Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

alt.guardian.die.die.die

Started by pancreas, July 15, 2020, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 12:08:17 PM
Not 100%, but the question is whether there is a publication in the UK that has a higher percentage of reliable reportage?

Financial Times.

People use it to make money, so they do actually need the things they say to be true.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 12:08:17 PM
Not 100%, but the question is whether there is a publication in the UK that has a higher percentage of reliable reportage?

FT, Times and yes the Guardian if we are talking fact checked but the isn't the whole story.  Guardian is absolutely worth saving and reforming.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2020, 12:15:32 PM
More sides than a neckbeards die collection

I can do the bitchy stuff too btw

Marner and Me

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 09:50:18 AM
The Guardian is surely still the best source of actual journalism in the UK? If not then who?

If they just concentrated on reportage and sacked off the rancid opinion section I might consider chucking them a few quid.
Razzle

mr. logic

I get it delivered to my Kindle daily. I avoid the opinion and 'humor' columns, but I agree with the poster that pointed out it's valuable as a 'front page' news source. I also really like reading their book reviews on a Saturday, and will miss them.

chveik

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 16, 2020, 12:20:18 PM
Guardian is absolutely worth saving and reforming.

what sort of leverage do you have to reform it?

Puce Moment

Like the world of comedy, the Guardian is fucked because of its obsession with Oxbridge cunts. If they could diversify their employment practices they might find the quality of the paper improving, and the readership increasing.

The thought of people with little money donating to the Guardian makes me sick.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on July 16, 2020, 12:52:20 PM
what sort of leverage do you have to reform it?

As much leverage as you have in creating any worthwhile replacement

idunnosomename

Hadley - St Anne's
Marina - Christ Church
Nick - Hertford

Did any of these cunts go to Cambridge?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 16, 2020, 01:01:22 PM
Like the world of comedy, the Guardian is fucked because of its obsession with Oxbridge cunts. If they could diversify their employment practices they might find the quality of the paper improving, and the readership increasing.

Absolutely spot on with the Oxbridge obsession.  If you have little money then you should not be donating it to anything that cannot give you immediate benefit.

Things often seem they will never change because they are ingrained but things can change very quickly (in some cases too quickly) once by fear or favour ingrained resistance has been surmounted.  A model of the guardian supported by paying readers for example is more beholden to it readers (just like the Labour Party and it's subs) than it is to its advertising revenue or ever CEOs, you become kind pseudo-shareholders and with a feasible claim for representation.

There should be some comfort in dreaming of Nick Cohen begging people to become subscribers, after moaning about Miliband opening up the funding model for Labour, who eventually turn around and sack him.

pancreas

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 16, 2020, 01:10:06 PM
Hadley - St Anne's
Marina - Christ Church
Nick - Hertford

Did any of these cunts go to Cambridge?

Johann Hari went to King's College, Cambridge, if that helps at all. We all knew he was making everything up and were delighted when he got fucked.

Puce Moment

I've just gone back onto Facebook this week after coming off about three months ago. I can see a lot of my lefty academic friends on Facebook calling for money to be donated to that rag on the basis it is the last bastion of left-wing press/voice in the country. These are the same people posting videos of Yvette Copper 'eviscerating' Patel yesterday.

What a fucking centrist horrorshow.

pancreas

It's so unbelievably superficial. Can't they see that?

king_tubby

Remember when Dawn Watson wrote a column slagging off Tom Watson and then she was never asked to write anything else for them?

'Comment is Free' indeed.

Here's the HMV article mentioned in the second post.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/28/hmv-music-high-street-chains-record-shops

Sin Agog

Did Dawn Foster marry Tom Watson after writing that article?!

Was watching Gameswipe again t'other day and Watson was all over it defending video game violence.  He must be an alright sorta fellow that Tom Watson.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 16, 2020, 01:14:45 PM
Absolutely spot on with the Oxbridge obsession.  If you have little money then you should not be donating it to anything that cannot give you immediate benefit.

Things often seem they will never change because they are ingrained but things can change very quickly (in some cases too quickly) once by fear or favour ingrained resistance has been surmounted.  A model of the guardian supported by paying readers for example is more beholden to it readers (just like the Labour Party and it's subs) than it is to its advertising revenue or ever CEOs, you become kind pseudo-shareholders and with a feasible claim for representation.

There should be some comfort in dreaming of Nick Cohen begging people to become subscribers, after moaning about Miliband opening up the funding model for Labour, who eventually turn around and sack him.

Could it be that by contributing[nb]to their continued ability to abuse the Left[/nb] to them, if they get the numbers, they'll draw the (not unreasonable) conclusion that what they're doing's great.  Supporting them is enabling and encouraging this delusion.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 16, 2020, 01:39:52 PM
I've just gone back onto Facebook this week after coming off about three months ago. I can see a lot of my lefty academic friends on Facebook calling for money to be donated to that rag on the basis it is the last bastion of left-wing press/voice in the country. These are the same people posting videos of Yvette Copper 'eviscerating' Patel yesterday.

What a fucking centrist horrorshow.

Yes.

And I repeat, if it wasn't going to staunchly defend Labour when the chips were down then it isn't the last bastion at all, but an unreliable severely compromised entity that cared more about reversing the EU referendum and facilitating the UK security services wishes than securing a viable future for the left.

They superficially lent Labour their support but only in the most diluted tokenistic way and in full knowledge their real work had been done.

gilbertharding

Buelligan

I just listen to myself.  Literally endless stream of unfailingly solid good sense. 

NoSleep

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
I see your point, but as important as it is to read a diverse section of news it's also very useful to have a default news source that serves as your 'front page' for the news, and can be relied upon to report most things of consequence. The Guardian serves this purpose well. The London Review of Books is hardly going to become my main news source. I'm also not going to watch a 40-minute video of a bloke talking at the camera when the information could be much more succinctly delivered in prose.

But their idea of "news" would include reporting any old false claim against Corbyn without investigating its source or veracity; the news would be about false rumours echoing around the Guardian and BBC.

gilbertharding

Quote from: king_tubby on July 16, 2020, 03:24:23 PM
Remember when Dawn Foster wrote a column slagging off Tom Watson and then she was never asked to write anything else for them?

'Comment is Free' indeed.

According to her, she had her contract fully paid not to write anything else for them.

Fuck them right in the begging bowl I say.

king_tubby

Ha, well I'm glad she stiffed them for that.

But bloody hell.

Doomy Dwyer

The Guardian is pretty much full on vegan these days. The Guardian did a line with Lilly Allen at a silent disco at Glastonbury. The Guardian thinks Oatley is totally killing it these days. The Guardian is old enough to remember when. The Guardian is drinking at Brewdog ironically. The Guardian is drinking at Brewdog, ironically. The Guardian took ayahuasca with a shaman in Dollis Hill. The Guardian says it that it's just a relief to have the adults in charge again. The Guardian's black friend is actually its personal trainer. The Guardian has a limited edition School of Life tote bag with the words 'End Capitalism' stencilled on it that cost thirty-five pounds. The Guardian voted for Boris for mayor as 'a laugh'. The Guardian didn't vote for Boris for PM. It didn't. It didn't. It did. The Guardian comes free when you spend a tenner in Waitrose. The Daily Mail comes free when you spend a tenner in Waitrose. Gary Younge left The Guardian in January. Sam Wollaston says thanks for the sub.         

Neville Chamberlain

^ Karma etc

My 'let's skim the news before I go somewhere more in-depth' website is the Independent Online. Is this acceptable, or should I cancel myself and jump off a third-floor balcony?

I gave up on The Gurdaian about two decades ago.

chveik

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 16, 2020, 01:01:22 PM

A friend once got really annoyed when she found out the gigantic size of Alan Rusbridger's house, right when they first started asking for donations...

Pingers

At least Owen's tweet reminded me to subscribe to Novara Media, so it wasn't all in vain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on July 16, 2020, 04:50:48 PM
A friend once got really annoyed when she found out the gigantic size of Alan Rusbridger's house, right when they first started asking for donations...

Didn't like Rusbridger for many reasons but Nick Davies gives a really glowing account of what a rock he was during the hacking scandal in his book Hack Attack (which is still electric reading). So many occasions when the paper could have rolled back. And all for a victory they knew would be very brief and ultimately (as predicted in his book) for nothing. Whatever else Rusbridger did, they took on one of the pillars of the establishment and blew a hole in their defences. It is a shame such a cosy media stooge like Cameron inherited the Leveson report.

Mister Six

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 16, 2020, 11:24:43 AM
After big leftist push on twitter yesterday, the usually suspects are largely missing from comment pages (I think it's just Kettle, Behr and Hinscliff in any prominent position), maybe this isn't just opportunism (yes i know it probably is) but a tiny bit of evidence of change.

Probably just coincidence. Op-eds will be commissioned well in advance of publication.

king_tubby

Does Rusbridger's daughter still write for the paper under another name?