Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Men Behaving Badly thread

Started by dead-ced-dead, July 15, 2020, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 20, 2020, 10:46:40 AM
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm very fond of Series 1. I like Harry Enfield as Dermot a lot.
It has a brilliant bit where Dermot wants to hire a flamenco guitar player for a romantic meal, but he ends up with a guy on a keyboard that has lots of different settings. ("Oops, slipped into flugelhorn there.")

Consignia

I've never seen series 1 before, and because of this thread I watched a couple of episodes. Not feeling it, I'm afraid. I really think Enfield makes a poor perfomance with Dermot, feels really flat. Maybe I just have too much nostalgia for the more cartoonish Tony. It's only 4 more episodes and they are short, so might stick with it.

Utter Shit

Quote from: phes on July 20, 2020, 07:50:00 PM
Series 6 is rubbish. Most of the way through now and there's very little positive to say. Nothing really happens, and not in a good way

That's pretty harsh IMO - it's a step down on series 5 which is the show at it's best for me, but I think Watching TV is as good a bottle episode as you'll see, Jealousy is silly but great fun and Ten is brilliant too, with Tony meeting Deb's mum far better than the main plot of the little kid coming to stay.

Enzo

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 20, 2020, 10:19:55 PM
That's pretty harsh IMO - it's a step down on series 5 which is the show at it's best for me, but I think Watching TV is as good a bottle episode as you'll see, Jealousy is silly but great fun and Ten is brilliant too, with Tony meeting Deb's mum far better than the main plot of the little kid coming to stay.

The reveal of the perm is one for the ages

Sebastian Cobb

And also the overwrought way he bellows 'WELL MAKE YOUR BLOODY MIND UP YOU STUPID BLOODY WOMAN!'.

neveragain

The Sofa episode is very enjoyable as well.

Panbaams

Quote from: Captain Z on July 20, 2020, 04:02:37 PM
Was meaning to rewatch this for a while. I've now realised that I'd never seen either series 1 or 2 (the ITV years). I've only just finished the second, but it strikes me as being incredibly slow-moving and drab compared to my (hazy, admittedly) memories of the later series.

I wonder if that's a case of BBC simply being much better at producing a sitcom given the same ingredients, or if the move to post-watershed was the key to kicking it up a gear.

A third option: Simon Nye talks about this in the script book and says that he got better at keeping a few plates spinning in each episode.

Has anyone read the original MBB novel?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Panbaams on July 22, 2020, 02:56:06 PM
A third option: Simon Nye talks about this in the script book and says that he got better at keeping a few plates spinning in each episode.

Has anyone read the original MBB novel?

I did, a very long time ago. I must dig it out. From memory there's a few moments that were adapted into the first series, but I also remember there being a lot more pathos for the most part.

A Proustian moment has also made me think of the book Drop The Dead Donkey 2000, which was actually a lot of fun, even if the final TV series contradicts the events in the book.

JarrowMonkey

I love it me,

Favourite quotes, Gary to Les the landlord

'Les, you are neither young, gifted or black'

Another one I use when someone asks, 'you'll never guess who I spoke with today ?, I reply, 'the actor Christopher Timothy?'

One bit of poor continuity, when they go on the camping holiday, Gary can't drive and smashes into the tree, but in an early series, he drove to an all night chemist

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 22, 2020, 07:03:11 PM
One bit of poor continuity, when they go on the camping holiday, Gary can't drive and smashes into the tree, but in an early series, he drove to an all night chemist

Doesn't he get locked out of the house and the absurdity comes from that he walks there in his dressing gown? A pleasant slice of 90s Piccadilly Circus (see also Bernard & The Genie).

Goldentony

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 21, 2020, 12:19:47 AM
And also the overwrought way he bellows 'WELL MAKE YOUR BLOODY MIND UP YOU STUPID BLOODY WOMAN!'.

yeah this cannot be recommended enough, "well make yer bloody MIND UP yer STUPID BLOODY woMAAAAAAAAAN" with that wig

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 22, 2020, 07:18:41 PM
Doesn't he get locked out of the house and the absurdity comes from that he walks there in his dressing gown? A pleasant slice of 90s Piccadilly Circus (see also Bernard & The Genie).

I'm sure he drove and isn't he at the seat of the hire car when spying on Deborah

Also a funny moment in the chemist is when he pulls the table tennis bat from his pocket

phes

All the moments mentioned from series 6 I enjoyed a lot but by the end of it I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd watched a bit of a lackluster effort. I'll revisit the bottle episode though given such high praise and I usually love them

JaDanketies

Quote from: Consignia on July 20, 2020, 08:31:02 PM
I've never seen series 1 before, and because of this thread I watched a couple of episodes. Not feeling it, I'm afraid. I really think Enfield makes a poor perfomance with Dermot, feels really flat. Maybe I just have too much nostalgia for the more cartoonish Tony. It's only 4 more episodes and they are short, so might stick with it.

I agree, I watched bits of Season 1 recently and Harry Enfield has nothing on Neil Morrisey in that role. Very talented guy but the whole thing feels stilted and weirdly silent.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 22, 2020, 07:36:32 PM
I'm sure he drove and isn't he at the seat of the hire car when spying on Deborah

Dorothy, but yes I watched that one the other day and the joke was that he'd hired a bright red nissan micra to be inconspicuous.

I'm pretty sure that it was a bright red nissan micra he planted into a tree when he couldn't drive as well, but that one is one I haven't watched in a very long time.

"I can't believe it - you've bought a pointer!"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on July 22, 2020, 07:20:22 PM
yeah this cannot be recommended enough, "well make yer bloody MIND UP yer STUPID BLOODY woMAAAAAAAAAN" with that wig

I had to go and find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLTPH1WTROE

thenoise

He loses his car keys so he has to walk home.

Gurke and Hare

That bit's weird. Dorothy: "Come on, the chemist's just at the end of the road." Cut to Gary in Piccadilly Circus. What?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Twonty Gostelow

SteveDave

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 22, 2020, 07:03:11 PM
Another one I use when someone asks, 'you'll never guess who I spoke with today ?, I reply, 'the actor Christopher Timothy?'

I said this last week to my wife. She's used to my bullshit now and just said "No it was..." and then I stopped listening.

thenoise

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 22, 2020, 09:54:02 PM
That bit's weird. Dorothy: "Come on, the chemist's just at the end of the road." Cut to Gary in Piccadilly Circus. What?

The local one is closed. He drives about until he finally finds one that is open - Picadilli circus. He doesn't have his wallet so drives home again and tries to give Dorothy flour and water. She noticed immediately and sends him off to get the real stuff. He buys it but loses his keys and has to walk home. Then bitch Dorothy decides she doesn't need it anyway and laughs at him.

Gurke and Hare

The long opening scene with Dorothy and Gary in Bed should have been extended to a whole episode. It's nothing like as good once the plot starts.