Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:02:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the hell happened to Popeye?

Started by Virgo76, July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jockice on July 16, 2020, 11:16:49 AM
Popeyes is a takeaway in Sheffield city centre. A regular just before going home from the pub haunt of mine in my late teens and 20s. Merdocs' burgers were better though.
I have spent several decades annoyed at the "sexy burger" on their menu (cos it had nothing on). But that sort of cottage cheese thing they used on their cheeseburgers was pretty nice.

EDIT: It's not there any more? NOOO! (okay, I live 4000 miles away now, but still)

Dex Sawash

Popeye's (america) isn't very good.
Get yourself to a Bojangle's unless you want shrimp then you'll have to go back to Popeye's.

I like to call it Pope Ye's. Only just now realized it could also be pope yes

Jockice

Quote from: Pingers on July 17, 2020, 04:23:52 PM
The thread has now taken on a deeper resonance than any of us could have imagined.

Even worse, I'm sure it was there a couple of days ago. They've just changed it to annoy me.

lazyhour

It's a tough one, but I'd have to say my favourite long-running Japanese men's lifestyle magazine is Brutus. Popeye runs it close.

Let's not forget Olive for the girls.

Pink Gregory

There's something about not animating the mouths during speaking and almost never having closeups that makes these hilarious

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on July 17, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
It's gone! I've just driven through the city centre and it's been done up and replaced by Pasim Kebab. I'll miss it. Even though it's about a quarter of a century since I was last in there. I may set up a petition.

Pasam sorry. It's been open over a year according to this. I'm on West Street usually once a week at the very least. But I've never noticed. I'd swear in front of a court that Popeyes was still there until today.

I'm getting old. But just look at what their website's called. False pretences or what?

https://popeyes-fried-chicken-takeaway.business.site/

Petey Pate

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 16, 2020, 02:47:20 PM
That's like one of those I love the 100 greatest whatever talking head comments, like "bears don't wear hats and ties, what were they thinking?!?"

To be fair, if your only experience of Popeye is either the dreadful 1960s King Features shorts, the even worse Hanna-Barbera revival or the horribly redrawn colourised Fleischer shorts, then I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that it's shit.

Jasha

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM
A random thought. Has Popeye vanished off the face of the Earth?

Retired to Malta

dr_christian_troy

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
Fucking hell! Fuck! Jesus... I'm not a joke, okay, all right, hello?! I am a man. I am a man, you know? You know?! This, THIS... THIS IS MY LIFE!! I'M A HUMAN BEING, AND ALL THIS IS MY LIFE!! And it's... collapsing in front of me! You know, Tom's lot, they're never going to want me, are they? And fucking Hugh, now, he... Jesus Christ, this is all...! I AM A MAN!!! AND, NO YOU DON'T, I'M IRRELEVANT!! No, no, go away! I'm irrelevant, I'm irrelevant, I'm irrelevant! FUCKING HUGH JUST WANTS TO SPEAK TO TINKY WINKY?!! WELL FUCK TINKY WINKY!!! FUCK YOU, TINKY WINKY!!! AUF WIEDERSEHEN, PET! THE PARTY'S OVER! GOODBYE, YELLOW BRICK ROAD! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HITLER?! WELL, HE HAD A MOUSTACHE AND HE LIVED OVER THERE!! FUCK US ALL!!!!
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
*toot toot*

Virgo76

Quote from: magval on July 17, 2020, 07:40:53 AM
The ice creams fans round here all still play the Popeye theme. Is that his legacy?

Ours always seem to play 'Just one cornetto' even though nobody much under 40 now remembers the advert.

idunnosomename

I have two near me, one plays O Sole Mio (i.e. Just one cornetto) and the other plays Barnacle Bill (the Blue Peter theme). i have never heard the popeye theme. never sure about the theory if it was pinched from G&S Pirates of Penzance (for I am a pirate king!). it really doesn't match up beyond the first measure.

non capisco

Not a word of a lie, there's one near me that plays 'The Twelve Days Of Christmas'. How is that even an option?!

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 17, 2020, 09:04:21 PM
To be fair, if your only experience of Popeye is either the dreadful 1960s King Features shorts, the even worse Hanna-Barbera revival or the horribly redrawn colourised Fleischer shorts, then I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that it's shit.

Aye, although the coloured shorts were OK when I was a kid and didntsk knowsk any bettskers.

I saw those on Cartoon Network though, were the Fleischers ever actually shown on terrestrial British TV? Genome suggests BBC only ever showed the Hanna-Barbera stuff.

Dewt

Quote from: non capisco on July 17, 2020, 11:20:03 PM
Not a word of a lie, there's one near me that plays 'The Twelve Days Of Christmas'. How is that even an option?!
I would genuinely love to see how an ice cream van music player is configured, and some footage of an ice cream van operator choosing their theme from the ice cream van music catalogue.

Techmoan get on it

NoSleep

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 18, 2020, 09:40:56 AM
I saw those on Cartoon Network though, were the Fleischers ever actually shown on terrestrial British TV?

The Fleischer Popeyes were shown on British TV many years ago, at least. I have an early memory of viewing a TV in a shop window display and seeing those shutters open to reveal the title of the cartoon. Also clearly remember seeing Goonland on TV as a child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZg9yapEfk

Dewt

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 09:49:33 AM
I would genuinely love to see how an ice cream van music player is configured, and some footage of an ice cream van operator choosing their theme from the ice cream van music catalogue.

Techmoan get on it
https://www.icecreamtruckhorns.com/product/digital-ice-cream-truck-horn-kit/

non capisco

I saw those on Cartoon Network though, were the Fleischers ever actually shown on terrestrial British TV? Genome suggests BBC only ever showed the Hanna-Barbera stuff.

Some of the black and white Fleischer Bros ones were definitely shown again in a spate on late 80s BBC2, in primetime so not really as part of a kids TV presentation, possibly as part of some kind of 'History of Animation' or BBC anniversary strand. 'Goonland' as mentioned by NoSleep was definitely one of them as I remember my mum saying it was the one that gave her the creeps when she saw it on TV as a child. I have some kind of memory of them then being shown as part of one of those summer replacements for 'Saturday Superstore' or 'Going Live' hosted by Mark Curry.

Earlier in the 80s I remember TV-AM showing the very cheap looking 60s TV ones whilst Children's BBC had the more contemporary but in retrospect still shite Hanna-Barbera 'All New Popeye Show' ones. It confused me when I was six why Popeye's nemesis was called Brutus on ITV and Bluto on the Beeb.

Dewt

Quote from: non capisco on July 18, 2020, 10:11:26 AM
Some of the black and white Fleischer Bros ones were definitely shown again in a spate on late 80s BBC2, in primetime so not really as part of a kids TV presentation, possibly as part of some kind of 'History of Animation' or BBC anniversary strand.
They were often in the five-minute filler slot between children's TV and adult programming or whatever in the mid-late 90s. The Murun Buchstansangur slot. I remember because they scared me.

SavageHedgehog

Thinking about it I'm pretty sure there were some as part of Tony Robinson's Stay Tooned series (sadly underrepresented on YouTube) as well.

Petey Pate

Aye, although the coloured shorts were OK when I was a kid and didntsk knowsk any bettskers.

The Famous Studios/Paramount-era cartoons were definitely on the BBC during the 90s, as I distinctly recall seeing the AAP opening.

I think the BBC had the rights to most of the cartoon library that was then owned by Turner, which included Tom and Jerry, the pre-1948 colour Warner Bros cartoons, Pink Panther and Hanna-Barbera TV shows.  My memory of seeing old cartoons on ITV were mostly Disney and post-1948 Warner Bros.  That said, the later Warner Bros cartoons were on the BBC at some point too, possibly after Turner merged with Time Warner and all of the cartoons ended up being owned by the same corporation.

idunnosomename

my dad used to tape popeyes off the bbc pretty comprehensively. They probably showed the black and white ones into about 1990. then it was Rolf's Cartoon Club (cancelled) and Stay Tooned! with Tony Robinson really. Otherwise there were a few classic Tom and Jerrys to stagger the Saturday schedule into the weird off-by-five minutes thing but that was about it by the mid 90s

Popeye the sailor man!
Popeye the sailor man!
Popeye the sailor man and his black and white spinach can

Early in the morning
He attacks without warning
he breaks into your kitchen with a HAMMER

Maybe, you can never be sure
there'll be SMACK, THUD... scrape...
I'M COMING THROUGH YOUR DOOR

*poop poop*

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Popeye was also one of Eddie Large's reliable " go to" impression in his impressive repertoire, lest we forget. When they really wanted to push the boat out, they'd do a short sketch, with Eddie dressed as Popeye, and Syd as Olive Oyl.

Is he the only kids cartoon character to have visible tattoos?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 18, 2020, 10:37:05 AM
That said, the later Warner Bros cartoons were on the BBC at some point too, possibly after Turner merged with Time Warner and all of the cartoons ended up being owned by the same corporation.

Yeah, BBC did show blocks of later WB cartoons in the weekend morning CBBC slots 2003-2005ish, and probably in other timeslots as well. I remember them going to the too late well of post-1964 cartoons a bit too often from what I saw though.

A bloody thug.   Not a good advert for a balanced diet either.

notjosh

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 09:53:08 AM
https://www.icecreamtruckhorns.com/product/digital-ice-cream-truck-horn-kit/

Bit of a swizz that. The '10 songs' included features 4 versions of Turkey in the Straw, and 3 of them are just called "Ice Cream Truck Theme Song"

My personal favourite ice cream theme is Dr Zhivago, which I would hear constantly in the three years I lived in Sheffield.

Dewt

Quote from: notjosh on July 18, 2020, 11:34:08 AM
Bit of a swizz that. The '10 songs' included features 4 versions of Turkey in the Straw, and 3 of them are just called "Ice Cream Truck Theme Song"
American market. The only one that actually gets played is The Entertainer, and most American brains know it as Ice Cream Tuck Song.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 09:49:33 AM

Techmoan get on it

At the tail end of CB radio popularity  (80s) they often had some music choices built in to the PA capability. The "dixie" tune was the one everyone was after since the Dukes of Hazzard always did a dixie horn after a cool shenanigans. The early ones played just a handful but they grew to dozens of tune capability, all pointless shit like Greensleeves[nb]have just enraged at least one CaBber there[/nb]

petril

you've just reminded me I'm still yet to trace what the fuck my local van's on now. I must record it, because I'm sure it's been used on telly and ugggh I NEED TO KNOW.

it's a step up from Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Poka Dot Bikini, but only because the chimes didn't have the AW YEA voice sample