Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which comedies have you watched the most?

Started by Custard, July 15, 2020, 12:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Thinking about this earlier today, I'd say Peep Show is up there. I've watched the entire run through about 6-7 times, and when I'm stuck for something to watch I'll select a favourite episode or two. I still find it extremely funny, and weirdly comforting on some level

Alan Partridge, especially the first series of I'm Alan Partridge and Knowing Me Knowing You, and I'll imagine they'll go for most of us. I also used to cane the CDs of the radio series

Limmy's Show I've banged through several times, and it still makes me laff like a drain

Only Fools and Horses I must have watched hundreds of times over the years. And like Peep Show, I'll occasionally whack on a random episode just to cheer myself up

Bottom I'd watch repeatedly in my teens. It helped that a mate of mine at school was as big a fan as me. He even bought in the script book one day, and he was Eddie and I was Richie. No wonder we had a whopping zero girlfriends!

I'm hesitant to say it as Glinner can get in ditch, but I've never tired of Father Ted. It's perfect. Insanely great

In more recent times, Curb Your Enthusiasm is on my TV at least once every few weeks or so. Owning things digitally makes it so much easier to dig out random episodes. Gawd bless technology

Which comedies have you watched the most then?

JaDanketies

I've seen Bottom enough times to remember almost all of it, especially the first two seasons.

The comedy I have watched the most is South Park. And the movie South Park Bigger and Uncut, I've probably seen that more than I've seen any other movie; perhaps Labyrinth is a contender. Every Christmas I feel it's not complete until I've watched or listened to Mr Hankey's Christmas Classics. Simpsons deserves a mention too.

In terms of British comedy, aside from Bottom, Alan Patridge definitely, and I watched the hell out of Brass Eye, too.

Stand up, alas I used to hero-worship Bill Hicks so I know loads of his standup like the back of my hand.

magval

Probably watched the first three Partridge DVDs once a month for about five years.

I have a similar know-every-atom relationship with Father Ted and the first four seasons of Futurama as well.

bgmnts

I actually think I've listened to the Partridge audiobooks more than the telly show now, it must be in double figures.

I suppose Partridge, Blackadder and Red Dwarf are up there. I've watched a few Python episodes/sketches over and over but not full runs.

DrGreggles

EOLAN

Fawlty Towers. Probably watched our VHS about 3-4 times a year for 10 years since I was 7; and still rewatch regularly.

Although most of the last act of Gourmet Night was taped over with a Three Stooges segment; which I still regularly watched through and instinctively expect to come up anytime I re-watch now and Andre is giving him the sauces for the second duck.
Also; Health Inspector gets cut off as tape ran out just as Polly is about to do her Annie Hall impression.

Monty Python Season 1 and 2 would have regular rewatches as well.

BeardFaceMan

Stuff like The Young Ones, Bottom, Blackadder and the first few series of Red Dwarf I've seen in full over 50 times each, easily. I'd much rather rewatch something than veg out in front of something shit on the tv that I won't enjoy. One year during the school holidays I watched Top Secret every day for 6 weeks. And I've watched it at least once a year since then, that would be the thing I've rewatched the most. And I'm still on the verge of tears watching the band during Tutti Frutti, particularity the old chap wailing away on the floor with the double bass between his legs. Explain that, boffins!

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 15, 2020, 12:47:41 PM
Airplane.
Fuck knows how many times.

That's mine too overall. Countless times. Every time it's been on TV since the early 80s. I had the video (a bought copy as well as a blank VHS on which I'd recorded it off the telly)  but I'd still watch it.  Seen Fawlty Towers probably just as much too.

Recently though it's The Inbetweeners. It's on E4 a lot and as I usually go to bed early and flick channels while I'm in there, if there's nowt of any interest on the other stations. I'll put it on. I saw two episodes last night and have also watched both films again in the last few weeks, probably for about the half-dozenth time.

I did watch the entire run of Peep Show on Gold during the first few weeks of lockdown. Even though I have it all on DVD anyway.

zomgmouse

Hot Fuzz and Holy Grail, maybe also The Blues Brothers

(disclaimer: I tend not to rewatch that much stuff because there's just too much out there to watch)

Oz Oz Alice

Partridge is always a good comfort watch. I find Series 2 particularly comforting for reasons I can't explain, probably as I associate it with watching it with my dad when I was growing up.

Since I discovered It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that's become a close second: first a friend of mine made me watch it with her then I in turn introduced my best friend and bandmate to it. It's one of those things so clotted with jokes and funny gestures and intonations that you keep discovering more.

Ornlu

Seinfeld. It has the unparalleled distinction of both never getting old, and (at least for many years) being in such heavy syndication on American TV that it was seemingly always on one channel or another.

chrispmartha

Peep Show - I can watch that and rewatch it and not get tired, even the so called lesser later series'

Seinfeld - I did a full rewatch a couple of years ago and planning on doing the same again before the years out.

Stewart Lee's CV and Stand ups  - again I can watch/listen to these without getting tired of them

But I think on balance my most listened to Comedy thing is Down the Line, I must know it line by line I've listened to them that much but to my ears they are pretty much perfection.

Films probably Lebowski and A Fish Called Wanda (I absolutely adore that film!!)

Kelvin

Fawlty Towers, Frasier, and - although I haven't watched it in years - probably classic Simpsons, due to the amount I rewatched all three throughout my youth and teenage years.

Basically easy-watching comfort food that I would watch whenever it was on, which was basically every day.

As an adult, I think Curb might be my most rewatched show, that and Fawlty Towers. But I obviously didn't watch Curb six million times when I was a kid, so it's no comparison really.   

Brundle-Fly

Probably The Simpsons as my other half used to always watch an episode to unwind after she got back from work. I say 'used to' because she got laid off a month ago because of the plague and that ritual seems to have gone by the wayside. Still, there was only so many times I could sit through Treehouse Of Horror 4 or Bart The General again

Bazooka

Golden age The Simpsons
The League of Gentleman, 1&2 I could recite word for word.
Curb
Partridge
The Day Today & Brasseye
Father Ted
Bottom

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 15, 2020, 01:04:33 PM
(disclaimer: I tend not to rewatch that much stuff because there's just too much out there to watch)

Likewise, so most of my rewatching comes from my teens / very early twenties, and so includes things like The Simpsons, Brass Eye, The Larry Sanders Show and Red Dwarf. From the last decade I think the only thing I've watched more than once is Nathan For You, Delocated and The Venture Brothers.

NoSleep

I've watched all of these several times through and will probably do so again before too long:

Archer
Arrested Development (well, definitely the first three seasons)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Axe Cop
Beavis & Butthead
Bojack HorseMan
Corporate
Delocated
Eagleheart
Get A Life
I'm Alan Partridge
Kids In The Hall
Home Movies
Lucy, Daughter Of The Devil
Metalocalypse
Mr Show
Rick & Morty
South Park
Squidbillies
The Venture Bros
Wonder Showzen
Xavier: Renegade Angel

Brundle-Fly

chveik

Sin Agog

Probably Dr Katz. Not because it's anywhere near the best, but because it's so ambient and easy to scooch about the room doing other things to.  Plus it's been on youtube for forever.

sutin

Father Ted, the first series of I'm Alan Partridge and Seinfeld.

sutin

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 15, 2020, 01:11:09 PM
Partridge is always a good comfort watch. I find Series 2 particularly comforting for reasons I can't explain, probably as I associate it with watching it with my dad when I was growing up.

In my brain, series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge came out recently and series 1 came out when I was a kid. Series 2 is now 18 years old. Crikey.

Marner and Me

Archer
Blackadder (2-4 I'd say almost word for word)
Bottom
Fawlty Towers
Game On (word for word)
Peep Show
Red Dwarf (1-9) Not a huge fan of the Dave stuff.
The Fast Show

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: sutin on July 15, 2020, 09:43:20 PM
In my brain, series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge came out recently and series 1 came out when I was a kid. Series 2 is now 18 years old. Crikey.

I rewatched series 1 of IAP recently and there's a bit where Dave Clifton calls him OAP, Old Alan Partridge and Alan squeals "I'm 43, you cheeky git!". And then it dawned on me that I am now 43, the same age as Alan. Fucking hell.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just the same stuff as everyone else, really. Partridge, Brass Eye, The Day Today, Seinfeld, CYE, Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. Might there be an actual CaB consensus forming here?!

I've also watched The League of Gentlemen (series one and two in particular) plus The Office (UK) about a dozen times in full. God knows how many times I've watched my favourite episodes of Hancock's Half Hour, they're such a comfort blanket, and I will never tire of This Is Spinal Tap and The Blues Brothers, despite knowing them back to front and sideways.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 15, 2020, 10:05:12 PM
I rewatched series 1 of IAP recently and there's a bit where Dave Clifton calls him OAP, Old Alan Partridge and Alan squeals "I'm 43, you cheeky git!". And then it dawned on me that I am now 43, the same age as Alan. Fucking hell.

Conversely, whenever I watch most of my favourite comedies, I'm struck by the fact that most of the people involved were in their twenties or early thirties. I'm 45. I've achieved nothing.

Peter Cook wrote One Leg Too Few when he was twelve or something. I detest these overachieving bastards.

rue the polywhirl

Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Simpsons, Seinfeld, South Park, Curb, Brass Eye, Alan Partridge, Blues Brothers, Team America, Always Sunny. Completely typical same as everybody else stuff. :(

batwings

I think Cheers wins. Started taping and taping them off Channel 4 (on Betamax, lol) in the mid-80s then rewatched them hundreds of times. Haven't seen any full episodes in years but recently got hold of some 1080p versions. Cheers was shot on film so it looks really good in HD but I kind of miss the tracking lines and glitches from the old tapes/

Others include Married With Children, Frasier, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, Blackadder, Young Ones, Absolutely (a ton), Red Dwarf, Bottom, A Bit Of Fry and Laurie and the handful of Letterman episodes that were shown in the UK back then. All watched to death during my student days and beyond. Alan Partridge dominates from the mid-90s onwards for me.

I tend to rewatch panel shows such as Would I Lie To You more than sitcoms these days and often in the form of compilations on Youtube.