Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the hell happened to Popeye?

Started by Virgo76, July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

He lived in a frying pan at my school

Cuellar

He has been #cancelled for sex pestery

dissolute ocelot

"Popeye the Sailor is a fictional muscular American cartoon character"

There's allegedly a daily Popeye cartoon on Comics Kingdom drawn by the creator of terrible webcomic Something Positive, but it's paywalled.

imitationleather

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 16, 2020, 11:03:27 AM
"Popeye the Sailor is a fictional muscular American cartoon character"

Remember when they did the British remake and called it Purple Aki?

idunnosomename

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm a fictional muscular American cartoon character

petril

at my school he had no Calor Gas, so his heating and cooking were supplied in an uncommon rectal/donkey based system, from what I remember

Jockice

Quote from: imitationleather on July 16, 2020, 07:57:01 AM
Last I heard he'd opened a chain of chicken shops in America.

Popeyes is a takeaway in Sheffield city centre. A regular just before going home from the pub haunt of mine in my late teens and 20s. Merdocs' burgers were better though.

MojoJojo

It was all downhill after he was a window cleaner in Brookside/

Jockice

I think he's a victim of the smoking ban.

non capisco

How come his nephews look more like him than his son, that's what I wants to knowsk.

FredNurke

They're papal nephews. (See also: Donald Duck.)

'His' son is probably Bluto's.

Mobbd

In our primary school of the early '90s, Popeye "likes to go swimmin' to kiss all the wimmin'."

More amazingly than kids making stuff up in a playground proto-rap battle, is how there was a Popeye song in an actual poetry anthology in our school library. Usborn's My Very First Poetry Book, I think. It went:

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I live in a garbage can
I eat all the lizards and spit out their gizzards,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. (*toot-toot!*)

I might have added my own (*toot-toot!*) there.

It's obviously not as good as the rude ones from the playground but it's weird to think that this was IN PRINT. Reputable, approved, actual print.

If memory serves, the 'poem' was accompanied by a fairly monstrous unlicensed picture of Popeye himself with the lizards and the garbage can and everything. It wasn't quite the stuff of Tijuana Bibles but it was... a bit odd. Someone get googling/scanning plz.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 16, 2020, 10:28:05 AM

At my school, he was an eskimo for some reason and was living in a ball of snow (not an igloo, just a big ball of snow) and had also taken to sticking his penis out of his trousers whenever it was chilly (not to see if it was chilly, just whenever it was cold enough to expose himself, the sick bastard).

Gregory Torso

What about that burger-eating cunt? What was his name, The Gimp or something.

edit: it was Wimpy, like the restaurant. Is that where they got their name?

edit 2: Yes. I suppose I could just look these things up instead of wasting computer ink.

Gregory Torso

So there's Wimpy the restaurant, Popeyes the restaurant, Olive Garden, any restaurants named after Bluto?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 16, 2020, 11:19:10 AM
It was all downhill after he was a window cleaner in Brookside/

That was Sinbad, mate.

ollyboro

Russell Hunter played a snivelling grass called Popeye in The Sweeney episode "I Want The Man". Roy Kinnear was also in it. You can't say fairer than that.

idunnosomename

Sindbad the Sailor is the best Fleischer two-reeler. Well actually Ali Baba is my favourite for the gags.

"must be thieves around here!"

Twonty Gostelow

French Connection used to sell a Popeye doily.

Replies From View

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 16, 2020, 08:40:11 AM
I used to think Bluto was called 'Pluto' for many years.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
As you can imagine, I was quite confused to learn he had been reclassified as a dwarf planet.

Alternative sources had Bluto down as "Brutus".

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 16, 2020, 10:28:05 AM

OF COURSE HE DID!
All these other people are talking nonsense.

Dex Sawash

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I lives in a garbage can
I eats all the worms
and spits out the germs

Masterpiece of unintentional euphemism that I only just realized there

QDRPHNC

As a long-serving sailor he'll have been involved in more than his fair share of "golden rivet" initiation pranks against new recruits. "Go on, son. Stick your head out the porthole and see if you can find it." Disgusting.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: notjosh on July 16, 2020, 09:56:09 AM
Not to mention sleeping with his granny and tickling her fanny.

That's the version I knew, except in ours he lived in an "old tin can" not a caravan. and instead of tickled it was "twiddled".

Virgo76

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2020, 12:28:38 PM
Alternative sources had Bluto down as "Brutus".

You too?
Yes, it was changed to Brutus for a short while in the 1960s due to a copyright mix-up, then changed back again.
It really was a very eventful decade.

Pingers

Popeye was shit. In the days of three TV channels it was in the "I'll watch it if there's nothing else on" bracket along with Blue Peter and Mark Curry's Mullet Mayhem Marauders.

In real life, Popeye would be a roidal simpleton with spinach between his teeth, breath like a bus driver's ballbag and an overall smell of fox piss and child sperm, and Olive Oyl made Shelley Duvall look like Chuck Norris

SavageHedgehog

That's like one of those I love the 100 greatest whatever talking head comments, like "bears don't wear hats and ties, what were they thinking?!?"