfair advantages we enjoy as white men. Even if we aren't doing well economically there are all sorts of casual social ways life is designed around our needs through vestigial commercial trends. The view from the top is pretty clear. Time for those whose behaviour gets depicted as Karen to take a minute to stew on their own relatively huge privilege, perhaps develop a more sophisticated view that still tackles patriachal society but also takes time effort and money to acknowledge those they have a huge advantage over and adjust their mindset. That being a good majority of the globe.

I reckon Suzanne Moore and JK Rowling might just continue their fine works, however.

Thursday

It's a bit crap, but also all the worst Hadley Freeman's of the world get upset by it, which almost justifies it.

Even so there's better ways of expressing the same idea that it's intended to get across.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 15, 2020, 03:26:23 PM
Typical Karen, calling the cops on the entire fucking planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXUnGa3-mY

At least that's a Karen who's heavily engaged in BLM. As well as NRX.

Brundle-Fly

What I find a bit tedious with most of these pigeon-hole terms, memes and buzzwords is that they're all almost exclusively American. It's not cool, man!

Quote from: crankshaft on July 15, 2020, 12:15:41 PM
You spell it DEIRDRE.
And it's pronounced "deer-dra" you English bastards.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 15, 2020, 07:43:34 PM

Newcastle's Toy Dolls would beg to differ. "dee-dree"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tR3sD2XfKo

They would say it like that, the English bastards.

PlanktonSideburns

Every Keith I've met has been great

Kryton

Pronounced Hoi-dreux.

zomgmouse

magval

More commonly pronounced deer-dree among the few I've known in Northern Ireland, and all miles removed from middle class.

But let's stop putting people into fucking boxes.

The Bumlord

Quote from: magval on July 16, 2020, 06:30:36 AM

But let's stop putting people into fucking boxes.

Typical anti-undertaker rhetoric

Jockice

I once copped off with a lass called Deirdre on a trip to Dublin in the mid-90s. Just thought you'd like to know.

salr

In a way, isn't there a little Karen inaside all of us?

really makes you thnik

Johnny Yesno

petril

Quote from: Utterdrivel on July 16, 2020, 08:43:46 AM
Typical anti-undertaker rhetoric

1998 called and wants magval to stop being a shit retreat of Paul Bearer. on top of the usual X-Pac moaning

tao of wub

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 15, 2020, 11:54:50 PM
Every Keith I've met has been great

Kool Keith stands up for great Keiths everywhere. 

Johnny Yesno

I know. There's Keith LeBlanc too. I've fucked it, haven't I?

Sebastian Cobb

[tag]Smokey considers re-write[/tag]

magval

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 18, 2020, 12:43:57 PM
1998 called and wants magval to stop being a shit retreat of Paul Bearer. on top of the usual X-Pac moaning

Translate this before I respond to it will ye

bgmnts

If you want the textbook definition of a Karen for me, it would be the sister of Kathleen Peterson in The Staircase documentary; looks the part to a tee, full of hatred and anger, needs to lash out at others. Definitely the type to walk up to someone she doesnt like and spit at them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2020, 07:23:48 PM
If you want the textbook definition of a Karen for me, it would be the sister of Kathleen Peterson in The Staircase documentary; looks the part to a tee, full of hatred and anger, needs to lash out at others. Definitely the type to walk up to someone she doesnt like and spit at them.

she'd be justified.

Head Gardener

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 15, 2020, 01:39:31 PM
Who is she?  Her twitter has been deleted and she's not notable enough to have a page on wiki.
just some cretinous karen i think

MY FAV IS THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO BECAUSE GOOD TUNES AND I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

Gregory Torso

Quote from: magval on July 18, 2020, 02:02:35 PM
Translate this before I respond to it will ye

I think it's a wrasslin joke.