Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Something to keep in mind, a couple of things really, we sit in our relative poverty - I was just examining mine - I am not being physically attacked, there is no war here, I have clean water to drink and wash in, I can afford to eat and there is good food to buy (and be given), my surroundings are beautiful, I can speak my brain and get almost enough rest.  I am rich compared with most humans (and animals).  Just as those with power, privilege and wealth above me should stand up for my rights, just as they oppress me with their indifference and complacency, in my position of relative exploitation and poverty[nb]I can't go on holiday or buy new things or have a vehicle, I have to ration my water and power use, I work harder than is good for my health and have very little free time, things like sick days or dental care are not in my world, I never "go" anywhere or have anything those people would consider luxurious or even, maybe, normal[/nb], I owe it to all those whose suffering and want is far greater than mine, to fight, not just stand up from time to time but actively push, sacrifice, to help them.

I think, maybe, a fair bit of the stamping down on Corbs was to do with this.  Preventing this.  It tied in with stuff like the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, stuff that ordinary little cogs can do that really can pull down giant oppressive parts of the system.  We all need to remember, maybe all the misinformation and Sarkovian misdirection is too much for us, with our small facility and spare time allowance, to find our way through.  That may well be true.  But we can make simple choices, which, with our numbers, become landslides that change the world.  And we must do it, whether they destroy our leaders and our movements or not, we must continue to make choices that undermine and force positive change on, the system at every opportunity.  Every single minute of our existence we must do this.  This is the primary directive.

Twit 2

All good points. Sadly, it seems only a minority think and act like this. The majority are indifferent or cunts. They'll win, it's numbers. Apocalypse.

BlodwynPig

thenoise

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 23, 2020, 03:56:44 PM
I think even the most well-meaning posh cunt is simply incapable of grasping just what life is like for those of us in the serf class, and this can make them seem patronising and out of touch, even if they do ostensibly care for the less well off. The chai tea drinking, socially concerned liberal Guardian readers and the ex-army hang-em-and-flog-em Telegraph readers are often living next door to each other in the same streets in the same gentrified areas.

I think that sense of entitlement, that arrogance that comes from a privileged upbringing - even an unhappy one - never leaves people. If they end up living on the streets they are the ones who ask for fifty quid. Or they will assume some kind of leadership role among their fellow homeless, who are too working class guv to object.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thenoise on August 06, 2020, 07:18:27 AM
I think that sense of entitlement, that arrogance that comes from a privileged upbringing - even an unhappy one - never leaves people. If they end up living on the streets they are the ones who ask for fifty quid. Or they will assume some kind of leadership role among their fellow homeless, who are too working class guv to object.

"Excuse me, do you perhaps have a 1993 Chardonnay to go with this pea soup?"

Buelligan

I think you'll find that's pee soup, Sir.  May I suggest a Sauvignon Blanc?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on August 06, 2020, 09:43:09 AM
I think you'll find that's pee soup, Sir.  May I suggest a Sauvignon Blanc?

You know, you're absolutely right Jemima

falafel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 08:01:52 AM
"Excuse me, do you perhaps have a 1993 Chardonnay to go with this pea soup?"

1993 Chardonnay
I read The Guardian
Drown me

pcsjwgm

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1325015633692647430

The title of the article is now "Child labour is exploitation – but the household work I did as a child gave me life skills", but there's no note acknowledging the previous title (which is still in the URL).
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/06/child-labour-doesnt-have-to-be-exploitation-it-gave-me-life-skills

Sebastian Cobb

I posted that in the BBC thread because I forgot about this thread.

just pure shilling for big tobacco really

pancreas

More redundancies at Guardian appaz.

Ferris

Cuellar

I wonder Adrian Chiles will keep his fascinating column about nothing at all

jobotic

Yeah that's a great one.

In These Tumultuous Times I've Managed to Peel An Orange in One Piece.

As Covid Ravages the NHS I Remember How My Dad Liked Aniseed Balls

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on November 09, 2020, 02:16:10 PM

I hope they bin Hadley Freeman.

petril

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 04, 2020, 02:37:17 AM
My word what an idea, a guardian death meet up. When it finally goes up belly up we should have a meet which makes the 10th anniversary look like a half arsed shambles of an affair.

the drinking game will be:
1 drink for every accidental spelling mistake you make
2 drinks for every accidental spelling mistake someone else makes
down your drink, have another, move on to harder stuff, have a wild night, wake up and have about three mental, booze fuelled days where you remember nothing clearly, then attempt to get back to normal life only to find that post-dinner tin has set you off and thus you spiral through functioning into the deep spiral of the alcoholism and self hatred that prevents the desire to recover and locks you into a path of doom until you finally just fucking die, for every deliberate spelling mistake you make because lol grauniad lol innit amirite

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2020, 02:24:45 PM
I hope they bin Hadley Freeman.
sadly the core hacks like her will be the last to go

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2020, 02:00:46 PM
I posted that in the BBC thread because I forgot about this thread.

What the fuck is a "chief of party"? Is she in charge of the balloons?

EDIT: Hadley Freeman could totally get a cushy, better-paid job at the Times or Telegraph, I wouldn't be surprised if she's off soon.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2020, 02:28:49 PM
sadly the core hacks like her will be the last to go

Oh that reminds me, this was doing the rounds yesterday:

crankshaft

Quote from: Cuellar on November 09, 2020, 02:16:10 PM

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 02:18:52 PM
Yeah that's a great one.

In These Tumultuous Times I've Managed to Peel An Orange in One Piece.

As Covid Ravages the NHS I Remember How My Dad Liked Aniseed Balls

I've always found his column hard to dislike because a) it's about nothing, b) it's over before it starts, c) nobody gets hurt and d) I've always had a bit of a crush on our Adrian, even though I know he'd demand we watch football all the time.

jobotic

Yeah that's fair, and he goes a bit easier on the Corbyn crushing than the others.

Cuellar

But he only has that column because he is, inexplicably, going out with Viner isn't he? An insane situation all round.

idunnosomename

Haha that pass-agg Helen Lewis shit sums up the cosy centrist hugbox that is the guardian lashing out. As I said in the glinner thread, she's married to Jonathan Haynes the digital editor, shows what an incestuous den of melts it is

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2020, 02:54:41 PM
Haha that pass-agg Helen Lewis shit sums up the cosy centrist hugbox that is the guardian lashing out. As I said in the glinner thread, she's married to Jonathan Haynes the digital editor, shows what an incestuous den of melts it is

"Having a sandwich etc" did make me laugh I'm ashamed to say

idunnosomename

Well it's very Partridge really

Buelligan

Isn't that everyone that goes on twitter though[nb]Helen Lewis is on twitter, the blue-ticked cunt[/nb]?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2020, 02:54:41 PM

I think its good from time to time to prick the left when they drift too far into centrist tropes too.