Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Letterboxd

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 15, 2020, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

There was a thread, but it's a few years old.

Anyway, nice fun social media / movie review site, which I presume a few of you are on. If you'd like to see exactly what I thought about, say, 2017's "Once Upon A Time In Venice" (1 star), then that is the place to go.

https://letterboxd.com/Famous_Mortimer/

Share your pages, if you like.

Sebastian Cobb

I keep meaning to sign up to this. But am also aware of Trakt, can someone explain the differences please?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 08:52:48 PM
But am also aware of Trakt, can someone explain the differences please?
No

(sorry, this is like my favourite thing about the questions on Amazon products, where people answer "don't know" to the questions asked, assuming it was sent to them personally)

C_Larence

As a way of logging movies I've seen and keeping a list of movies I want to see, it's great. The dopamine hit of getting a like on a review is toxic. I think it suffers from the same issue as a lot of social media in that it rewards the loudest/most annoying voices. The top rated review of any movie starring Brad Pitt/Jake Gyllenhaal/John Cassavetes will usually be someone saying they want Brad Pitt/Jake Gyllenhaal/John Cassavetes to fuck them, and it gets boring seeing the same thing over and over again. My favourite user is Branson Reese, who reviews a lot of old Warner Brothers and Disney cartoons. He has a great way with words. https://boxd.it/zPmN

His review of The Little Mermaid is a recent favourite.
QuoteThe shit in the kitchen with Louis trying to kill Sebastian is the funniest shit in the world oh my god. He's just the gruesome French proto-Wario singing to himself about how much he loves to brutalize the dead fish and how glad he is that they're dead, having the time of his life. Completely alone, giving it his absolute all for no audience. And then when he sees a living crab he instantly loses his mind and begins trying to kill him with a glee that borders on suicidal. Tex Avery shit.

Least favourite is the girl who puts "vegan alerts" in all her reviews.
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1077257161535832065?s=21

Famous Mortimer

Branson Reese is great, I liked his appearances on "The Special Without Brett Davis" and his podcast is pretty good too.

zomgmouse

Here I am: https://letterboxd.com/zomgmouse/

Quote from: C_Larence on July 15, 2020, 09:47:45 PM
As a way of logging movies I've seen and keeping a list of movies I want to see, it's great. The dopamine hit of getting a like on a review is toxic.

What's your profile? I will follow you.

Quote from: C_Larence on July 15, 2020, 09:47:45 PM
Least favourite is the girl who puts "vegan alerts" in all her reviews.
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1077257161535832065?s=21

I followed her for a while but she follows everybody and she just clogged my feed with the amount of people she followed and reviews she liked. And the vegan alerts got ridiculous - I sort of tolerated them for a while but then I think she wrote something like "a cat kills a mouse" and I was like, okay, nope, enough.

zomgmouse

Jerzy Bondov

I love Letterboxed. Following you fine folks for your movie opinions, please also follow me for mine. https://letterboxd.com/mattyzmatty/

Fucking hell C_Larence your Aladdin review made me laugh.

Custard

What's the difference between this and Rate Your Music? Also, is it just films, or TV? Music? Pot Noodles?

C_Larence

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 16, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
I love Letterboxed. Following you fine folks for your movie opinions, please also follow me for mine. https://letterboxd.com/mattyzmatty/

Fucking hell C_Larence your Aladdin review made me laugh.

Thanks, followed you back. I never know whether to actually review a film or just say something stupid.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 16, 2020, 11:17:51 AM
What's the difference between this and Rate Your Music? Also, is it just films, or TV? Music? Pot Noodles?

It's just films, some TV (Black Mirror episodes and Chernobyl for example) and some online media. No music as far as I know, and no pot noodles.

Puce Moment

I've just joined after many years of enjoying others' lists.

Is there a way to have a CaB group rather than posting all of our names? I use my own name is why like.

cacciaguida

I am a recent convert to LB and it's great for many reasons.

I try to do pithy short reviews for films so feel free to follow here:

https://letterboxd.com/macksb/

cacciaguida

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 17, 2020, 01:06:03 AM

This is really funny and exactly the LB content I am after

Famous Mortimer

I was just looking at the page for "Caddyshack 2" and it appears its director, Allan Arkush, is on Letterboxd (I watched one of his other movies, the amazing "Get Crazy". last night).

https://letterboxd.com/aarkush/

If it's not him, it's someone doing a very elaborate bit for no obvious pay-off.

Puce Moment

I've been enjoying the hell out of this app/website. The more you put in, the more you get out. The only issue is my OCD is getting pranged to fuck, but I am enjoying finding new films, and remembering older ones, so I can't complain. There are some really fantastic lists on there from some wildly cine-literate film fans.

I like rating and assigning to my Watchlist - but is there a way to assign a film with 'Never Going to Watch'? The more I add to my lists, the more I keep seeing stuff I will never need to rate or put in my watch list. I'm talking capes, magic and all that shit.

Shit Good Nose

I am on there, but only as an alternative to keeping a record of my film collection when Film Aficionado temporarily went down the shitter.  Now that's been rescued, I've got a half completed LB profile with no reviews.  I really ought to log back in and finish my catalogue, but also add some reviews - FilmAf is a great catalogue tool, but there's no allowance for reviews or even ratings.

prwc

I'm Thalamic on there. I don't have enough confidence in my writing abilities to post reviews but I do log most of what I watch on it (eventually). It's a wonderful place to discover new films, and the community, at least from what I've experienced generally seem to be decent sorts.

Puce Moment

I intend to start leaving reviews, but I don't think they will be terribly long - perhaps three or four sentences.

I write about films for a living, so it does seem like work sometimes.

peanutbutter

In some ways it falling apart a bit these days. The witty comments have totally overwhelmed the reviews, what's even worse is how a popular person's ever banal comment will reach the top reviews for a film too. Similar issues occur when browsing lists too.

The filtering for lists has to improve too, band docs/gigs and basically anything lgbt focused always seems to take huge precedence on the ratings and popularity sorting options.

If I'm gonna find anything on letterboxd these days, it'll from the activity feed of people I'm following. Will add a few of you, not gonna share my profile here for search engine reasons though

Puce Moment

Interesting. I rarely read comments or reviews so I guess I haven't noticed this. I do find the ratings for old toot quite annoying, and I don't understand why there is do much TV listed. But the lists function is great, and it is nice to see various people in the biz with accounts on there.

zomgmouse

It's interesting to see people like Sean Baker using the site, he has a very varied taste. And as FM mentioned earlier, Allan Arkush. Here's his review of Hollywood Boulevard.

What shits me is that there's now television shows and stand-up specials etc on the site, makes it harder to filter through. E.g. I might sometimes browse the site's films by average rating to see if there's anything good I might have missed out on and then have to wade through all sorts of things that aren't films.

And as you say the glib remarks (often even just something like wanting to have sex with someone in the film) are getting very tedious.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 17, 2020, 02:39:23 PM
I was just looking at the page for "Caddyshack 2" and it appears its director, Allan Arkush, is on Letterboxd (I watched one of his other movies, the amazing "Get Crazy". last night).

https://letterboxd.com/aarkush/

If it's not him, it's someone doing a very elaborate bit for no obvious pay-off.

I like him already:

QuoteCaddyshack II 1988
★  Rewatched 18 Jun, 2019  20

I should never have made this movie!! There was only one Caddy and no Shack. What was I thinking?

Puce Moment

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 31, 2020, 02:13:41 AMWhat shits me is that there's now television shows and stand-up specials etc on the site, makes it harder to filter through. E.g. I might sometimes browse the site's films by average rating to see if there's anything good I might have missed out on and then have to wade through all sorts of things that aren't films.

This is why I think they should have a 'delete' or 'hide' function so that you can tag a title with 'never going to watch or review, fuck off' so that they disappear from the timeline altogether. Because I haven't scored, reviewed or assigned 'watch later' to Marvel Pixar Spider Wonder Woman Mr America films, they keep getting pushed at me. I would rather not give them a half star for the sake of it.

QuoteAnd as you say the glib remarks (often even just something like wanting to have sex with someone in the film) are getting very tedious.

If it can happen on CaB then it surely can happen there.

Famous Mortimer

I don't see those sorts of comments too often, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong movies. I seem to get a lot of people who are in love with the sound of their own voice, with the first paragraph always about something completely irrelevant and sounding like a creative writing assignment, and the "review" always being about how smart they are with any of the qualities of the movie a distant second.

But, you should all contribute to my lists:

* Wooden guard tower movies (movies where someone gets shot out of a guard tower, or it gets set on fire or blown up, or all three)

* Haha all our friends are dead (where at the end, people are all laughing and that, despite being surrounded by the corpses of their friends)

* The future already happened (movies set in a future year which is actually the past, as of 2020)

Puce Moment

I really like the overly convoluted lists that are just two films. This one has three:

netflix romcom spends 90 minutes establishing a new non-white love interest whos much more charismatic and attractive, only for the lead to go to their original wetwipe of a partner in the end, making it a waste of my time and yours

Famous Mortimer

Oh, and there's an "unofficial Gregg Turkington" account on there - https://letterboxd.com/unofficialgt/ - who is "an attempt to archive all of film buff Gregg Turkington's popcorn ratings, including movies mentioned in On Cinema At the Cinema reviews, popcorn classics, special segments, interviews, the official app, and so much more. Criteria for inclusion is Gregg directly referring to or acknowledging the film to any capacity.".

Puce Moment

Yes, I follow that. As you would imagine, it's a delightfully mixed bag of 5-star reviewed films of vastly differing quality.