Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the hell happened to Popeye?

Started by Virgo76, July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

A random thought. Has Popeye vanished off the face of the Earth?
I was never a huge fan but do remember having a t-shirt with him on as a kid in the 1980s. Everyone knew him then. Do children even know who he is these days? I suspect not. I doubt it's on.
I don't remember it being overtly racist or anything (I may be completely wrong here) but looking back, it does seem a bit odd and old fashioned.
'Popeye' is not a nice nickname to give anyone and I have vague memories of some weird giant zombie characters wearing dresses. What the hell was all that about?
He seems to have vanished while I was looking elsewhere.
Did the Robin Williams film finish him off?

imitationleather

Last I heard he'd opened a chain of chicken shops in America.

DrGreggles

His friends held an intervention to try to help him with his spinach addiction.

steve98

I haven't looked into it in any detail, but my gut tells me he disappeared around the time the ditty "I'm Popeye the sailor-man, and this is my boyfriend Dan..." appeared. Make of that, etc.

Replies From View

I recall seeing glimpses of some 3D CGI animation of Popeye, so I was going to say he's still going but I forget they've been doing CGI cartoons for at least two decades by this point.

Does look more recent than 2000 though.

Replies From View

Quote from: steve98 on July 16, 2020, 08:02:39 AM
I haven't looked into it in any detail, but my gut tells me he disappeared around the time the ditty "I'm Popeye the sailor-man, and this is my boyfriend Dan..." appeared. Make of that, etc.

In the late 80s we sang about him living in a caravan that had a hole in the middle where he did his widdle.

I pictured it as a hole in the middle of the floor of his caravan and the widdling process being quite an upheaval.  Needing to lie down flat on the floor, face down, cock out, and piss into this narrow hole and I later imagined that the hole was essentially a test tube inside so all the piss was spurting up around the inside of the caravan, as well as forcing his cock out of the tube with the sheer pressure of it.  Just piss in a beaker Popeye mate.

Don't know if the scenario ever made its way into the cartoons.  Most likely would have been in Popeye and Son if anything.

Say what you like about Popeye but he never skipped forearm day. No wonder Bluto was always getting slaughtered.

Operty1

Popeye was a bit rapey though wasn't it? Wasn't the premise of most of the episodes that Popeye had to save Olive from Bluto's unwanted advances? Bluto was always trying to drag Olive off to his shack with her screaming 'help me Popeye'. What was going to happen if Popeye failed?

imitationleather

Eh, it was fine. A bit gritty, maybe. It was basically the plot of every Super Mario game but set in The Wire season 2.

Virgo76

I used to think Bluto was called 'Pluto' for many years.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
As you can imagine, I was quite confused to learn he had been reclassified as a dwarf planet.

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM
I have vague memories of some weird giant zombie characters wearing dresses. What the hell was all that about?

Alice The Goon - she loves Popeye.

Wet Blanket

You don't really see short cartoons of any description on TV anymore. Well into the 90s you might still be pleasantly surprised by a Foghorn Leghorn or Tom and Jerry cartoon popping up somewhere to fill five minutes.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2020, 08:16:55 AM
In the late 80s we sang about him living in a caravan that had a hole in the middle where he did his widdle.

The caravan is familiar, but by the early 90s Popeye was off to go swimmin' to look at the women.

Virgo76

Quote from: Operty1 on July 16, 2020, 08:37:14 AM
Popeye was a bit rapey though wasn't it? Wasn't the premise of most of the episodes that Popeye had to save Olive from Bluto's unwanted advances? Bluto was always trying to drag Olive off to his shack with her screaming 'help me Popeye'. What was going to happen if Popeye failed?

He was going to rape her. Didn't you see that episode?

SavageHedgehog

This is going to sound incredible but one time I was somehow given control of Popeye's body to ensure he reached the top of a set of stairs. Despite Olive Oil encouraging us at the top throwing us hearts we didn't make it. We were somehow given three chances but Bluto stopped us each time. So I'm afraid I'm partly responsible for Popeye's death.

There was a YouTube series called Popeye's Island Adventures a couple of years ago. Watched the first one but it was really boring and I couldn't be bothered with any more.

Not to sound all gammon, but when you inject Popeye with modern day sensibilities, you haven't really got Popeye any more. The entire premise is that it's two men fighting over a woman who they believe to be their property. Without that, you might as well be making something else.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 16, 2020, 08:48:54 AM
You don't really see short cartoons of any description on TV anymore. Well into the 90s you might still be pleasantly surprised by a Foghorn Leghorn or Tom and Jerry cartoon popping up somewhere to fill five minutes.

The kids have their own channels now, so the thinking is that it's pointless putting cartoons on the main channels. Personally, I'd rather see Daffy Duck than a five minute clip of Coast.

SavageHedgehog

Sadly even Boomerang doesn't really play this kind of stuff any more, except for Tom & Jerry.

Dayraven

Popeye isn't quite the origin of the word 'goon', but it's mostly responsible for popularising it. 'Jeep' too.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2020, 08:13:14 AM
I recall seeing glimpses of some 3D CGI animation of Popeye, so I was going to say he's still going but I forget they've been doing CGI cartoons for at least two decades by this point.

ReBoot started in 1994, and even at that time the technology was advanced and photorealistic enough it was hard to tell apart from live action.

There was also the Money for Nothing music video, so maybe what's happened to Popeye is he's played his guitar on the MTV and ranted about faggots in earrings and makeup and got himself cancelled.

ollyboro

I think that episode when he dressed up as Santa and kicked the fuck out of a black geezer, whilst accusing the poor cunt of having poor pedial hygiene in Poughkeepsie probably got the cunt cancelled.

touchingcloth

What happened is he invited an actor auditioning as the new Olive Oyl to his hotel room and started saying "well blows me down" while winking and huffing down spinach so that his muscles and cock did that weird bulging thing. Cancelled.

notjosh

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2020, 08:16:55 AM

Never heard that, but it would explain why if often became chilly in the caravan, prompting Popeye to play with a private part which I won't identify, out of respect.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on July 16, 2020, 08:59:20 AM
The caravan is familiar, but by the early 90s Popeye was off to go swimmin' to look at the women.

Not to mention sleeping with his granny and tickling her fanny.

The version I remember from school was;

He's Popeye the sailor man,
He lives in a caravan,
And when he goes swimming,
He touches up the women,
He's Popeye the sailor man.

The Culture Bunker

My (junior) school's version was the same two first lines, except in the first person, but then:

And when I get silly
I whip out my willy
I'm Popeye the sailor man.

Wet Blanket

He took out his willy to seef it was chilly at my school

Jittlebags

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 16, 2020, 10:18:52 AM
He took out his willy to seef it was chilly at my school

What about Popeye though?

notjosh

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 16, 2020, 10:01:56 AM
He's Popeye the sailor man,
He lives in a caravan,
And when he goes swimming,
He touches up the women,
He's Popeye the sailor man.

He just kissed them (all of them) in our version, not sure how yours would scan. Also, we always sung these in the first person. For the vicarious thrill I suppose.

famethrowa

I had it on good authority that he lived in a dunny can.