Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No Man's Sky goes all Dead Space...

Started by surreal, July 16, 2020, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on October 21, 2020, 12:10:53 AM
there's a newer NMS thread here by the way :) https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,81535.0.html

Thanks Mobias, noted ;)

Started this tonight, got a shitty rotting planet with a toxic atmosphere and acid rain and explodey poisonous plants. No dangerous animals, just a few dumb lumbering beasts who look like chubby anteaters and who run off squealing whenever I get close. Turned one into steak and felt a bit bad about it... also found a lot of space bases, this planet gets a lot of visitors for such a bleak place.

Loving it so far, playing on Survival Mode and enjoying seeing how far I can get from my ship and back without dying. I get the feeling it's about increasing your range, a bit like Subnautica but with the potential to make it absolutely huge.

Quote from: Bently Sheds on September 27, 2020, 05:20:25 PM
In the ship inventory, top right is the ship name with a pen icon beside it. Click on that to change your ship name. Mine are all named after soap opera characters, so I have a freighter called The Phil Mitchell in which I park both The Len Fairclough and The Albert Tatlock.

Heh, nice. I named all my Subnautica bases after Alan Partridge's ideas for house names and my submarines were called RONALADO, KLOPPO and The Penetrator. Think I might go for a snooker player theme with NMS. Look out for the Heavy Offensive Unit Shaun Murphy and the Starship Ding.

Also I'm loving the quotes from sci fi authors and scientists whenever I die. Getting a real thrill out of those.

Blue Jam

Also does everyone start this game on the same planet? The names of some of the plants don't seem procedurally-generated. In fact they all seem a bit rude. Found a decidedly nobular one called something like Phallixus. Huhuhuhuh.

Mobius

There's 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets and everyone starts on a random one so it's different every game, and the chances of you finding a planet or something someone else has discovered is very slim but not impossible. Apparently it'd literally take 58 billion years to visit every planet.

People online will post location of nice planets and nice ships and their cool bases - you can visit them but requires hyperdrives, warp fuel, jumping through galaxies and all that.

MojoJojo

I think it says "Discovered by" somewhere which will tell you if someone else discovered.

Blue Jam

Got to the "second" planet now- actually my third as I got a bit cocky and stopped at another one en route. Saw this one which looked quite earth-like but landed to find it was mostly covered in (highly radioactive) water with tiny islands that were few and (very) far between. Happily the island I landed on was also festooned with uranium so I was able to refuel and after going for a swim and watching this cool Loch Ness Monster-type thing for a bit I was able to take off again. I don't know if the planetary conditions were random or if this was the game telling me "Come on, you don't want to stop here, stop pissing about and play the fucking game".

Now on a planet with some angry but thankfully slow dinosaurs and have just built myself a crappy wooden shed. Also had a chat a humanoid  lifeform, some ungrateful prick who seemed very pissed off when I could only offer him some commonly-found resources as a gift and therefore decided to teach me only one word- and that one word was "traveller", the great big racist. As soon as I can upgrade The Ding Junhui with missile launchers I'm gonna fly back and bomb that miserable little UKIP alien twat and his yawning dustbowl of a planet to absolute fuck.

Loving the sentinels too. Every time one of them gets suspicious and starts staring at me I just stop half-inching precious natural resources and we have a bit of a staring-out contest until it flies off. I feel like Will Smith at the start of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when the cops catch him spraying graffiti on a wall and he gets all "Oh this? I was just spraying some deodorant, Officer".

Having a lot of fun so far. How long is the story? Is there a story with an end point or does the game just keep you on rails for a bit before it let's you go freestyle with the crafting and exploration?