Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the hell happened to Popeye?

Started by Virgo76, July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 21, 2020, 01:17:15 PM
So did I, although I was puzzled because I can't recall hearing Popeye say it.  Gloria Gaynor on the other hand...

They even titled a cartoon after his catchphrase.

NoSleep

And RFV has cleverly illustrated Popeye's other catchphrase. "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!" with his subsequent post.

JesusAndYourBush

I thought his catchprase was "Gugugugugugugugu".

non capisco

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 21, 2020, 01:47:44 PM
I thought his catchprase was "Gugugugugugugugu".

That's one of Phil Minton's.

I hope you feel better soon be it on or away from the boards, Replies From View mate. About a month ago, I nearly sent a PM to say how much I enjoy your posts but thought it would be too ridiculous to do that. Puffed Siadin, You Absolutely Honk of Errands Mate (very moving one too) and Sparse Jam Basketball Film are all time classics and could only have been written by you.

As Kingfishers Catch Fire
By Gerard Manley Hopkins

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
Selves — goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
Crying Whát I dó is me: for that I came.

I say móre: the just man justices;
Keeps grace: thát keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God's eye what in God's eye he is —
Chríst — for Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men's faces.

Well, if you're ever looking for a great place to go, I go to (insert your church here) and would love to see you there!

This language is simple, casual, and friendly in tone. It doesn't assume they're looking for a church and leaves the decision up to them.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on July 21, 2020, 09:03:32 AM
When I joined CaB, after a few months everyone was telling me I was ruining General Bullshit.  Recently I was told in a CaB zoom meet that my posts in HS Art were making that subforum worse, so guess what - I've stopped starting new threads there.

I've not thought any of your posts were objectionable, although I don't look in HS Art, there's too much LOLWHIMSY.

I just had another look in HS Art now, checking 4 threads at random.  It's worse than when I last looked.  I fail to see how you could make it worse! (EDIT: And by you I don't mean *you*, I mean people in general. The threads I glanced at weren't ones you'd started.)

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 21, 2020, 02:39:07 PM
About a month ago, I nearly sent a PM to say how much I enjoy your posts but thought it would be too ridiculous to do that.

I don't think that's ridiculous at all - I think it's a really nice thing to do. It's happened to me once or twice, nice messages out of the blue, at really grim points in my life and it made me feel loads better, less alone. If you feel it, do it! Everything is so crap these days, it shouldn't be a bad thing to tell someone you like what they write.

gib

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 21, 2020, 01:08:35 PM
Whoever said that was talking utter bollocks. I enjoy your posts in HS Art. You started the Puff Siadin thread for christs sake. Hope you feel better and resume when you want to.

who was this zoom cunt, anyway? I'd be interested to know how brilliant their posts are.

thenoise

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 16, 2020, 09:12:57 AM
Not to sound all gammon, but when you inject Popeye with modern day sensibilities, you haven't really got Popeye any more. The entire premise is that it's two men fighting over a woman who they believe to be their property. Without that, you might as well be making something else.

Sort of. It's been years since I saw it, but even the original cartoon was keen to subvert the idea of Olive Oyl as the helpless bimbo - she plays both men off each other in quite a cynical way, and frequently the cartoon ends with a gag of her rejecting them both, or going off on a date with a third man instead.

A group of more conservative minded TV fans I chat with (more conservative than CAB anyway) were saying something similar about Johnny Bravo - that he was a PUA, and youd never get away with this stuff nowadays. But Johnny Bravo was an idiot wasnt he? And he continually got his comeuppance every time he bothered women with his cheesy schtick. This was the 90s idea of feminism.

idunnosomename

It was always a mystery what Johnny Bravo actually intended to do with all these women he chased. He was clearly a virgin. He lived with his mum after all.

thenoise

He just wanted them to admire his hair,that he worked so hard on. And they attacked him and laughed at him. IS THAT PROGRESD WOMEN OF GREAT BRITAIN IS THAT PROGRESS??

SavageHedgehog

Johnny Bravo is, or was, disproportionately popular in India. They did a revival TV-movie about 10 years ago where Johnny became a Bollywood star in recognition of this.

popcorn

SavageHedgehog

I'm glad the last post on this thread wasn't me talking about a B-list 90s cartoon character at least. That really would have been sticking it to poor Popeye.

keir

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 16, 2020, 10:28:05 AM
He lived in a frying pan at my school

we had Spiderman, Spiderman, dropped his knickers in a frying pan, if that helps.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: keir on August 02, 2020, 05:36:04 PM
we had Spiderman, Spiderman, dropped his knickers in a frying pan, if that helps.

Bit childish.

idunnosomename

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, should be pants, that would scan

thenoise

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 02, 2020, 08:05:52 PM
Spider-Man, Spider-Man, should be pants, that would scan
That doesn't even rhyme.

idunnosomename

I think scan rhymes better with man than can

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: keir on August 02, 2020, 05:36:04 PM

There was a kid at school who's 2nd name rhymed with plop, so we had the rhyme...
(name), did a plop, and threw his knickers in a football shop.

It was never established what a football shop was and nobody ever questioned it, but we were only about 7 or 8 probably.

Think he got put in a centrifuge. Then the wind changed and he stayed that way for ever and ever. Quite tragic really.

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on July 21, 2020, 09:03:32 AMI use CaB as my therapy; I purge myself of loads of my stupidest thoughts here and consequently I post loads of shit stuff, but the polite reminders that I ruin a great thing always counteract the therapeutic value of trying to be myself, relax and just find equilibrium amongst like-minded people.  I'm always reminded that there are standards and relaxing is inappropriate.

This isn't meant to be an announcement or anything, but I'm in a weak place at the moment and will probably be taking a break from CaB for a while as, if I am being responsible and sensitive to what others are wanting from CaB, I know this can't be my therapy.

I love having somewhere to unload (upload?) my mad thoughts and that too. In any case, hope you're feeling better Replies. You're a CaB VIP mate.

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 16, 2020, 08:40:11 AMI used to think Bluto was called'Pluto' for many years.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
As you can imagine, I was quite confused to learn he had been reclassified as a dwarf planet.

You're thinking of Mickey's Mouse's dog, mate! Wasn't he sometimes called Brutus (Bluto I mean, not the Disney hound)?

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 16, 2020, 08:48:50 AMAlice The Goon - she loves Popeye.

Childhood nightmare fuel, that.

Quote from: notjosh on July 17, 2020, 04:20:14 PMThe All-New/All-Star/New Adventures Of/Kids/And Friends version of any cartoon is usually pretty bleak.

Yeah, it was a big thing in the '80s, let's try and make these long-running characters appeal to a younger generation. Here's Tom & Jerry and 'Friends' with a crap saxophone pop theme.