Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fuck is KAREN?

Started by Replies From View, July 14, 2020, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I saw this screengrab today which raised a wry smile.

But as it happens they are in fact taking it seriously.

https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/1290234072602521600

Broadly agree that it's been eroded into shorthand for bitch or whatever, but the po-faced attempt to understand it on This Morning is pretty lol.

Icehaven

This went well
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/dominos-karen-pizza-new-zealand-backlash-a4512181.html%3famp

Not a Dominos fan at all, they're overpriced as fuck, but I think they've been rather misunderstood here. They were trying to give free pizza to women who just happen to be called Karen (in a reclaim-the-name sort of way) not to 'Karens' (as if they'd be self recognised anyway), so the accusations that they're rewarding entitlement and rudeness are a little unwarranted. Still crap pizza though.

Anyway, ladies and gents, have you noticed that thing about people called "Karen"? Have you noticed, ladies and gents?!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on August 03, 2020, 04:32:19 PM
Anyway, ladies and gents, have you noticed that thing about people called "Karen"? Have you noticed, ladies and gents?!

I have noticed that thing, yes, and that's the reason I wouldn't select them for a job interview if there was another candidate with any other name, and that includes Spot, My Mum, Please Stop Me From Killing Again, and Adolph Nambla Paedophile III.

Johnny Yesno

Video of the representative of the Karen community on This Morning here: https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1290243155137368066

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 03, 2020, 05:14:29 PM
I have noticed that thing, yes, and that's the reason I wouldn't select them for a job interview if there was another candidate with any other name, and that includes Spot, My Mum, Please Stop Me From Killing Again, and Adolph Nambla Paedophile III.

Indeed, you can never trust a man with that many commas in his name.

wooders1978

I first came across "Karen" when my cousin, who works in a bar, advised me he'd spent the night serving ladies named Karen - I just thought "What are the chances of that?"

Icehaven

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 03, 2020, 05:14:29 PM
Video of the representative of the Karen community on This Morning here: https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1290243155137368066

I read about 10 of those posts and that's the longest I've ever spent on Twitter, and Jesus how does anyone go on there for any longer and not hammer themselves to death?

Bence Fekete

I like to mitigate the anxiety by trolling stoic accounts.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: madhair60 on July 15, 2020, 10:44:56 AM
Yes, one that happens to be an innocuous name generally associated with women, which is currently used to mock them for what are thankfully so far valid reasons. But that will definitely change unfortunately.

This video (which TW is very disturbing) was uploaded before you made this post, but you were spot on. It has 11 Million views and 80 thousand retweets(!) and opinions in the replies are divided but there are thousands of people defending it, and this kind of treatment of women because they're "Karens".  Karen was and possibly is a very useful word to take down a very particular kind of bully, but it quickly became used to justify abuse of, and violence towards women.

Sorry for the bump but I thought this thread was an interesting read and I wanted to but forth a different view to the general attitude on it.

chveik

five months already. only the uncool kids are saying it now

Menu

canadagoose

Quote from: Junket Pumper on December 29, 2020, 12:40:22 AM
This video (which TW is very disturbing) was uploaded before you made this post, but you were spot on. It has 11 Million views and 80 thousand retweets(!) and opinions in the replies are divided but there are thousands of people defending it, and this kind of treatment of women because they're "Karens".  Karen was and possibly is a very useful word to take down a very particular kind of bully, but it quickly became used to justify abuse of, and violence towards women.

Sorry for the bump but I thought this thread was an interesting read and I wanted to but forth a different view to the general attitude on it.
That woman in the video was  being a bully and is just playing the victim in the video. This happens.

Menu

Quote from: Bence Fekete on July 18, 2020, 02:17:38 PM
Karens Gone Wild

None of them look particularly well-off to me. Anyway I think this is another one of those American cultural imperialism things, like 'taking a knee'. Not everything that happens in America has read-across to over here. I guess that's why we're finding it hard to define what a Karen is for the UK.

(I think it's probably sexist anyway)

Junket Pumper

Quote from: canadagoose on December 29, 2020, 01:16:52 AM
That woman in the video was  being a bully and is just playing the victim in the video. This happens.

Of course it does, but I don't believe it was the case here. She looks and sounds genuinely distressed and the guy apparently had a history of harassment and I think his claim she called him the N-word was made up, because he only brought it up after people started challenging him (though the be clear if there was evidence for this I'd be on your side and say she deserved to be exposed) What makes you believe that she was bullying him first?

Remember the video starts with her crying and begging to be left alone. What had happened immediately before that to put her in that state?

I just found the Full video. When was she being a bully?

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Bence Fekete on July 18, 2020, 02:17:38 PM
Karens Gone Wild

It is satisfying as hell to see a bully being dragged, but God a lot of them just look unwell. You can't make a diagnosis from a video, and of course I'm not a psychologist so I couldn't make a diagnosis anywhere, but sometimes I think it's not worth the risk that they actually are mentally ill and they need help rather than abuse online + doxing

BlodwynPig

Present your evidence. (Don't say you are wrong, but...)

Bernice

People baying in the comments for news she's been fired. Burn the Karen. Burn the unclean.

Zetetic

A lot, apparently, to this bloke in particular:
https://www.queerty.com/gay-black-man-behind-viral-karen-video-history-filming-women-accusing-racism-20200625

(I vaguely remember when this first came to prominence.)

Bernice

Can't wait til one of these alleged Kare's offs themself and then we all get to hound the guy who filmed her out of his job. Tumescent at the thought of the opinion pieces alone.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Too bad nobody gave him something to really cry about. Imagine following a woman home and plastering her car registration all over the internet because she flipped you off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: icehaven on August 03, 2020, 06:54:21 PM
I read about 10 of those posts and that's the longest I've ever spent on Twitter, and Jesus how does anyone go on there for any longer and not hammer themselves to death?

I have to constantly block, mute, gatekeep and farm the shit out of my Twitter account and all I follow is in relation to my bar guide, nothing more. I actively avoid anything non-pertinent. Pubs, bars, drinks, travel, a bit of history and literature.

It's still plagued with shit. Petty arguing over the most facile things imaginable (eg. someone loudly objecting to being invited to donate £1 for a good cause and in the least pressurising way possible, someone objecting to recommending a bar because an ex-owner had been a cunt about gay pride), retweets of cancerous public figures, no matter how you try to bend it to your whim, it's like a boiling pot filled with shit and nothing you do can stop the effluent bubbling over the lid.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 29, 2020, 10:16:02 AM
Too bad nobody gave him something to really cry about. Imagine following a woman home and plastering her car registration all over the internet because she flipped you off.

Wasn't it because she flipped him off AND called him the 'n' word?
Not sure why he's in the wrong in this instance if he's calling her out for being racist.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 11:18:38 AM
Wasn't it because she flipped him off AND called him the 'n' word?
Not sure why he's in the wrong in this instance if he's calling her out for being racist.
1) There's no evidence she called him a racial slur
2) He has form for accusing women of calling him a racial slur in the past with no evidence
3) He's given several statements on this particular incident and none of them add up
4) Even if she had flipped him off and called him a n****rf****t, that's still no reason to follow her home and start yelling and recording her and broadcasting her registration and address to the Internet to rain vigilante justice on her over nasty words
5) What he did was actually really stupid and put himself in danger. Anybody could have called the police and told them that a black man was bellowing at a cowering white woman while aiming something at her.

BlodwynPig

JaDanketies

I saw people on Reddit of all places - yesterday - saying that the word Karen has now been devalued, no longer has teeth, and is just a
misogynistic slur. So there ya go. I think the slang term will be dead within 24 months.

On the subject of the hysterical woman in the bump video and whether or not she said the n word and therefore deserves to get followed home by a man and have her license plate and address put on the internet, did you see the girl who said "I can drive n*gger" in a three-second video when she was 15, only to have a stranger release the video three years later because she expressed support for BLM, resulting in her going viral, getting chucked out of college, and having her name forever tarnished? Serves her right, Karen

DrGreggles

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 29, 2020, 11:30:17 AM
1) There's no evidence she called him a racial slur
2) He has form for accusing women of calling him a racial slur in the past with no evidence
3) He's given several statements on this particular incident and none of them add up
4) Even if she had flipped him off and called him a n****rf****t, that's still no reason to follow her home and start yelling and recording her and broadcasting her registration and address to the Internet to rain vigilante justice on her over nasty words
5) What he did was actually really stupid and put himself in danger. Anybody could have called the police and told them that a black man was bellowing at a cowering white woman while aiming something at her.

She didn't deny saying it, which would be the natural reaction to being falsely accused of something, so why is it so questionable that she might have said it?
And, if she did, why not call her out for her racism?

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 29, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
On the subject of the hysterical woman in the bump video and whether or not she said the n word and therefore deserves to get followed home by a man and have her license plate and address put on the internet, did you see the girl who said "I can drive n*gger" in a three-second video when she was 15, only to have a stranger release the video three years later because she expressed support for BLM, resulting in her going viral, getting chucked out of college, and having her name forever tarnished? Serves her right, Karen
Imagine thinking a teenager could mature and change as they got older.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 11:50:56 AM
She didn't deny saying it, which would be the natural reaction to being falsely accused of something, so why is it so questionable that she might have said it?
She's clearly terrified because someone followed her home and is screaming at her and filming her. She also says "You're going to make me into something I'm not". If someone doesn't react the way you expect, does that make them guilty of something? If someone doesn't say "no", does that mean they wanted it?

QuoteAnd, if she did, why not call her out for her racism?
Did you read anything else that I wrote?

chveik

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 29, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
I saw people on Reddit of all places - yesterday - saying that the word Karen has now been devalued, no longer has teeth, and is just a
misogynistic slur. So there ya go. I think the slang term will be dead within 24 months.

reddit is quite the diverse place you know

JaDanketies

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 11:50:56 AM
And, if she did, why not call her out for her racism?

You should check out the link posted earlier in the thread where it's revealed the videographer appears to regularly get called 'n*gger' by the people of Seattle, and therefore regularly makes these viral videos that he uses to sell t-shirts. Whenever anyone annoys him he says they called him the n-word, such as an AirBNB reviewer that left him three stars. Although in the past he's been a trump supporter who says black victims of police violence deserve it, and was on a TV judge show after running over his ex-wife with his car.

It appears he's a grifter and is making false accusations of racism for personal gain, which is Jussie Smollett-level bad. This is worth condemning. It goes to show you how successful it is in that there are many people out there who think this woman should have her reputation ruined because a Trump-voting police-brutality-supporting wife-beating liar claimed she used the n-word. Perhaps Jussie Smollett shows that we shouldn't jump the gun on these things.

If you ask me, the woman in the video repeatedly denies that she said anything racist. And I don't blame her for being terrified. If someone followed me home to start a confrontation I'd probably drive to the police station or grab a weapon and act like a crazy person.

Kinda reminds me of this guy plainpotatoess who used to harass randos and then went viral because one of his victims broke his phone so he played the martyr. "I was just going about my day, and THIS MAN smashed my phone! For NO REASON! Be sure to like and subscribe!"