Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: NoSleep on February 05, 2021, 10:11:26 AM
You've got to give them credit for trying, though.

I think you misspelled "punch them robustly in the fucking tits".

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 05, 2021, 10:10:05 AM
It was a lot harder to make it stick on Sanders though, with his being Jewish.

I remember that he was slandered as a misogynist after the old AS didn't stick? Lots of in depth analysis (and/or baseless supposition) of him not shaking specific people's hands and so forth.

And lest we forget the fictitious "Bernie Bros", an attack line so piss weak and self-congratulatory you can guarantee it came directly from the control room of the DNC.

phantom_power

That's the point I was making. They could see that AS was being used disingenuously against Bernie but not see the same being done to Jezza

Sebastian Cobb

They did it to Millibobs with limited success before they did it to Corbyn. It's basically a jazz standard now.

Buelligan

Just to let you people know, you can now subscribe to Tribune for £10 a year.  Got to be worth it.  https://tribunemag.co.uk/subscribe?code=CHRISTMAS2020

earl_sleek

Cheers for that Buelligan, I've subscribed.

Buelligan

Yay!  I think Ronan Burtenshaw's one of the best and the cover art is superb and supporting a sincere and intelligent left voice in a cacophony of written right wing wickedness is never a bad thing.  :)

BlodwynPig

I don't have time to read it - can I subscribe for someone else on here who maybe doesn't have the cash?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Buelligan on February 05, 2021, 11:24:04 AM
Just to let you people know, you can now subscribe to Tribune for £10 a year.  Got to be worth it.  https://tribunemag.co.uk/subscribe?code=CHRISTMAS2020
It's even better than that - I just went on the site and it's £1.

It makes me feel as though I'm going mad when people I'd consider not to be pricks, like Stewart Lee, ram their tongues right down Marina Hyde's posh, centrist crack. What are they seeing that I'm not seeing? Maybe I'm just blinded by my hatred of her politics. Maybe if I removed my left wing blinkers I too could enjoy her drivel/delightful wit.

Anyway, I enjoyed this tweet by Daniel Finn.
https://twitter.com/DanFinn95/status/1357758077857116161?s=19

pigamus

I don't really like the whole "music for people who don't like music" thing, but Marina Hyde is politics for people who don't like politics

Cuellar

She's politics for people who like Richard Osman.

idunnosomename

jesus that excerpt

OnlyFans
absolute boy
shat
WTF
meta-jab at "whimsical guardian columns"

I mean all she does is have an awareness of the internet. which is more than say, Hugo Rifkind can manage. but that apparently makes her the greatest pundit on Earth

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on February 05, 2021, 11:24:30 PM
She's politics for people who like Richard Osman.

oh but didn't you know, all centrists are really 'of the left'

holyzombiejesus

Ew, christ, I feel sick.

https://twitter.com/MichaelAHann/status/1357758149856550914

QuoteIt's so nice to have a turntable back up. The connection with what you're playing is so much more physical. The sense of ownership of the music becomes real. It is, palpably, different from streaming the same music, that emotional sense of "this is mine".

QuoteI also like the ceremony of unsleeping, placing and preparing the record. Feels like you are giving due respect to the artist's work.

QuoteYes. The sense of ritual. One of the things this time has been playing a load of unplayed records – sliding the needle on to fresh, unsullied vinyl is almost sensual.

Pink Gregory

Makes me ashamed to like records.  Yes we get it, it's nice to own things when everything else is rendered ephemeral by digital distribution, it's not a sex thing you boring middle aged bastard.

Buelligan

The Guardian do it to everything though.  They can't just enjoy music, it has to be a special, exclusive, experience.  When they write about food, drink, anything, their focus is almost always on making themselves and their readers more special, select, refined.  Great as a joke, laughable if serious.

If you think about it, ingraining and encouraging a sense of superiority in the middle class people in danger of supporting working class causes is a marvelous, subtle, wedge.

NoSleep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 06, 2021, 01:40:05 AM
Ew, christ, I feel sick.

Let's hope he start's feeling sick... This should really be in the fuck me I never knew that thread, because fuck me I've never heard this about vinyl before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=426&v=aZ2czFuIYmQ&feature=youtu.be

Paul Calf

You can add vinyl distortion and noise to digital recordings. There is no way in which vinyl recordings are 'better' than digital ones.

Admittedly you can't punch the 45 hole out and fuck the sensuous, sexy, gorgeous vinyl in its eye if you have a digital recording, but fetishising harmful, evironmentally disastrous consumer baubles is probably something we should move on from as a species.

Download it and buy a fucking fleshlight for fuck's sake.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 06, 2021, 01:40:05 AM
Ew, christ, I feel sick.

As an avid record collector for 30 years I remember meeting a younger Michael Hann at a student party - when he heard about my love of vinyl he called me a wanker and got all his mates to laugh at me. "Look at this dweeb - he doesn't even own a CD player". Twat.

king_tubby

Quote from: Oblomov Boblomov on February 05, 2021, 11:06:54 PM
It makes me feel as though I'm going mad when people I'd consider not to be pricks, like Stewart Lee, ram their tongues right down Marina Hyde's posh, centrist crack. What are they seeing that I'm not seeing? Maybe I'm just blinded by my hatred of her politics. Maybe if I removed my left wing blinkers I too could enjoy her drivel/delightful wit.

Anyway, I enjoyed this tweet by Daniel Finn.
https://twitter.com/DanFinn95/status/1357758077857116161?s=19

Oh no, not Stew as well? STEW! NO!

idunnosomename

Hope he leaves the jar of cum he produced writing that on top of his most valuable obscure EDM EPs and a workman knocks it over so they forever smell of cum and he cries his eyes out

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The whole self-aggrandising of vinyl, how there's this 'warm sound' and the crackles 'add authenticity' and 'really make you feel the culture in which the record was produced' has become the most boring hackneyed take one can have about it.

The product is unusually large these days and feels 'collectible', but if you also need propping up by pretending you're on the shirt-tails of some grand tradition of people in the know and require the mutual reinforcement of other drab 40 somethings in their office store-cupboard of a man-cave, you're probably better of finding a more fulfilling hobby.

If you actually just like plumping up your existing collection, enjoying listening to music via that medium and big album art that looks like it's been created for those who are poorly sighted, then go for it, relatively harmless pursuit.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 06, 2021, 12:15:21 PM
The whole self-aggrandising of vinyl, how there's this 'warm sound' and the crackles 'add authenticity' and 'really make you feel the culture in which the record was produced' has become the most boring hackneyed take one can have about it.

Of course the crackles were things you tried to avoid by being careful not get the thing dirty in the first place. And I took many records straight back to the shop, because they crackled from the out, for fresh copy. Sometimes the problem wasn't that it had been played before but something that had happened during manufacture. And that was when quality control in vinyl production was at its highest. The stuff that's made today doesn't come with similar guarantees (there's good and there's plenty of really shitty).

Vinyl was never the ultimate takeaway regards preference for analog sound: because of the compromises required to make the music fit the vinyl medium (this did improve slightly around the mid 70's). Recording and mastering to tape was another thing altogether (but unreliable stocks of fresh tape have pretty much knocked that on the head too).
I think most people's collective supposition that vinyl somehow sounds better than digital will have come from how inferior the first CDs sounded in comparison. Digital still had a long way to go.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 06, 2021, 12:12:45 PM
Hope he leaves the jar of cum he produced writing that on top of his most valuable obscure EDM EPs and a workman knocks it over so they forever smell of cum and he cries his eyes out

Awful prick

Paul Calf

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on February 06, 2021, 12:31:52 PM
Of course the crackles were things you tried to avoid by being careful not get the thing dirty in the first place. And I took many records straight back to the shop, because they crackled from the out, for fresh copy. Sometimes the problem wasn't that it had been played before but something that had happened during manufacture. And that was when quality control in vinyl production was at its highest. The stuff that's made today doesn't come with similar guarantees (there's good and there's plenty of really shitty).

Vinyl was never the ultimate takeaway regards preference for analog sound: because of the compromises required to make the music fit the vinyl medium (this did improve slightly around the mid 70's). Recording and mastering to tape was another thing altogether (but unreliable stocks of fresh tape have pretty much knocked that on the head too).
I think most people's collective supposition that vinyl somehow sounds better than digital will have come from how inferior the first CDs sounded in comparison. Digital still had a long way to go.

One of my favourite albums (Monads of Mangonia, a cassette release from the 80s) was remastered a few years ago by the guitarist of the band - removed all the noise and fixed drop outs etc. Prefer the original as it reminds me of my teens when I discovered UK festival music - the 'poorer' quality is like a good childhood memory - not complete, a bit woozy, but cherished. Not fussed about vinyl sounding pristine either. Certainly not an audiophile.

JaDanketies

I only listen to my albums of industrial noise and guitar feedback in lossless .flac.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 06, 2021, 03:22:51 PM
One of my favourite albums (Monads of Mangonia, a cassette release from the 80s) was remastered a few years ago by the guitarist of the band - removed all the noise and fixed drop outs etc. Prefer the original as it reminds me of my teens when I discovered UK festival music - the 'poorer' quality is like a good childhood memory - not complete, a bit woozy, but cherished. Not fussed about vinyl sounding pristine either. Certainly not an audiophile.

The first record I had was a copy of Revolver[nb]built a shelf for my records two days ago and listened to that very record, strangely enough[/nb] I found in the attic aged 13 or so. I remember how amazed I was that spinning an old bit of plastic made guitars and words come out of speakers. Still amazes me, to be honest.

Was hooked from then on, and because I started collecting in the early '00s when charity shops couldn't give 'em away (because we're all about mini-disks now, man) I could accumulate them for fuck all. Also the covers are massive and you can look at the artwork and read all the little bits in the gatefold.

I'm frustrated that collecting records has become the hobby de jour of cunts but them's the breaks.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2021, 04:03:46 PM
... because I started collecting in the early '00s when charity shops couldn't give 'em away (because we're all about mini-disks now, man) I could accumulate them for fuck all.

I feel a bit guilty for the charity shops but boy do I miss the days before people just donated vinyl collections and the shops sold them for 25p each or whatever with no internet for anyone to check how much they were worth or sell them. I remember by the mid-2000s some charity shops seemed to suddenly be charging a lot more, typically because they'd look up what a mint copy was worth online and price it accordingly, despite the fact their copy's sleeve was dog eared and had the original owner's name written on it in biro.