Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry pet food

Started by Dewt, July 15, 2020, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on July 16, 2020, 01:22:36 AM
That sounds very informed but what if you accidentally put the cat in the grinder instead of the bones, hmm? If you haven't thought about basic things like that then I can't take you seriously.

The cat is always up on the counter when we're grinding cos of the meaty smell. I tell him if he gets too close to the business end that that's his lookout and I shan't mourn.

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 16, 2020, 01:16:49 AM
Another vote for the turd quality improver. I said in another thread recently that our dog doesn't smell out the house nor does his shites reek, which I think is almost exclusively down to his low gluten diet. If you come across a dog with soft, foul turds then odds are it is being given a cheap supermarket diet. "Cheap" being a relative term because it would cost us more to feed our boys on tinned supermarket foods.

Yes - dog-wise quality dry food gives 3 or 4 on the Bristol Stool scale[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale#/media/File:BristolStoolChart_(cropped).png[/nb] whereas wet food consistently goes more towards a 6.

You know what will give you a 7+ but delivered like a fire extinguisher going off? That big bag of offal I was once given.

Brian Freeze

Ive just gagged while remembering feeding tinned Chappie to a neighbours dog. I think they cut out the middle man so to speak and just canned rancid arse gravy knowing that's the end product anway.

imitationleather

A while back my girlfriend imported a load of european wet food she'd read about on mad cat lady forums that came in grim-looking tins. Y'know, the sort of stuff you see in supermarkets when you go on holiday that turns your stomach due to the poor label design. It was really fucking expensive but fortunately our cats didn't like it.

Now they get fed Almo Nature wet food and Applaws biscuits. Still probably expensive and needlessly fancy for thse no-breed black and white common as muck cats, but I guess since we have them instead of children a little bit o' expense is okay.

They had a water fountain and loved it, but we had to take it away because our male cat kept pushing it over the fucking dickhead.

paruses

Quote from: imitationleather on July 16, 2020, 07:25:39 AM
A while back my girlfriend imported a load of european wet food she'd read about on mad cat lady forums that came in grim-looking tins. Y'know, the sort of stuff you see in supermarkets when you go on holiday that turns your stomach due to the poor label design. It was really fucking expensive but fortunately our cats didn't like it.

Blue Rat?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 16, 2020, 07:23:36 AM
Ive just gagged while remembering feeding tinned Chappie to a neighbours dog. I think they cut out the middle man so to speak and just canned rancid arse gravy knowing that's the end product anway.

Bonio did that with my housemate's dog, we only got it if we'd ran out of everything else, but it was just like you'd mixed up half a pint of colemans powdered mustard.

Do the classic look at the puddle of wet shit on the ground, look at the dog poo bag in your hand and realise it's just not going to work is it?

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 10:10:33 PM
Dogs will eat any old shit though..

Dogs will eat shit. Even cat shit. It's the only thing I don't like about them.

My mog has a mixture of dry and wet stuff. With a bit of fresh meat most days too. That was interesting, wasn't it?

tao of wub

This should give you some info, an analysis of mineral nutriets in cat and dog food, published in Nature.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17159-7

For what it is worth, here is the UK link to standards on animal feeds, which is currently an EU wide legislation.[nb]I know your not in UK[/nb]

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/animal-feed-legislation

After the b word happens, animal feed will probably be made of:

1/3 Hormones and antibiotics
1/3 Prions and bacterial pus
1/3 John Gummer's organs

I also believe wet food = tooth problems.  Its all sweet jelly crap in there.  I never eat it personally!

Sebastian Cobb

have any of you rich bastards got one of them robot cat litter trays then?

tao of wub

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 12:27:13 PM

That is a bit decadent.  I didn't even know they existed.

I have seen pictures of when a Roomba tries to sweep up a wet turd though and covers your home in shit.  Tricky bastards these robots

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 12:27:13 PM

Things like that are fine until something goes wrong and you have to clear up the trouble. That will make you long for the days of simply tipping a tray over into the bin twice a week. We kept next door's cats for a few months while they sold their house. They had one that raked the shits into a hopper when the cat jumped out.

Been trying to talk my daughter into buying one of those backyard dogshit roombas for their house so they can experience this at some point.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jockice on July 16, 2020, 11:32:42 AM
Dogs will eat shit. Even cat shit. It's the only thing I don't like about them.

My mog has a mixture of dry and wet stuff. With a bit of fresh meat most days too. That was interesting, wasn't it?
i think theres something in cat food these days that dogs can smell in cat turds because man do they love them

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2020, 10:10:33 PMDogs will eat any old shit though

Mine wouldn't. The resident Cavalier King Charles Spangle at my local pub is also a discerning little fucker.

Quote from: tao of wub on July 16, 2020, 12:38:01 PM
I have seen pictures of when a Roomba tries to sweep up a wet turd though and covers your home in shit.  Tricky bastards these robots

I once saw a photo of the devastation left by a Roomba in this situation. The Roomba had drawn a pentagram of dog poo on the carpet and the two cute Cavalier King Charles Spangles next to it looked like they were performing a Satanic ritual.

Would love a Roomba but would love a dog more and I don't want both. I'll get my fix of robotic decadence by buying an iFetch instead.

bgmnts

When I was in Nepal I was sitting on a wicker chair, outside a coffee van, watching a mutt guard a big piece of slimy, reddish dogshit from the attentions of birds, either that or he was using his shit to lure the birds in to kill.

A bird would land close to him and it would chase it, while another bird would sneakily grab a beakful of lovely poo.

After a while, and losing about half the faeces this way, the dog got bored and just wolfed down the shit.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2020, 12:57:04 PM
I once saw a photo of the devastation left by a Roomba in this situation. The Roomba had drawn a pentagram of dog poo on the carpet and the two cute Cavalier King Charles Spangles next to it looked like they were performing a Satanic ritual.
all the best satanists blame it on the Roomba

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 16, 2020, 12:49:31 PM
Things like that are fine until something goes wrong and you have to clear up the trouble. That will make you long for the days of simply tipping a tray over into the bin twice a week. We kept next door's cats for a few months while they sold their house. They had one that raked the shits into a hopper when the cat jumped out.

This is what I don't understand about them. Presumably you have to empty them by tipping a hopper or tray of shit and grit into a bin, so what is it doing that an 'analogue' tray isn't? They cost about 400 quid.

I reckon you can get rid of the robot that picks up dog shit if you get a robot lawnmower, flymo's just tend to chop it up and mix it in with the grass clippings so it's no longer a problem, I advise you keep your lips tightly shut while mowing, mind.

You could try feeding your cats (and/or dogs) water-packed tuna. When my dog got a bit picky with tinned food a while back, I started buying chicken thighs from the supermarket, roasting them and dishing them up with mixer. He loved the chicken but it gave him the squits, which the vet put down to sensitivity to grains (it's apparently a thing).

On the vet's advice I now give him dry, grain-free food, which I mix with half a can of the aforementioned water-packed tuna. I was assuming tuna to be still caught wild and not farmed so won't have additives (other than plastic and heavy metals). He wolfs the tuna down and his turds are now generally very pick upable.

Sebastian Cobb

A vet told us if the dog is a bit runny white rice can help. Boiled eggs can help as well but it makes their guffs horrendous.

EOLAN

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 15, 2020, 11:07:59 PM
Problem with that is they tend to bring the corpses indoors as a little present for you.

Yep - my childhood cat only did it once with a crow - on my birthday. I felt very honored by how thoughtful he was.

Dewt

I had the robot litter tray because of course I did

It *was* good, for my dear last cat. It immediately became double plus ungood with one of my current cats because he has a difficult time shitting where he is supposed to at the best of times, let alone in a tumbling space age cat toilet

Sebastian Cobb

But really, why get a robot to do that when you can follow Charles Mingus' advice and train your cat to use the actual bog?

https://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/mingus/cat-traning-program?utm_content=buffer97a50

Dewt

Charles Mingus' cat wasn't a charming idiot like one of mine

Pingers

Daily Mash headline from when it was funny: "Cat will eat rat but not new type of cat food". My question is, are there any cats that don't like tuna, because it appears to function as crack for cats. If I open any can, my cat is there at my feet in seconds. Last time I bent down and showed him it was just kidney beans and he started lapping at the water, the dirty bastard.

idunnosomename

catnip is crack for cats. or cocaine.

imitationleather

Scampi Fries are Dreamies for me.

mobias

I had one of those electric drinking fountains for the cats here. I found it a faff to keep clean and you have to buy replacement filters for it. I had much more success with a few of large bowls of water dotted throughout the house. I use large glass dishes meant for cooking. Cats like fresh water so a large dish of water will stay fresher longer if you forget to change it for a day or so.  A top tip is always keep the cats water separate from its food. Don't put the bowls close together. Partly to stop the cat getting food in its fresh water and partly because cats smell water but the smell is very subtle to them. The stronger smell of its food will mask it.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2020, 01:40:24 PM
This is what I don't understand about them. Presumably you have to empty them by tipping a hopper or tray of shit and grit into a bin, so what is it doing that an 'analogue' tray isn't? They cost about 400 quid.

I had one too. With a normal tray you have to scoop out the turds and clumped litter everyday. Or you can replace it daily but that gets expensive. The robot basically saves you that chore.

It seems mad that I got one now thinking back to it. I did at least get it second hand.

flotemysost

I'm looking after a dog at the moment (well, my flatmate is) and the feeding instructions are to scoop kibble into what looks like a hollowed-out ribbed butt plug, and hide it somewhere in the flat for her to find.

Less messy than tinned food (and in this weather there's the risk of flies laying eggs in wet leftovers - always used to happen with my cats' bowls in the summer) and gives her something to do.

Quote from: Pingers on July 17, 2020, 11:49:14 AM
Daily Mash headline from when it was funny: "Cat will eat rat but not new type of cat food". My question is, are there any cats that don't like tuna, because it appears to function as crack for cats. If I open any can, my cat is there at my feet in seconds. Last time I bent down and showed him it was just kidney beans and he started lapping at the water, the dirty bastard.

There used to be a homeless guy who'd sit in the entrance to my Tube station who had a beautiful cat, and whenever I asked if I could buy anything to eat/drink for either of them, it was always tuna for the cat. She really liked those little plastic John West tubs (not very green I know, but a sharp tin edge could probably do some damage to an enthusiastic kitty muzzle).

paruses

Quote from: flotemysost on July 18, 2020, 03:29:02 PM
I'm looking after a dog at the moment (well, my flatmate is) and the feeding instructions are to scoop kibble into what looks like a hollowed-out ribbed butt plug, and hide it somewhere in the flat for her to find.

The fact that those things are called a "Kong" has always made me think that the company making them really wanted to hedge their bets as to which use was going to take off. Bit like that massager that Braun (?) make.

Sebastian Cobb

Hitachi make the go-to "massager" I believe.

I'm not sure about this hiding dog's dinners though. If someone told me they'd me a bang-up dinner but I had to find it I'd throw them out the window.