Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godber

Can't believe they're going to sack off their Saturday supplements (Weekend, The Guide, Review, Travel - well, I can believe the last one). They're the reason I/people buy the print edition on Saturdays and one of the things I most look forward to each week ☹️

Retinend

Quote from: Leo2112 on July 16, 2020, 12:54:59 AM
Even today on the online site they've been pushing a Labour anti-semitism story complete with Corbyn picture as their main piece (I would have thought Tories purging a committee chair might be bigger news tonight).  Fuck that rag.

Context: a draft of a report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission is about to be released and in it, certain MPs will be criticised. Why shouldn't the Guardian report on it since it is a developing story?

the article in question: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/labour-to-apologise-to-antisemitism-whistleblowers

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: godber on July 16, 2020, 09:24:35 AM
Can't believe they're going to sack off their Saturday supplements (Weekend, The Guide, Review, Travel - well, I can believe the last one). They're the reason I/people buy the print edition on Saturdays and one of the things I most look forward to each week ☹️

That's the newspaper equivalent of a pub closing during the daytime to cut costs, it's terminal at that point and they never last.

jobotic

Quote from: Leo2112 on July 16, 2020, 12:54:59 AM
Even today on the online site they've been pushing a Labour anti-semitism story complete with Corbyn picture as their main piece (I would have thought Tories purging a committee chair might be bigger news tonight).  Fuck that rag.

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1283508130945605632

Cry more Hadley

Yep. Cummings removes the whip from a fellow far-right leaver cunt because he has to have total control of the party and the country (also getting rid off the person investigating Patel's bullying) and this shit is the headline.

Lorra lorra terfs commenting under that Freeman whine.

steveh

Can%u2019t believe they%u2019re going to sack off their Saturday supplements (Weekend, The Guide, Review, Travel - well, I can believe the last one). They%u2019re the reason I/people buy the print edition on Saturdays and one of the things I most look forward to each week %u2639%uFE0F

Saw something a while back saying that while the Saturday edition sells the most copies it's also is the least profitable - think at one point they may even have considered it a loss leader because it attracted readers and they made the money back on the other days.

notjosh

The Guardian is surely still the best source of actual journalism in the UK? If not then who?

If they just concentrated on reportage and sacked off the rancid opinion section I might consider chucking them a few quid.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Retinend on July 16, 2020, 09:33:26 AM
Context: a draft of a report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission is about to be released and in it, certain MPs will be criticised. Why shouldn't the Guardian report on it since it is a developing story?

the article in question: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/labour-to-apologise-to-antisemitism-whistleblowers

You mean the Russia Report and Graylings Failings?

jobotic

It's the outrage at the actions of the government we have, and the lack of remorse (or even acceptance) for their role in making sure the only chance we had for change was scuppered, that is so sickening.

Starmer in print form.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 09:35:10 AM
That's the newspaper equivalent of a pub closing during the daytime to cut costs, it's terminal at that point and they never last.
Not many pubs with an endowment of a billion quid, however.

Sebastian Cobb

The breweries/landlords (e.g. Punch) bleeding them dry though.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Erm...is that actually going to happen?

Cuellar

It's the crossword setters I feel sorry for

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The centrist readership can fuck off to the I or the Times while the left readership can finally move past any remaining delusion that the Guardian had any actual interest in getting a politician that's left of Starmer into power.

The Mirror, in its own cruddy way did more to represent the 13 million+ left leaning electorate.

pancreas

Quote from: Cuellar on July 16, 2020, 10:31:09 AM
It's the crossword setters I feel sorry for

Honestly, it's the only page I visit. If they downed tools and moved to a subscription site, I'd be all over the cunt.

godber

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 16, 2020, 10:29:07 AM
Erm...is that actually going to happen?

https://twitter.com/cg_williams/status/1283646660065796097?s=21

Don't think the guardian have said anything public ally yet, but several the tweets of several columnists back up the above.

peanutbutter

Did the Guardian actually cover the leaks earlier this year at all?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 08:58:55 PM
trotting this out again
https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1283417739638562816
Jonathan Freedland is the worst. Endless bullshit attacking Labour for antisemitism but offer him a prize honouring an antisemitic conspiracy theorist and he leaps on it faster than you can say Maugham. (As well as the Somerset Maugham Award, he also received the Orwell prize, but it seems Orwell's early antisemitism is overlooked by everybody, not just our Jon.)

Buelligan

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 09:50:18 AM
The Guardian is surely still the best source of actual journalism in the UK? If not then who?

If they just concentrated on reportage and sacked off the rancid opinion section I might consider chucking them a few quid.

Problem is, the Guardian's been enthusiastically pushing this poison for years.  Really pushing it.  Even if every one of those cunts gets the chop (which they won't) that decision, that culture, is still at the heart.  Give your money to DoubleDown, Novara or Tribune.  All of them.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: pancreas on July 16, 2020, 10:35:46 AM
Honestly, it's the only page I visit. If they downed tools and moved to a subscription site, I'd be all over the cunt.

They did about ten years ago, part of guardian plus. They saw participation collapse and made them free again.

idunnosomename

Quote from: godber on July 16, 2020, 10:39:08 AM
https://twitter.com/cg_williams/status/1283646660065796097?s=21

Don't think the guardian have said anything public ally yet, but several the tweets of several columnists back up the above.
lmao if the guide goes whats the point of spending £10 at waitrose on saturday anymore

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

RIP Weekend Guardian? Fucking Hell, how am I going to get through a Saturday without reading about Tim Dowling's exciting family life, or Hadley Freeman wanking on about what a fucking brilliant film " The Breakfast Club" is, or how she is the bestest at interviewing famous people?

Buelligan

For the truly concerned, save your last real paper pages of the Guardian and use them to fold this charming and practical box for storing and huffing farts from -

pancreas

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 16, 2020, 10:50:05 AM
They did about ten years ago, part of guardian plus. They saw participation collapse and made them free again.

You're right they did. But things are a bit different now. They are also the best in the business and if their site were the only source... It would be worth another go I reckon. Do we know how much they get paid for each one?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 16, 2020, 10:55:47 AM
Hadley Freeman wanking on about what a fucking brilliant film " The Breakfast Club" is, or how she is the bestest at interviewing famous people?

https://mobile.twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1283652632675078144

Mmm let me taste your tears hadley mm hahhaha

pancreas

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 15, 2020, 10:19:47 PM
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-09-11-how-the-uk-security-services-neutralised-the-countrys-leading-liberal-newspaper/

Here's yer fucking investigative journalism.

That does seem like more good evidence that were not just seeing inherant bias across the media exposed by genuine left wing politics emerging but an active shift to the right in the last decade.

idunnosomename

Quote from: pancreas on July 16, 2020, 11:06:46 AM
What do they taste like? Give me the full Proust.
sweets they dont make anymore