Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Are any of the supermarkets still doing vinyl? The first time I saw that I was gobsmacked-what sort of rube is paying £20+ for a (highly likely low quality) repress of Nevermind or Queen greatest hits? Most likely to then play it on one of those picnic platters available at the same point of sale? Like most folk of my generation I built up a record collection in the 90s because I couldn't afford to go CD, and you could pick up 70s stuff like Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren etc for £2-3 quid a pop. Similarly with gear- if you knew what to look for a high quality set up could be had from the car boot sale for peanuts, like the goldring TT I got for a tenner. These days I might buy a handful of records per year, it's a good go to if I can't decide what I want for my birthday - just ask the mrs to get me a nice copy of a loved LP off discogs.

If you want the true vinyl experience, try getting your own music pressed. Even in the 90s, sending masters off to Czech Republic (where the only affordable pressing plants were left), receiving unsatisfactory test pressings back, sending back detailed notes of all the problems, back and forth like that for weeks, fucking nightmare, still is.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on February 06, 2021, 05:25:06 PM
I feel a bit guilty for the charity shops but boy do I miss the days before people just donated vinyl collections and the shops sold them for 25p each or whatever with no internet for anyone to check how much they were worth or sell them. I remember by the mid-2000s some charity shops seemed to suddenly be charging a lot more, typically because they'd look up what a mint copy was worth online and price it accordingly, despite the fact their copy's sleeve was dog eared and had the original owner's name written on it in biro.

I sought out the records that had someone's name or doodlings on the cover (within reason) because I liked the idea of it being an artefact rather than a brand new thing from a shop, and they have a bit of character to them[nb]everyone on my copy of Led Zep II has a meticulous biro moustache that I found hilarious[/nb].

Also because those ones were usually in the 10p bin and you could get loads of them.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Rizla on February 06, 2021, 05:28:07 PM
Are any of the supermarkets still doing vinyl?

Yes, they are. In fact, Sainsburys started up their own label a bit ago, doing really nicely designed Bob Stanley-curated compilations.

https://www.discogs.com/label/1367012-Own-Label-2

Mobbd

Quote from: Rizla on February 06, 2021, 05:28:07 PM
Are any of the supermarkets still doing vinyl? The first time I saw that I was gobsmacked-what sort of rube is paying £20+ for a (highly likely low quality) repress of Nevermind or Queen greatest hits? Most likely to then play it on one of those picnic platters available at the same point of sale? Like most folk of my generation I built up a record collection in the 90s because I couldn't afford to go CD, and you could pick up 70s stuff like Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren etc for £2-3 quid a pop. Similarly with gear- if you knew what to look for a high quality set up could be had from the car boot sale for peanuts, like the goldring TT I got for a tenner. These days I might buy a handful of records per year, it's a good go to if I can't decide what I want for my birthday - just ask the mrs to get me a nice copy of a loved LP off discogs.

If you want the true vinyl experience, try getting your own music pressed. Even in the 90s, sending masters off to Czech Republic (where the only affordable pressing plants were left), receiving unsatisfactory test pressings back, sending back detailed notes of all the problems, back and forth like that for weeks, fucking nightmare, still is.

This should be over in Oscillations really but I don't like this sort of snobbery. If kids want to dance at home to older music on vinyl on a little Crosly Cruiser, let them have fun without sneering. It's good clean fun.

I started my first vinyl collection last year. NOT on a picnic platter (and I enjoyed setting things up properly), but I suspect some of the £20 records I've been buying like a patsy are digital transfers. The days of cheap vinyl are long gone.

Why go vinyl now? A longing for physicality, I suppose. A reaction against silicon valley/digital supremacy and the aesthetic nomansland and fiddly phone-jabbing that comes with that? CDs are a more economical but lesser way of doing this: shitty plastic clatter.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on February 06, 2021, 05:25:06 PM
I feel a bit guilty for the charity shops but boy do I miss the days before people just donated vinyl collections and the shops sold them for 25p each or whatever with no internet for anyone to check how much they were worth or sell them. I remember by the mid-2000s some charity shops seemed to suddenly be charging a lot more, typically because they'd look up what a mint copy was worth online and price it accordingly, despite the fact their copy's sleeve was dog eared and had the original owner's name written on it in biro.

Splurged my entire student loan (80 quid) at Fresher's week in 1994 on the Glastonbury Fayre '71 triple vinyl. Disappointed to see it's still selling for about the same price nowadays (A mint version would have fetched 300 quid when I bought it, but I got a discount because it was scuffed and I knew the seller from many record fairs).

Rizla

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2021, 05:33:01 PM
I sought out the records that had someone's name or doodlings on the cover (within reason) because I liked the idea of it being an artefact rather than a brand new thing from a shop, and they have a bit of character to them[nb]everyone on my copy of Led Zep II has a meticulous biro moustache that I found hilarious[/nb].

Also because those ones were usually in the 10p bin and you could get loads of them.
Yeah i like when someone's underlined their favourite track of marked them out of ten. Which reminds me of the other aspect of owning vinyl, having to sell when you're skint. I had a copy of MC5s Born In The USA which the previous owner had signed his own name on the cover (I bought a whole load of LPs from the same car boot stall and they all spotted his somewhat flamboyant John Hancock), and when I was forced to include it in a pile to be liquidated, the bloke in the shop just assumed it was one of the band and gave me £50 for it. It was on sale for a fiver the next week.

Ferris

Yeah I sold a fair amount of collectible stuff from my collection circa 2011 when I was stony broke (along with all my guitars, effects pedals, 2 amps, my microKORG etc etc). I'd love to say building back the collection has made me less sad about it and the paltry sum I received for doing so, but I'd be lying.

Quote from: Mobbd on February 06, 2021, 05:45:06 PM
Why go vinyl now? A longing for physicality, I suppose. A reaction against silicon valley/digital supremacy and the aesthetic nomansland and fiddly phone-jabbing that comes with that?

In the flatshare of my early 20s, we would have "analogue nights" which is basically board games and records only, phones in the other room and first person to look at theirs in the evening had to do the washing up and buy more wine or whatever.

It was a bit jokey (we weren't the phone gestapo), but also a nice concept. Must try something similar post covid.

Pink Gregory

my answer would be that I don't listen to music at my computer, I have CDs in the car and records on the main hi fi.

The Dog

I collect vinyls because of the unique way it sounds when I tell people about it.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 06, 2021, 11:14:34 PM
my answer would be that I don't listen to music at my computer, I have CDs in the car and records on the main hi fi.

There are these things called speakers that mean that you don't have to sit with your ear pressed against your laptop.

jobotic

"This is mine".

It's not for people like you that don't have a cellar done out with parquet flooring, hidden lighting and bespoke sliding shelves to store your precious vinyl in. You probably listen to music on your phone on the bus.

"This is mine". Destroy Corbyn.

Sebastian Cobb

Guardian gets a round-table of some people in the queer community on It's A Sin.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/10/its-a-sin-there-is-such-a-raw-truth-to-it

Includes Rev Richard Coles for some reason. You know, the guy who famously lied about having HIV for five years.

Dog Botherer

started a thread for this before i looked at the pinned threads because i am smart

Quote from: Dog Botherer on February 10, 2021, 06:16:29 PM
notorious fancy lad and decent writer Nathan Robinson binned for tweeting about israel in a non-fellating manner

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1359529602243297282?s=20

dunno if there's a standing thread for israel stuff or the guardian being cunts but it probably merits a thread in its own right.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2021, 06:09:39 PM
Guardian gets a round-table of some people in the queer community on It's A Sin.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/10/its-a-sin-there-is-such-a-raw-truth-to-it

Includes Rev Richard Coles for some reason. You know, the guy who famously lied about having HIV for five years.

Is Jones the leftie gay they bring out for these things?

pancreas

He is our representative. We voted for him at one of our HIV infection parties.

Leo2112

Buelligan

Oppressive controlling edit glitch removal happened here.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: The Dog on February 08, 2021, 09:39:29 AM
I collect vinyls because of the unique way it sounds when I tell people about it.

stealing this.  just so you know.

BlodwynPig

king_tubby

Hadley Freeman's written a hatchet job on Angelina Jolie.

Angelina Jolie has a trans kid and is 100% supportive.

Do you think these things may be related?

idunnosomename

didn't read it but lol

• Hadley Freeman and Tim Dowling will be in conversation on 25 February at 8pm. Find details and £5 tickets for their livestreamed event at membership.theguardian.com

• This article was amended on 13 February 2021. An earlier version named Jennifer Garner as "Jessica Garner", and erroneously stated that Angelina Jolie wore a vial of her brother's blood, rather than a vial of her then husband's blood.

Mobbd

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 14, 2021, 06:57:37 PM
• This article was amended on 13 February 2021. An earlier version named Jennifer Garner as "Jessica Garner", and erroneously stated that Angelina Jolie wore a vial of her brother's blood, rather than a vial of her then husband's blood.

I always love those corrections when considered out-of-context and this one's a smasher. I wonder what the copyright ramifications would be of putting together a massive book of them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Guardian actually fronting Jeremy Hunt now, and his article about NHS reorganisation.

This is appalling. All you have to do is be a Remainer these days, fuck if you were the neoliberal piece of shit that set the NHS on fire.

It really is becoming Dems vs Reps by the month.

Ferris

Kankurette

I don't buy vinyl because I have nothing to play it on.

Mobbd

Here's the Guardian's Oliver Burkeman praising the ramblings of a clearly unpleasant TERF: https://twitter.com/oliverburkeman/status/1363116012573495296

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mobbd on February 20, 2021, 06:24:07 PM
Here's the Guardian's Oliver Burkeman praising the ramblings of a clearly unpleasant TERF: https://twitter.com/oliverburkeman/status/1363116012573495296
Ugh. The article seems to believe disagreeing with a woman is as bad as hitting her. Learning the difference between reasonable criticism and outright abuse (whether as critic or criticised) is an essential part of civic society, and something you'd expect a Guardian writer to know.

Mobbd

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 20, 2021, 11:03:25 PM
Ugh. The article seems to believe disagreeing with a woman is as bad as hitting her. Learning the difference between reasonable criticism and outright abuse (whether as critic or criticised) is an essential part of civic society, and something you'd expect a Guardian writer to know.

Precisely. And, going on the examples of de-platforming she cites, the sort of thing a person might disagree with "a woman" about is that trans women are women.

It was weak sauce even before the TERF message came into focus.

Pretty disappointed with the Burkmesiter to be honest.