Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sofa beds

Started by Blinder Data, July 14, 2020, 06:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Yes, this is a boring thread about sofa beds.

Have you ever bought a sofa bed for less than £1000 that actually served pretty well as (a) a sofa and (b) a bed?

I've been looking at options for the spare room in the new house. My faith in previously trustworthy websites has been destroyed by some careful googling, which revealed some appalling customer experiences. Frankly, I don't know who to believe anymore.

Help me, the houseproud of CaB, you're my only hope

Dex Sawash

Depends on who will sleep on it.

If answer is someone else then it will be fine.

imitationleather

We all end up in the spare room eventually.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on July 14, 2020, 06:14:09 PM
We all end up in the spare room eventually.

For a year now, even though she left.

imitationleather

I can't compete with that!

Puce Moment

I'm decorating our spare room at the moment and have had similar thoughts. Not enough room to have a double bed sitting around unused, but we need a double for when people stay. We went with this in the end:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-day-bed-frame-with-3-drawers-white-90349326/

It's not ideal, and not particularly cosy to sit on when functioning as a single, but we were naturally able to get it up the stairs, and it does the job. I would personally prefer a no-nonsense fold-out sofa, but we didn't find anything that wasn't eye-wateringly expensive, shit or second-hand and covered in old jism.

Sebastian Cobb

Sofa's aren't much use in spare rooms either. Why didn't Murphy beds take off like they did in the US?

idunnosomename

you can sit on a bed or sleep on a sofa just choose one

The Mollusk

If you were an Incredible Hulk or even probably just a Regular Hulk you could just fold a double bed at around a 50 degree angle and presto, a sofa. Simply fold it back to flat when you have guests sleeping over.

Of course there's only a finite number of times you can do this before the bend on the frame weakens and snaps but you've got to consider a few options before making this choice: how many times in your life are you going to have guests sleeping over, really? And is that the worst of your problems considering you're suffering from Hulkism (anywhere on the scale from Regular to Incredible) which has probably affected your life in innumerable, devastating ways? I'd imagine that in Hulk form you're less than easily persuaded to do anything practical (especially when it's the bloody wife asking you to do it!!) and have doubtless smashed up most of the home, wrecked your relationship and may have even been institutionalised for scientific research, removed from the homestead entirely.

Failing that, Made have got some pretty good options. That's where we got ours from!

Endicott

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2020, 06:55:07 PM
Sofa's aren't much use in spare rooms either. Why didn't Murphy beds take off like they did in the US?

Probably not this reason but I thought it was amusing anyway. Also, apparently you can get plans from Ikea and build a Murphy bed by altering some of their existing product. Charlie Chaplin optional.

QuoteA Murphy bed can kill you. It was hardly an epidemic; statistically speaking, you were probably as likely to die by tripping over an ottoman or walking under a falling piano.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/magazine/letter-of-recommendation-murphy-beds.html

Marner and Me

Facebook Market Place?

Blinder Data

I have an innate dislike of IKEA. I just hate the fact that all houses look the same, thanks to them. But that HEMNES looks pretty nifty.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 14, 2020, 07:11:48 PM
Failing that, Made have got some pretty good options. That's where we got ours from!

Please tell me more about your MADE.com sofa bed. I'm looking at a 'Kahlo' because it's pretty sexy, but I've seen reports that they're all cheaply made stuff.

Consignia

I'm in the business for a sofa bed at the moment. I was looking at the IKEA Hemnes, but it I don't like the looks of it, and besides, it's far too big for the room it'll go in. I've also been looking at the Made Haru. I think it'd do, but the price indicates it could be crap.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 14, 2020, 08:16:06 PM
Please tell me more about your MADE.com sofa bed. I'm looking at a 'Kahlo' because it's pretty sexy, but I've seen reports that they're all cheaply made stuff.

https://www.made.com/chou-click-clack-sofa-bed-butter-yellow

This is the one we%u2019ve got. It%u2019s a bit firm but still comfortable. It will sleep two but they%u2019d have to lie fairly straight. Ply them with booze beforehand and they won%u2019t care. We bought it mainly for its aesthetic quality as a sofa to be honest - look at it, it%u2019s fucking lovely - but friends have said that they slept well on it.

Edit: Consignia, the Haru is a variation on the one I%u2019ve linked above. You can probably gauge the quality in my post relative to the smaller size of the Haru.

The Mollusk

FUCKING apostrophe glitch!!!!!!!

Consignia

Cheers Mollusk, it's certainly good to hear. Comfortable enough for guests, but looks pretty decent.

Pijlstaart

I remember the day we went to buy a sofabed. It was mother's idea, we went to thurrock to get a discount sofabed during the new years sales, unaware she was choosing a sofabed to sleep on pre-divorce. Despite being static myself, I was always fond of moving parts and envisaged a virile sofabed with a crisp snapping motion, but mother selected a biscuit-beige fellow with an almost rheumatic multi-step mechanism of opening. I wasn't taken with it, but had been promised sausage sandwiches for lunch and so was joyous, a joy that was never realised as Father drove us into a ditch on the way home and a big hard fencepost punched itself through Mother's head. We did not have lunch, and that evening Father refused to make sausage sandwiches, we instead had fish fingers, potato waffles and peas much to my consternation. Bad memories accompanying a bad sofabed.

My sofabed of choice was at grandmother's house, when Mother wanted to go out drinking with her council house chums we'd stay the night with grandmother. This was a heritage sofabed and it didn't resemble a sofa at all, no arms, no cushions, it was just a hinged mattress with a velcro upholstery cover. Upon arrival at grandmother's house we would prepare the sofabed for slumber, first removing her extensive golliwog collection and repositioning them in formation along the walls. We would wash ourselves, grandfather would wash us again more thoroughly, then we'd watch The Bill and go to bed. Ritual is a big part of the human experience, we ritualise the parts of our life that signify something, and ritual preparation of this sofabed instilled in me a set of values that mother never possessed and never cared to possess, a set of values I carry with me to this day.

tao of wub

I would probably try and stay away from West Elm.  They are in the UK.  They are expensive, more so than IKEA and their PEGGY sofa was so shit it made many the news outlets in the USA.

A search for "peggy sofa problems" will show you what I mean.

This article was from 2017, so things might have changed..

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/08/west-elms-quality-issues-dont-stop-at-peggygate.html

What about searching for quality stuff in the used market?  I used to see really nice looking Habitat stuff going for a fraction of its new price.

With IKEA I like to go in the exit and head straight for the damaged and returned section for some bargains.

Blinder Data

This M&S sofabed is pretty sexy and cheaper than some of the similar MADE.com ones: https://www.marksandspencer.com/logan-fold-out-sofa-bed/p/fhp60450918001?color=LIGHTGREY&Fabrics=21582783

And it'll be better quality because it's M&S, right? They wouldn't lie to me in those adverts of theirs.

Quote from: tao of wub on July 14, 2020, 10:14:57 PM
What about searching for quality stuff in the used market?  I used to see really nice looking Habitat stuff going for a fraction of its new price.

I guess I could try gumtree etc but like Puce Moment says, you have to sort the wheat from the endless photos of sofas covered in doghair and jizz.

ollyboro

Get a camp bed and stick your guests in the garden. If they don't like it, tell them to bring their own bed. Or, get a couple of hammocks and sing "Rockabye Baby" as they drift off to sleep with the taste of your warm milk slipping down their pre-slit throats.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: tao of wub on July 14, 2020, 10:14:57 PM

With IKEA I like to go in the exit and head straight for the damaged and returned section for some bargains.

Went Monday to Ikea (america), did the reverse dash past the tills only to find the as-is room was closed due to pandemic. 

Consignia

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 14, 2020, 08:48:19 PM

Edit: Consignia, the Haru is a variation on the one I%u2019ve linked above. You can probably gauge the quality in my post relative to the smaller size of the Haru.

👍👍 Just got my haru bed. It's quite nice, just might need a mattress topper in bed mode, but otherwise top buy.

TrenterPercenter

Why not go for day bed, you don't really want a sofa in a spare room.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-day-bed-frame-with-3-drawers-white-90349326/

We got this in perfect condition for a £100 (second hand) and as much as i'm not a fan of Ikea i have to say it is really good, storage and turns into a nice double bed.  Would defintely recommend, it is a solid bit of furniture considering Ikeas usual stuff.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 06:26:03 PM
I'm decorating our spare room at the moment and have had similar thoughts. Not enough room to have a double bed sitting around unused, but we need a double for when people stay. We went with this in the end:

It's not ideal, and not particularly cosy to sit on when functioning as a single, but we were naturally able to get it up the stairs, and it does the job. I would personally prefer a no-nonsense fold-out sofa, but we didn't find anything that wasn't eye-wateringly expensive, shit or second-hand and covered in old jism.

Ah already posted.  Yeah i'd agree it's a better bed than it is sofa but you could get some big old cushions for it.  It's more of something to lounge on though rather than sit on like a normal sofa.

Jockice

The couch in my living room is a sofa bed but although I've slept on it many a time I've never pulled it out to be an actual bed. That was interesting, wasn't it?

Blinder Data

we actually opted for an IKEA hemnes in the end, as we wanted something that was more comfortable as a bed for guests than a sofa. of course since COVID we've had zero guests and who the feck knows when we'll feel comfortable letting people in our house like that. a part of me wishes I went ahead with the sexy sofa bed that's comfortable to sit on because at least I'd make more use out of it in the here and now

hopefully it'll be the right choice in the long term though

Cuellar

What about the FUTON COMPANY?

flotemysost

I've been sleeping on a flocked air mattress for the past couple of weeks while I've been moving between flats and it's actually really comfortable, been sleeping better than I had for ages. Apart from the time I went to bed really drunk, tried to plump it up but used the 'deflate' nozzle by accident and didn't realise til the morning.

I know that's not what the question was about, just thought I'd let you all know. (But likewise I will be hanging onto it for if/when I can have mates stay over in the future.)

peanutbutter

derailing the topic a bit, but what's sex on a futon like?

also what's sex on an Ikea Hemnes bed pulled out as a double like?

and what's sex like in general?

Marner and Me

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 15, 2020, 09:22:38 PM
derailing the topic a bit, but what's sex on a futon like?

also what's sex on an Ikea Hemnes bed pulled out as a double like?

and what's sex like in general?
Really shit, don't bother, you get juices all over you and you need to shower.