Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Letterboxd

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 15, 2020, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I'm pivoting to mostly glib comments because they get twice as many likes (ie two likes instead of one like)

Sebastian Cobb

Been meaning to sort this but have to sort out what films I have watched before bothering.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2020, 02:40:48 PM
Been meaning to sort this but have to sort out what films I have watched before bothering.
If you've got some time on your hands, it's occasionally fun to flick through one of the mega-lists, and just click the "seen" button for everything you've seen. It might give you the odd idea, too.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 31, 2020, 02:26:06 PM
I'm pivoting to mostly glib comments because they get twice as many likes (ie two likes instead of one like)
One of mine got three likes the other day! I nearly fainted!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 31, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
If you've got some time on your hands, it's occasionally fun to flick through one of the mega-lists, and just click the "seen" button for everything you've seen. It might give you the odd idea, too.

Nah I've given myself a little programming project using AWS' Comprehend text analysis service that can extract film titles out 'paragraphs of text', it can also perform 'sentiment analysis' to work out whether these paragraphs are complimentary or not. Just need to find the time.

zomgmouse

or you could go back in time and obsessively record every film you watched or wanted to watch in a spreadsheet which is what i did except for the going back in time bit because i'd already done the spreadsheet bit

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 01, 2020, 01:19:00 PM
or you could go back in time and obsessively record every film you watched or wanted to watch in a spreadsheet which is what i did except for the going back in time bit because i'd already done the spreadsheet bit
I respect that sort of thing, while being completely unable to do it. An ex of mine (lovely lady from Sheffield with a postcard from Stephen Fry on her wall) had a notebook with every book she'd read from age X in it, and I started one of my own, which lasted about 6 months.

zomgmouse

A notebook somehow seems even more work than a spreadsheet!

peanutbutter

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 31, 2020, 02:13:41 AM
What shits me is that there's now television shows and stand-up specials etc on the site, makes it harder to filter through. E.g. I might sometimes browse the site's films by average rating to see if there's anything good I might have missed out on and then have to wade through all sorts of things that aren't films.
Feel like I've seen Daniel Sloss's face a million times on Letterboxd doing this

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 31, 2020, 12:44:19 PM
This is why I think they should have a 'delete' or 'hide' function so that you can tag a title with 'never going to watch or review, fuck off' so that they disappear from the timeline altogether. Because I haven't scored, reviewed or assigned 'watch later' to Marvel Pixar Spider Wonder Woman Mr America films, they keep getting pushed at me. I would rather not give them a half star for the sake of it.
Yep, nothing really holding them back from including something like that. Other than it having a pretty bizarre number of random brief outages that suggest the whole codebase is a shitshow.

Famous Mortimer

I'm now getting more annoyed with a handful of the "popular" accounts on there, and the block function only means you can't comment on their shit, not that you can't see the slab of self-mythologising bollocks they leave on every fucking movie they watch.

The answer is to only watch and log extremely rubbish movies, which no-one cares about. Think anyone wrote 5000 boring words about, say, 1990's "Syngenor"? Of course they didn't!

privatefriend

I'm enjoying it but I only use it to log films and keep a watchlist. The small rush of satisfaction when logging a film as watched is rather pathetic, I often can't wait to do it. Annoyed that I didnt sign up much earlier as I don't intend to retroactively add every film I've seen.

My profile