Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the hell happened to Popeye?

Started by Virgo76, July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Around our way over that last decade there's been various ice cream vans: I'm Popeye The Sailor Man, Just One Cornetto, Match Of The Day Theme and most recently, Oh Oh Antonio.

I heard one of them (Popeye I think) only last week.  ("It's the Covid Man" were my thoughts at the time.)

SavageHedgehog

My van plays Anchors Away, presumably for all those kids out there with Gene n' Jerry fever.

ollyboro

My local ice-cream van plays the coda to the Jim'll Fix It theme tune.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: ollyboro on July 19, 2020, 09:16:00 AM

And then performs a drive-by shooting?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on July 18, 2020, 10:47:47 AM
Is he the only kids cartoon character to have visible tattoos?
When I visited my cousin a while back, her kid was watching a Disney animated film set in the Pacific islands that had a character, voiced by Dwayne Johnson, with plenty of tattoos.

Snake from the Simpsons too, I guess, though that's not really "just" a cartoon for children. 

SavageHedgehog

Crash Bandicoot had tats for a while, but I guess he must have got them removed.

the Jim'll Fix It theme tune.

I bet the chorus is now sung sarcastically in the future tense by gangsters making veiled threats.

petril

bet the cunt knows exactly what happened to Ba Ba-ba

idunnosomename

this thread has more layers than a Viennetta

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 19, 2020, 07:44:46 PM
I bet the chorus is now sung sarcastically in the future tense by gangsters making veiled threats.

Future perfect, I'd hope.

Replies From View

Popeye:  I will have been what I will have been

dr_christian_troy

If Popeye was made into a CGI film with a massive budget and very little fucking return in the box office:

- who should voice him?
- who would voice him?

Should: I dunno, someone like Billy West
Would: Probably Matthew McConaughey or some bollocks

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2020, 10:36:36 AM
Popeye:  I will have been what I will have been

I think it's jolly nice of RFV to give an example of the Future Perfect for all the boys and girls of CaB out there who are also thick cunts when it comes to grammar.

Replies From View

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 07:14:57 PM
I think it's jolly nice of RFV to give an example of the Future Perfect for all the boys and girls of CaB out there who are also thick cunts when it comes to grammar.

It was more an attempt to render "I am what I am" in future perfect to see whether it would be funny.

It's always an attempt to be funny and always just pisses people off instead.

When I joined CaB, after a few months everyone was telling me I was ruining General Bullshit.  Recently I was told in a CaB zoom meet that my posts in HS Art were making that subforum worse, so guess what - I've stopped starting new threads there.

I use CaB as my therapy; I purge myself of loads of my stupidest thoughts here and consequently I post loads of shit stuff, but the polite reminders that I ruin a great thing always counteract the therapeutic value of trying to be myself, relax and just find equilibrium amongst like-minded people.  I'm always reminded that there are standards and relaxing is inappropriate.

This isn't meant to be an announcement or anything, but I'm in a weak place at the moment and will probably be taking a break from CaB for a while as, if I am being responsible and sensitive to what others are wanting from CaB, I know this can't be my therapy.

Pingers

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. I'm happy for you to keep posting, I find you a reassuring presence on here. I figured some of your posts were a way of emptying your head of stuff, but isn't that why everyone posts? It's not like any of us have got essential stuff to say, we post it rather than keep it in our heads because... well, we want to, don't we? I'm not sure it matters why we want to (unless it's to make other people unhappy)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Your attempts to be funny are generally successful, and I, personally, am a big fan of your posts on H S Art, which actually demonstrate a higher calibre of enjoyable daftness for that place than is necessary. I wouldn't say you " post loads of shit stuff".

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a weak place at the moment, and I hope you get out of that weak place as soon as possible. If part of doing so means taking a break from 'ere, then so be it, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one who would miss your presence. Also, don't take the post I done made what you quoted  to heart, there was no malice in it at all. Think I might give up making those sort of posts, it always bothers me when folk take them the wrong way.

We used to have an ice cream van round are way that played " The Liberty Bell" ( The famous Monty Python theme), y'know.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on July 18, 2020, 10:47:47 AM
Is he the only kids cartoon character to have visible tattoos?
One of the Smurfs had a tatt.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Replies From View on July 21, 2020, 09:03:32 AM
It was more an attempt to render "I am what I am" in future perfect to see whether it would be funny.

When I joined CaB, after a few months everyone was telling me I was ruining General Bullshit.  Recently I was told in a CaB zoom meet that my posts in HS Art were making that subforum worse, so guess what - I've stopped starting new threads there.

I use CaB as my therapy; I purge myself of loads of my stupidest thoughts here and consequently I post loads of shit stuff, but the polite reminders that I ruin a great thing always counteract the therapeutic value of trying to be myself, relax and just find equilibrium amongst like-minded people.  I'm always reminded that there are standards and relaxing is inappropriate.

This isn't meant to be an announcement or anything, but I'm in a weak place at the moment and will probably be taking a break from CaB for a while as, if I am being responsible and sensitive to what others are wanting from CaB, I know this can't be my therapy.

'There are standards' on CaB? News to me. Does that include LJAMC noting a month or two back that the mother of a murdered child had allowed herself to age and become unfuckable? Is that the sort of 'standard' we should aspire to? You have a break if you want to, Replies, but don't imagine there are some sort of standards that you've breached. Anything goes here, back-seat moderation is looked down on, so it really is somewhere where you can post what you like without being 'responsible and sensitive to what others are wanting from CaB.'

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

non capisco

Recently I was told in a CaB zoom meet that my posts in HS Art were making that subforum worse

Bloody hell, glad I never bothered looking in on any of them.  How rude!

"Hi guys, I'm on the forum as non ca.."
"YOUR POSTS ARE SHIT!!!"
*logs out*

Janie Jones

Ha RFV's comment about the zoom chats made me feel uncomfortable too. I've always found them lovely and welcoming- and my posts ARE shit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: non capisco on July 21, 2020, 09:32:40 AM
Bloody hell, glad I never bothered looking in on any of them.  How rude!

"Hi guys, I'm on the forum as non ca.."
"YOUR POSTS ARE SHIT!!!"
*logs out*

I dare say the boys and girls of CaB put their comments of mild rebuke to Reppo in a more diplomatic way, in the spirit of constructive criticism, but it does amuse me that he was being told that his posts were diluting the standards of the repository of downright inanity and puerility that is H S Art. Reminds me of the critical posts in the " Phwooar!" Thread. " No, you're objectifying women all wrong! Can you please say " look at the tits on this 'un, lads!" in a less objectionable manner?"

idunnosomename

I ogle the wimmins while mutt'ring 'bout rimmings
I'm popeye the sex pervert

Replies From View

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Sorry to have derailed the thread a bit.  Please don't continue the discussion here; I just wanted to post again to ask for nobody to think this is a response to one particular thing or to feel bad about it.  It's been cumulative, it's a weird time generally and I need a break.

bgmnts

There is a thread in H.S Art dedicated to people you want to fuck. That's the standard.

Keep up the shitposting RFV!

Really love reading your posts, they always make me laugh a lot, hope you feel better soon.

NoSleep

Well, I got it.

Gregory Torso

Recently I was told in a CaB zoom meet that my posts in HS Art were making that subforum worse, so guess what - I've stopped starting new threads there.

Whoever said that was talking utter bollocks. I enjoy your posts in HS Art. You started the Puff Siadin thread for christs sake. Hope you feel better and resume when you want to.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on July 21, 2020, 12:49:45 PM
Well, I got it.

So did I, although I was puzzled because I can't recall hearing Popeye say it.  Gloria Gaynor on the other hand...