Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

holyzombiejesus

Fuck The Guardian.

Corbyn aside, remember when HMV was in danger of closing all it's shops and loads of people were going to lose their jobs and they printed an article titled "Thank you for the music, HMV, but we don't need you any more?"

Fuck them.

Famous Mortimer

The first positive comment was about a hundred tweets down. I wonder if he'll pay the slightest heed to this (he won't).

BlodwynPig

1990s you reading 2020s Guardian "what is this Right Wing rag?" and so it drifts further. Investigative journalism dying in the mainstream.

idunnosomename

i always assumed Owen knew the guardian was shit but he just used it as a platform. like, you know, rage against the machine signing to Epic/Sony

but this is fucking pathetic. it gives succor to establishmentbots like Freedland, no better than Aaronovitch and ginned-up mums like Suzanne Moore, no better than Allison Pearson. in the fucking trash

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 15, 2020, 09:19:22 PM
Freedland ... Suzanne Moore
At the same time, these will be the last to leave the payroll.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 15, 2020, 09:19:22 PM
i always assumed Owen knew the guardian was shit but he just used it as a platform. like, you know, rage against the machine signing to Epic/Sony

but this is fucking pathetic. it gives succor to establishmentbots like Freedland, no better than Aaronovitch and ginned-up mums like Suzanne Moore, no better than Allison Pearson. in the fucking trash

Indeed, he knows not to bite the hand that feeds him.

I laughed when Hadley Freeman was beakering over people sharing that good bit of Times journalism a while back. 'print media is dying, support it', the comments telling her to get bent and calling her an establishment stooge were great. But you've got to say fair play to her, she's carved out a nice little corner wanking out blog-tier articles about Trading Places being problematic and Karen being a slur, she knows if times get hard and she gets dunted the days are gone.

Conversely Owen is one of the few left-wing faces left and he'd get picked up by something rising from the ashes, but the gig must be too good.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Having the Guardian as the last 'left wing' paper didn't help when we had the only UK left wing party with a chance of power there will now ever be.

So that argument that it provides a bulwark against the excesses of the right is nonexistent. They fucking chose to cut their nose to spite their face like the pearl clutching liberal haute bourgeois nonentities they are.

It's just a filter there to dilute, obviate, obscure any attempt to popularise left wing thought. Of course there are some left wing columnists as it would be impossible to labour the pretence otherwise. For years they've traded on angering the left as clickbait. Tough fucking pisscakes now lads.

Middle class rag for clueless Blairites to dry hump the corpse of their treacherous dead dream.

It can get to absolute fuck.

Zetetic

I assume The Guardian could absorb far higher losses, if its management and the board wanted it to.

There's a billion quid to work through before they let anyone go that they actually don't want to.

idunnosomename

i always thought he was still freelance? anyway he supported owen smith which was the PLP blatantly telling the labour party to fuck off, so i shouldnt be surprised

Sebastian Cobb

The only compelling argument is they did do some good investigative stuff, Windrush and Snowden, although I hear that the security services have since neutered them.

Sebastian Cobb

Yes, I've read that, hence the neutered comment.

Thursday

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 10:18:46 PM
The only compelling argument is they did do some good investigative stuff, Windrush and Snowden, although I hear that the security services have since neutered them.

Yes this does give me some pause, but then it doesn't necessarily follow that now there'd be no place for those kinds of article.

Their main contribution in recent years is boosting TERFS and Disingenuous centrists.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 10:26:01 PM
Yes, I've read that, hence the neutered comment.

Assumed you had, it was posted for the benefit of anyone who hasn't.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1283460115111215105

QuoteYou know, I've often looked at what passes for the left in this country and thought, 'what this needs is more editorials calling trans women rapists.' And now you're telling me I can use my own money to help make it happen? What a dream

Bleeding Kansas

chveik

they could use a shout-out from John C

idunnosomename

did you SEE the last article by Queen Marina though???? it was DELIGHTFULLY DEVILISH. i am very left wing.

pigamus

Bloody Marina Hyde

Confusing being endlessly facetious with actually being funny

She's like HS Art made flesh

shiftwork2

The Guardian's an entitled kitchen island joke - hope this was the point of this thread.  Has been for 10 years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on July 15, 2020, 11:59:53 PM
Bloody Marina Hyde

Confusing being endlessly facetious with actually being funny

She's like HS Art made flesh

Bit unfair. She wouldn't know whimsy if it bummed pubes daz right in front of her.

Buelligan

Thank you for linking this pancs, I read all of the replies and enjoyed almost every one, great to come home to some good news!  Cannot wait to see these cunts unemployed - wow, who knew I could feel like that? 

Dewt

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on July 16, 2020, 12:28:50 AM
Cannot wait to see these cunts unemployed
Who are you hoping for? Might be interesting to compare in a few months with those who've actually left the payroll.

chveik

dunno, I expect some little people will get fired, they'll put a paywall and that'll be it. the high profile cunts are safe, it's a bit like Bezos asking for donations so that his employees don't starve. I hope I'm wrong obv

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on July 16, 2020, 12:33:12 AM
Who are you hoping for? Might be interesting to compare in a few months with those who've actually left the payroll.

I'll take what I can get but obvs, Fuckmeshoes, Freedland, Cohen, they would make a lovely start.  Toynbee.  There are so many more.  Behr.  Pidd.  I know it's a silly dream but, right now, it's making me feel all warm and cosy.  Rayner.  Crace.  Fucked now.

Leo2112

Even today on the online site they've been pushing a Labour anti-semitism story complete with Corbyn picture as their main piece (I would have thought Tories purging a committee chair might be bigger news tonight).  Fuck that rag.

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1283508130945605632

Cry more Hadley

peanutbutter

Quote from: Leo2112 on July 16, 2020, 12:54:59 AM
Even today on the online site they've been pushing a Labour anti-semitism story complete with Corbyn picture as their main piece (I would have thought Tories purging a committee chair might be bigger news tonight).  Fuck that rag.
Along with a summary article of events that totally omits the leaks from earlier this year.

Hard to imagine any money you give would be used for anything other than to help keep some of the long term dirge employed still.