Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The lo-fi/hypnagogic pop thread

Started by spaghetamine, July 15, 2020, 09:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaghetamine

I know this is one of those bullshit music blog terms that doesn't really mean anything but I love so much stuff that ostensibly falls under this umbrella and statistically at least one other person on this board does. I'm a sucker for low fidelity recording, done well (or not done well at all ) it can add such a unique emotional quality to the music. At its best it makes me feel like I am making sweet sweet love to a beach babe whilst dissolving into radio static as we both get sucked into a jet turbine. Please share your love of all things laden with warble and hiss. I have attached some of my favorites below.

Lamborghini Crystal - Alien in Hollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfX2TS03dFs

Outer Limits Recordings - Driving At Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxg_kI9gVns

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Gray Sunset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQTOCJ5bSc

BlodwynPig

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: spaghetamine on July 15, 2020, 09:19:59 PM
I know this is one of those bullshit music blog terms that doesn't really mean anything but I love so much stuff that ostensibly falls under this umbrella and statistically at least one other person on this board does. I'm a sucker for low fidelity recording, done well (or not done well at all ) it can add such a unique emotional quality to the music. At its best it makes me feel like I am making sweet sweet love to a beach babe whilst dissolving into radio static as we both get sucked into a jet turbine. Please share your love of all things laden with warble and hiss. I have attached some of my favorites below.

I've enjoyed many a James Ferraro recording, but for some reason was unaware of Lamborghini Crystal. I like that it sounds like outsider music LPs being played at random speeds, recorded on one of those old handheld tape players from across the room.

BlodwynPig

I love Ferraro but this Lamborghini stuff is not that interesting, sadly

Gregory Torso

There was a lot of this sort of stuff around about 7 or 8 or 11 years ago, lots of tapes being released into rivers and wells, orchestras of furniture all scraping across floors, each squeaking chairleg an arm of a movement. Lots of static-riven beard-focussed wavering gimps on old televisions doing the carol smiley pelvic flaw slipmat boogie. All inclusive quilt buffets, guitars strung with cats whiskers, acrylic paint headache blues. A scene anyone could join. I really miss(ed) it.

Blanche Blanche Blanche - She's Adopted was a hit in the yurts. I remember it coming through on snow patch broadband, from pine cone speakers as we swam in the mcflurry quarry against father's wishes.

SLEEP ∞ OVER - Outer Limits is just the sound of true love leaving, exiting all pores like a runny egg illness chaser, the legerdemain of young lust. Picture a girl jumping on a bed and knowing you will never get into her pyjamas.

oOoOO - No Shore and who shall separate us as we are torn and stitched up again, as we freeze over some hell fall, in holy manacled matrimony. Death is only the end. Go to the North Sea and slip between its coal-black cold black freezing sheets.

Enhet För Fri Musik - När Ska Min Själ Finna Ro, actual real time hours of this sort of stuff, a beer drunk silver birch dryad serenading you channeling the ghosts of islaja and lau nau up through the dead leaf mulch carpet.

DJ Yo Yo Dieting - Dormant Mirrors, cough syrup toupee, burgundy dripper, isolation float tank sex with a biggie smalls homonculus, nate dogg's rap sheet as read by a smoke detector.

Dirty Beaches - Lord Knows Best, Vega with the lid off, singed-lipped piping live from the burnt out chassis of a ford centipede.

Maria Minerva - Ruff Trade, sunrise hotel room Tallinn 2006, proper soul kiss, burrito plushie gimp fest downstairs, a filthy lobby and twelve broken teeth.

Imperial Topaz - Moonlight Mind, in the town of Stow West, I remember the Skelton sisters, four of them, nonpareil beauties, made your eyes scream, pret a manger with the crust off. Phoebe worked on the cold meat counter at Bruised Temple Preceptory, the same time I was doing my cormorant fisherman apprenticeship. It didn't work out of course, the girl or the fishing. She tried to drown herself in an ornamental goose bath if i remember rightly, and that didn't work out either.

Gary War - Reality Protest, this came down the cans from Ulceby Skitter, made by gary for gary, a war against reality, twenty benson and hedges and godley and creme eggs.

Tamaryn - Long Time Surrender, way off remit by now, just posting, feeling deep blue tiffany gloom shine of cursed diamonds, drowning, the lump in my heart getting worse by the minute, dorothy perkins and laura ashley wrestling naked in the badger pit of my dying brain. god help me. or something.

jobotic

Cor looking forward to going through those. Have heard of three of 'em!

Brother is a big Dirty Beaches fan.

spaghetamine

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 16, 2020, 10:58:17 AM

Gary War - Reality Protest, this came down the cans from Ulceby Skitter, made by gary for gary, a war against reality, twenty benson and hedges and godley and creme eggs.

I've since become a big fan of his but annoyingly I missed out on seeing Gary live when he was supporting John Maus as I arrived too late because I was getting a kebab.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: spaghetamine on July 16, 2020, 11:13:49 AM
I've since become a big fan of his but annoyingly I missed out on seeing Gary live when he was supporting John Maus as I arrived too late because I was getting a kebab.

Maria Minerva offered to meet me in London to give me a copy of her new record personally, but I couldn't get out of work...

spaghetamine

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2020, 11:19:38 AM
Maria Minerva offered to meet me in London to give me a copy of her new record personally, but I couldn't get out of work...

I bet she did, dirty old bollox etc.

Sebastian Cobb

There was a lot of this sort of stuff around about 7 or 8 or 11 years ago

One I really liked from that era was Altar Eagle's (formerly Corsican Paintbrush) Mechanical Gardens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7sGZx6xbMc

Not quite the same thing, but a bit lowfi I guess, I've just discovered moody Belarusian synthpop group Molchat Doma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8tT3zPK4fM

boki

This kinda sounds like being drowned and I don't know how to feel about it.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 12:35:27 PM
One I really liked from that era was Altar Eagle's (formerly Corsican Paintbrush) Mechanical Gardens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7sGZx6xbMc

This is ace.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm going from memory and some of this might not be lo-fi, I'm trying to think of one specific project that might've involved a breakcore musican, possible Aaron Spectre but I can't rememeber what now.

Arc Lab - No Spectre
Bitcrush - Epilogue in Waves / Shimmer and Fade

Famous Mortimer

Outer Limits Recordings - Driving At Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxg_kI9gVns
I like this much better, and it turns out it's the bloke from Test Icicles, and he's dead. I need to pay more attention to things.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 01:15:53 PM
I'm going from memory and some of this might not be lo-fi, I'm trying to think of one specific project that might've involved a breakcore musican, possible Aaron Spectre but I can't rememeber what now.

Arc Lab - No Spectre
Bitcrush - Epilogue in Waves / Shimmer and Fade

well this has taken me on an afternoon journey of hanging around in Soulseek's IDM room and downloading lots of laid back stuff in the mid 2000's.

Epilogue in Waves is what I was thinking of I think.

spaghetamine

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 16, 2020, 01:39:54 PM
I like this much better, and it turns out it's the bloke from Test Icicles, and he's dead. I need to pay more attention to things.

Yep, suicide at 31. He was incredibly talented and very prolific, the whole thing is such a fucking shame.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 03:00:37 PM
Epilogue in Waves is what I was thinking of I think.
Just went on the Discogs page for this album, and the video on the side was for "What Would Hope Be Without Disappointment". Excellent stuff, even if I wish it had been a bit less Godspeed You Black Emperor-y (although I compare everything that sounds like that to them, so it may just be my ears).

Famous Mortimer

DJ Yo Yo Dieting - Dormant Mirrors, cough syrup toupee, burgundy dripper, isolation float tank sex with a biggie smalls homonculus, nate dogg's rap sheet as read by a smoke detector.
This is a banger, too. Don't know why it all passed me by.

Famous Mortimer

Playing more DJ Yo-Yo Dieting, and it seems really different to a lot of the other things discussed in this thread. More chopped & screwed (and then screwed a few more times) than, say, Lamborghini Crystal. But it's really good, though, so I'd definitely recommend it / him to anyone.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 24, 2020, 03:24:14 PM
Playing more DJ Yo-Yo Dieting, and it seems really different to a lot of the other things discussed in this thread. More chopped & screwed (and then screwed a few more times) than, say, Lamborghini Crystal. But it's really good, though, so I'd definitely recommend it / him to anyone.

Yeh I just thought it fit into the whole hypnagogic/hypnopompic bleary lo fidelity feeling of the thread, and really love it. I would also recommend Moms Who Chop and Indignant Senility, both sobriquets of the ultra Robitussin dead bird box flyweight bee catcher mister Pat Maher.

hip hop as heard from the bottom of the swimming pool you are drowning in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k203EXAAHd8&list=PLzE57-EGhxwKnLP1zYddPfKIdx3uNZBdp&index=3